Texas restaurant takes pesos.

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:46 am
Texas Restaurant Accepts Pesos

Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2007 9:35 a.m. EST
Texas Restaurant Accepts Pesos

Mexican pesos won't buy you much north of the border. But from Monday they'll buy you a pizza.

A Dallas-based pizza chain which caters to the Hispanic community is accepting the Mexican currency at all of its 59 U.S. stores starting on Monday, giving the greenback some unusual competition at the cash register.

"Unlike many other businesses for us it makes sense. Our stores are located in predominately Hispanic communities and so the majority of our customers are Hispanic," said Andrew Gamm, director of brand development for Pizza Patron.

"We know that a large number of them travel back and forth between the U.S. and Mexico and consequently have some pesos left over in their pocket. The pizza business is extremely competitive and we thought this was a way to position ourselves in relation to our competitors," he told Reuters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:58 am
@Drnaline,
I'm sure they aren't accepting the peso at face value so I don't see a problem.

What they did in my area when the Canadian dollar was a lot less than the US dollar is offer discounts to Canadians or special days they offered goods at par.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:27 am
@Drnaline,
I really don't see anything wrong there , unless it involes large amounts of $$ and pesos , then it would look like money laundering .
We as Americans are accustomed to using US dollars when we travel to other countries , and they take our $$ usually without question . Why shouldn't a businessman here take pesos ? If he plays his cards right , he might make a buck or two by watching the exchange rate .
0 Replies