Positive Report by Petraeus Could Split House Democrats on War

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:32 am
washingtonpost.com

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) said Monday that a strongly positive report on progress on Iraq by Army Gen. David Petraeus likely would split Democrats in the House and impede his party's efforts to press for a timetable to end the war.

Clyburn, in an interview with the washingtonpost.com video program PostTalk, said Democrats might be wise to wait for the Petraeus report, scheduled to be delivered in September, before charting next steps in their year-long struggle with President Bush over the direction of U.S. strategy.

Clyburn noted that Petraeus carries significant weight among the 47 members of the Blue Dog caucus in the House, a group of moderate to conservative Democrats. Without their support, he said, Democratic leaders would find it virtually impossible to pass legislation setting a timetable for withdrawal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 811 • Replies: 16
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:04 am
@Drnaline,
Iraqis need to **** or get off the pot, we can't do it all for them, hell WWII would almost be over by now. They go on vacation instead of fixing their problems? **** 'em, time to actually go after the terrorist instead of sitting in that shithole nation building for a bunch of backwards ass monkeys that niether have the will nor inclination to help themselves.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:21 am
@Drnaline,
How humanitarian of you.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:27 am
@Drnaline,
http://www.talkingproud.us/ImagesEagle/BushNationBldg.jpg

"I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called nation-building. . . . I think what we need to do is convince people who live in the lands they live in to build the nations. Maybe I'm missing something here. I mean, we're going to have a kind of nation-building corps from America? Absolutely not."
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:46 pm
@Drnaline,
They lack willpower and vision.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:05 pm
@Drnaline,
Front Page of the local paper today say's American deaths/per month in an annual low in July :-)
92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:59 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;28793 wrote:
Front Page of the local paper today say's American deaths/per month in an annual low in July :-)

And double what it was same time last year, good job :thumbup:
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:03 pm
@Drnaline,
it was 76 dead in july

that equals 2.4/day

the adverage for the entire war is 2.2 per day, I don't see where .2 is double 2.2
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:05 pm
@Drnaline,
Last July the death toll was 43, this July it was 78, that's almost double. Your amazing math skills with your fellow Americans lives are amazing.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:16 pm
@Drnaline,
no but this years number more accurately follows the general mortality curve of the war. The July 06 death toll seems to be an anomaly and not representative of a normal month

therefore your statement is spin
92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:43 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;28814 wrote:
no but this years number more accurately follows the general mortality curve of the war. The July 06 death toll seems to be an anomaly and not representative of a normal month

therefore your statement is spin

There you go again, calling dead Americans "spin" and "averages". Glad you were never next to me in a foxhole.

I'd say your BS "averages" and "mortality curves" are hte spin. Trying to make the war look useful, or like we are doing good because hte deaths are down this month, when they are DOUBLE what they were this very same time last year, and calling it "progress". You chickenhawks are amazing.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:48 pm
@Drnaline,
Quote:
You chickenhawks are amazing.
Have any problems cashing those checks?
92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:53 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;28824 wrote:
Have any problems cashing those checks?

Wow, your lack of creativity in attempting to insult is even more amazing. Put the cheetos down and try using your brain, maybe you won't sound so dumb. Seriously, what does that have to do with the topic at hand? Or do you somehow think it corresponds? I guess now that you are a published writer, you can call you lack of brainpower "creative liscence".
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:55 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;28823 wrote:
I'd say your BS "averages" and "mortality curves" are hte spin.

[Translation]Stop arguing with facts and numbers :frown: [/Translation]
92b16vx

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:57 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;28827 wrote:
[Translation]Stop arguing with facts and numbers :frown: [/Translation]

Yea, facts like we suffered DOUBLE the deaths this July as we did last July, yet somehow you chickenhawks are trumpeting it as a "record low", because the average is blah, blah, blah.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:02 pm
@Drnaline,
Before it was "almost double" now it double?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:07 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;28826 wrote:
Wow, your lack of creativity in attempting to insult is even more amazing. Put the cheetos down and try using your brain, maybe you won't sound so dumb. Seriously, what does that have to do with the topic at hand? Or do you somehow think it corresponds? I guess now that you are a published writer, you can call you lack of brainpower "creative liscence".
Quote:
Seriously, what does that have to do with the topic at hand?
My chickenhawk, you tell me? Regardless, anytime you bring up chickenhawk, i will bring up you not minding the chickenhawks when they were paying your salary and combat pay. But for some reason now you mind us paying other soldier who are still there in the fight. Little selfish of you isn't it?
Quote:
Or do you somehow think it corresponds?
Sure does, they were my tax dollars then, they are my tax dollars now.
Quote:
I guess now that you are a published writer, you can call you lack of brainpower "creative liscence"
Better fix that last word, you know how it gets to Aaron, LOL
0 Replies