Lieberman Warns Democrats: I May Join GOP

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:00 am
Way to go Joe, one of the few libbys i like and support. Here is one of the reasons why.

Lieberman Warns Democrats: I May Join GOP

Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut fired a shot across the bow of the Senate's Democratic majority, warning them he may bolt the party and join the GOP if Congress votes to withhold funding for the war in Iraq.

The move would give Republicans control of the Senate, since Democrats hold the majority by one vote.

Lieberman, who calls himself an "independent Democrat," has been among the strongest supporters of the war on terror and President Bush's plan for a troop surge in Iraq.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 02:23 am
@Drnaline,
Go , Joe !!
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm
@Drnaline,
War on terror and war in Iraq---two different things
markx15

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:33 pm
@Drnaline,
Diferent, but not unrelated.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:47 am
@Drnaline,
War on terror started after 9/11. War in Iraq is a continuation from our first altercation.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:00 pm
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;11478 wrote:
War on terror and war in Iraq---two different things

War on terror is every where. Iraq included
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:06 pm
@Drnaline,
To a degree, but not in a way that justifies billions spent and 3,000 dead. I've never had a problem with the necessary projection of military force in a very dangerous world, but it has to be for very specific and necessary reasons and must have a direct effect on those reasons for going to war...
Reagaknight

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;11543 wrote:
To a degree, but not in a way that justifies billions spent and 3,000 dead. I've never had a problem with the necessary projection of military force in a very dangerous world, but it has to be for very specific and necessary reasons and must have a direct effect on those reasons for going to war...

How about millions dead if we pull out of Iraq and allow the country to break down into chaos with sections that are terrorist friendly, and the terrorists housed and trained there attack us? Is that justified?
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
@Drnaline,
Yes there will be chaos etc. but us being there is not stopping it. If it was letting off maybe there would be some justification for staying the duration, but it seems that our only strategy is to stay and hope for the best. I am and always was against a war in Iraq...BUT we did have a chance to nail down the occupation as well as the invasion which we won hands down. There is no way to tell what level the violence will peak at if we leave. It might be bad, it might be the same...Your right to a degree it won't stop until someone is in control.
I can see having a regional presence maybe even a large one to keep Iran at bay but I don't see that us staying there will change the final equation all that mucch and call me selfish I am more concerned about the lives of our guys who WILL be killed if we stay there than other people who might be killed if we leave.
0 Replies