Sunni sheiks join fight vs. insurgency

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:08 am
Sunni sheiks join fight vs. insurgency - Yahoo! News

By TODD PITMAN, Associated Press Writer
Sun Mar 25, 3:39 PM ET

RAMADI, Iraq - Not long ago it would have been unthinkable: a Sunni sheik allying himself publicly with American forces in a xenophobic city at the epicenter of Iraq's Sunni insurgency.

Today, there is no mistaking whose side Sheik Abdul Sattar al-Rishawi is on. Outside his walled home, a U.S. tank is on permanent guard beside a clutch of towering date palms and a protective dirt berm.

The 36-year-old sheik is leading a growing movement of Sunni tribesmen who have turned against al-Qaida-linked insurgents in Anbar province. The dramatic shift in alliances may have done more in a few months to ease daily street battles and undercut the insurgency here than American forces have achieved in years with arms.

The American commander responsible for Ramadi, Col. John W. Charlton, said the newly friendly sheiks, combined with an aggressive counterinsurgency strategy and the presence of thousands of new Sunni police on the streets, have helped cut attacks in the city by half in recent months.

Makes me wonder how the Dem's are gonna spin the surge, good early indications before the bulk of them even get there, a shiek brings 41 tribes and counting into counter terrorist activitys. The Dems gotta do something quick before this thing becomes a success.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,110 • Replies: 18
No top replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:18 am
@Drnaline,
The guys got guts I hope he sticks to it...I hope he wipes out every Al Queda idiot in the country but I don't see it making any difference...a
Al queda was never that popular in Iraq or that numerous...The Iraqis will eventually make peace in that cuntry and will do it on their terms

Its not about spinning anything...the war has been mismanaged so badly that even if it works out there is and should be hell to pay.......It would also be wise to consider that Al Queda is not an Iraqi animal..and it was inevitable that Iraqis would turn against them
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:57 pm
@Drnaline,
The Dems are going after Gonzales now because there isn't enough bad news coming out of Iraq. They don't want stories of success spoiling their 2008 Presidential election. Iraq is definitely on the road to recovery. There will be set backs of course, but the news outlets are determined to undermine the war effort. The partisan political leaders of the Dems could care less about American success's or lives lost. All they want is to make the current adminstration look bad so they may gain from it. I have my sources in Iraq, and please believe me when I say things are going fairly well over in Iraq compared to a year ago. Real progress is being made, but you will never hear of it.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 02:01 pm
@Drnaline,
No I think they just hate him...I mean GWB...
Silverchild79

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 04:08 pm
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;12418 wrote:
No I think they just hate him...I mean GWB...

Oh they def hate him, one for the 2000 election (and either candidate would have been hated coming out of that debacle).

And two for being the face of a party who impeached their golden boy in the 90's, Clinton was well on his way to being the left wing Reagan until Monica-gate, the Dem's have been bitter ever sense.

That's why they try and make ever move Bush makes look like a political crime, they are hoping beyond hope that he does ANYTHING they can impeach him for and say "Gotcha Back". And while I'll admit that sounds a bit paranoid, applying that theory to the actions the Dem's are taking answers more questions about their conduct then it raises.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 09:57 pm
@Drnaline,
It would be hard to disagree with you. There conduct speaks volumes.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 10:46 am
@Drnaline,
Hey, they are not stupid, at least they recognize who is going to be successful and the folly of biting the hand that feeds you. The Sunni's are all ago when it comes to keeping the cash flowing and the western countries are their customers.

Plus they got caught with their pants down, all hairy sweaty butts exposed through sneaking the nasty Islamists money. Funny how their religious beliefs ebb and sway with whatever they are trying to justify.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 11:13 am
@Drnaline,
whats wrong with hairy guys some of us are really nice
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:21 pm
@Drnaline,
Quote:
Clinton was well on his way to being the left wing Reagan until Monica-gate, the Dem's have been bitter ever sense.

Not exactly, though I can't remember specifically why... ugh, where's Conservative Comebacks to Liberal Lies when you need it. Anyway, there's a lot more scandal to Clinton than Monica. She wasn't the only scandal of that nature, and there's actually speculation that he's involved in a big murder plot, there are a lot of people connected to him and those who turned against him, and just people who were going to testify against him in something or other who died under mysterious circumstances, and he wasn't that good a President at all, really.
0 Replies

Willie cv

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:35 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;12371 wrote:
Sunni sheiks join fight vs. insurgency - Yahoo! News

By TODD PITMAN, Associated Press Writer
Sun Mar 25, 3:39 PM ET

RAMADI, Iraq - Not long ago it would have been unthinkable: a Sunni sheik allying himself publicly with American forces in a xenophobic city at the epicenter of Iraq's Sunni insurgency.

Today, there is no mistaking whose side Sheik Abdul Sattar al-Rishawi is on. Outside his walled home, a U.S. tank is on permanent guard beside a clutch of towering date palms and a protective dirt berm.

The 36-year-old sheik is leading a growing movement of Sunni tribesmen who have turned against al-Qaida-linked insurgents in Anbar province. The dramatic shift in alliances may have done more in a few months to ease daily street battles and undercut the insurgency here than American forces have achieved in years with arms.

The American commander responsible for Ramadi, Col. John W. Charlton, said the newly friendly sheiks, combined with an aggressive counterinsurgency strategy and the presence of thousands of new Sunni police on the streets, have helped cut attacks in the city by half in recent months.

Makes me wonder how the Dem's are gonna spin the surge, good early indications before the bulk of them even get there, a shiek brings 41 tribes and counting into counter terrorist activitys. The Dems gotta do something quick before this thing becomes a success.

A blog? Which isnt there anymore? LOL!!!!

How about this? The newest protests by the Shiites, the ones Bush backs, against the occupation in Iraq. See, the war ended when Bush landed on the air craft carrier...all he is doing now is keeping us there protecting US oil men and his VPs Halliburton.
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:26 pm
@Drnaline,
You liberals. Why do you always contradict yourselves? Is Bush stealing oil from Iraq or are gas prices too high because of him? Perhaps the oil companies are withholding the Iraqi oil from us in a grand conspiracy. That must be it.
Willie cv

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 05:05 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;12723 wrote:
You liberals. Why do you always contradict yourselves? Is Bush stealing oil from Iraq or are gas prices too high because of him? Perhaps the oil companies are withholding the Iraqi oil from us in a grand conspiracy. That must be it.

All of the above...now you're getting it..the delusions which are Bush.
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:29 pm
@Drnaline,
Whaat??? I was being sarcastic. If the oil companies don't sell to us, they don't get money.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:24 pm
@Drnaline,
But if they increase prices while still having surplus oil they make even more money.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:26 am
@Willie cv,
Willie;12719 wrote:
A blog? Which isnt there anymore? LOL!!!!

How about this? The newest protests by the Shiites, the ones Bush backs, against the occupation in Iraq. See, the war ended when Bush landed on the air craft carrier...all he is doing now is keeping us there protecting US oil men and his VPs Halliburton.
Here is one that works, Sunni Sheiks Join Fight Vs. Insurgency - washingtonpost.com You could also try the search feature, most sites have them.
Got any proof for the rest of your statement, or is it just speculation?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:27 am
@Willie cv,
Willie;12726 wrote:
All of the above...now you're getting it..the delusions which are Bush.

Again, got any proof? I expect your answer to be "none of the above."
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:32 am
@markx15,
markx15;12745 wrote:
But if they increase prices while still having surplus oil they make even more money.
Oil company's do not fix pricing. That is illegal. Oil companys add a handling charge if you want to call it that. They do not control the price of the product they peddle. That is determined by world markets.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:42 pm
@Drnaline,
All they have to do is wait an extra day to deliver, bam higher prices.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 09:23 pm
@Drnaline,
Not if the demand is not there. If the scenario could be true then i guess waiting that one day could also mean a loss, not necessarily a profit.
0 Replies