Great article by William Kristol

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:29 am
The Turn

Hot July brings cooling showers, / Apricots and gillyflowers, as Sara Coleridge's doggerel has it. But for the American antiwar movement, this July brought only a cold drizzle, wilted blossoms, and bitter fruit.

For the Iraq war's opponents, July began as a month of hope. It ended in retreat. It began with Democratic unity in proclaiming the inevitability of American defeat. It ended with respected military analysts--Democrats, no less!--reporting that the situation on the ground had improved, and that the war might be winnable. It began with a plan for a series of votes in Congress that were supposed to stampede nervous Republicans against the continued prosecution of the war. It ended with the GOP spine stiffened, no antiwar legislation passed, and the Democratic Congress adjourning in disarray, with approval ratings lower than President Bush's. It began with Democratic presidential candidates competing in their antiwar pandering. It ended with them having second thoughts--with Barack Obama, losing ground to Hillary Clinton because he seemed naive about real world threats, frantically suggesting that he would invade Pakistan.

July also began with the liberal media disparaging the troops. It ended with the liberal media in retreat. The New Republic had to acknowledge that its pseudonymous soldier's account of an incident purportedly showing the dehumanizing effects of the Iraq conflict was a lie: It had taken place in Kuwait (if it happened at all), before this imaginative private ever saw the horrors of war. The New York Times was so shocked to discover in late July that
public opinion hadn't continued to move against the war that it redid a poll. The answer didn't change.

Click for the rest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:35 am
@Drnaline,
Bill Kristol is smart and right, most of the time. Nonetheless, I don't trust him. He's a hardcore Zionist who'd sacrifice anything for Israel. Yes.....I generally favor Israel, but as a Christian nationalist, I'm infinitely more concerned about America's wellbeing than anything else. While I'd fight for Israel's right to exist, I'm not prepared to allow Israel to dominate and/or manipulate American politics. We must remain independent of any and all external controls.
0 Replies