After 100 hours, prospects look bleak

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:24 pm
Townhall.com::After 100 hours, prospects look bleak::By Donald Lambro

WASHINGTON -- There's been a lot of speculation about what is going to happen when Democrats take control of Congress this month, but the likely answer may well be "not much."

Yes, we will have a divided government again but for those of us who believe in our constitutional system of checks and balances against an all-powerful central government, that is not a bad thing. The Democrats will no doubt be conducting a string of politically motivated investigations into the Bush administration. But even that kind of adversarial oversight can be healthy if it shines some light on dark places in need of a housecleaning.

Besides, no one expects the administration or the Republicans to lie down and be rolled by a bunch of Democratic committee chairmen. They know how to fight back, and no doubt will do so with gusto.

As for a massive change in programs and policies, an overhaul of the insanely complex tax code, Social Security reform or fixing whatever your issue may be -- don't hold your breath.

To be sure, Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi's 100 hours of nonstop votes on the Democrats' campaign agenda will look and sound like the House majority is getting things done: new restrictions on lobbyists, raising the minimum wage to $7.25, higher taxes on the oil and gas industry, and enacting the remaining recommendations of the 9/11 Commission, among other things.

Let the fun begin. Any one wanna bet the new Congress is gonna be a lame duck?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,983 • Replies: 22
No top replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:15 pm
@Drnaline,
I don't know about the lame duck thing, but Democrats plan to start without any input from Republicans.

No input
Bean cv

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:11 pm
@Drnaline,
That's a good article. I personnaly would go with the more honorable thing and folow the pledge throught the entire time, including the first 100 hours. Then again, I also believe that a pledge such as that should be made every time that new officials are elected, regardless of which party is in power.
Aside from that, it looks like they're going to be doing a fairly good job and a lot of progress is going to be made. It's a big relief that each party only has one house each now as far as the legislative and executive branches go.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:46 pm
@Drnaline,
Democrats aren't going to do anything at all. They are going to continue to do what they do best and blame everyone else without putting up any kind of alternative plan that works
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:01 pm
@Drnaline,
Oh ye of little faith.Very Happy
0 Replies

Whatever cv

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:50 pm
@Drnaline,
First week on the job, and the democrats did much more than the 13 years in office the republicans ever did for the American worker, family and soldier.:headbang:
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:22 am
@Drnaline,
Hello Whatever.

Welcome.:cool:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:07 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;8949 wrote:
I don't know about the lame duck thing, but Democrats plan to start without any input from Republicans.

No input

From your link.
Quote:
But instead of allowing Republicans to fully participate in deliberations, as promised after the Democratic victory in the Nov. 7 midterm elections, Democrats now say they will use House rules to prevent the opposition from offering alternative measures, assuring speedy passage of the bills and allowing their party to trumpet early victories.

So much for the promise of bipartisanship. To think the Demo's would keep there word, figures. They will accept credit for being speedy, but alienate repugs into non partisanship. Thats ok with me as i see it ending up that way. It just turned out more sooner then later.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:15 am
@Whatever cv,
Whatever!;8971 wrote:
First week on the job, and the democrats did much more than the 13 years in office the republicans ever did for the American worker, family and soldier.:headbang:
All democrats did were symbolic gestures. To make it look like they were getting stuff done. Will they actually, probably not. Because they just pissed on the other side they need to get **** done. Will there legislation make it passed the house? What about ever making it too the presidents desk?
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:35 am
@Drnaline,
I'm not happy with the Democrats attitude of keeping the Republicans out of the loop, but it's also a case of the Republicans getting a taste of their own medicine.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 05:54 pm
@Drnaline,
It holds true for both sides. Medicine is what they will get.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:30 pm
@Drnaline,
Townhall.com::Promises, promises::By Cal Thomas

In June of 2004, when then-House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was trying to put the best face on Democratic intentions should they win a majority in the 2006 election, she issued a "minority bill of rights." It promised that Democrats would not treat Republicans as Republicans often treated Democrats should voters put Democrats back in charge of the House.

Pelosi promised a "bipartisan administration of the House" and a return to a more "regular democratic order for legislation." That meant bills would be considered under a procedure that "allows open, full and fair debate consisting of a full amendment process that grants the minority the right to offer its alternatives, including a substitute." Pelosi promised, "Members should have at least 24 hours to examine bills and conference report text prior to floor consideration. Rules governing floor debate must be reported before 10 p.m. for a bill to be considered the following day."

In the political version of what might be called, "of course, I'll respect you in the morning," House Democrats have announced they intend to break that promise. They will use House rules to keep Republicans from offering alternative measures because they want to show voters how quickly they can pass their "first 100 hours" agenda and allowing Republicans to offer amendments or alternative legislation, they figure, would slow them down.
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:43 pm
@Drnaline,
Considering The Democrats got elected for the reasons connected to the bills they are about to introduce, I understand why she chose this approach. The Republicans don't have anything constructive to add to the debate.Very Happy
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:33 pm
@Drnaline,
Are you the arbitor for being constructive? And who getts included even though another reason they got elected was saying the repugs would have a say, if they won? One campaign promise out the window and you are in agreement with it. Will you complain when the demo's can't get anything else through?
Grahammissionar

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:22 pm
@Drnaline,
I am so glad the Dems won back power from the Neo Cons.
I languished in an Eastern Europe secret camp where I was raped and tortured by the Dubya's Romans legion.
I believe that Nancy Pelosi ordered my release.
The Dubya ordered my arrest because I wrote about 911 back in the 90s.

The lord gave me the power to foresee the future.
-----John Shaw
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:14 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;9025 wrote:
Are you the arbitor for being constructive? And who getts included even though another reason they got elected was saying the repugs would have a say, if they won? One campaign promise out the window and you are in agreement with it. Will you complain when the demo's can't get anything else through?

If you know of any lawmakers in Washington who kept every promise they made, by all means post their name.

One move by the Democrats to actually get something done and you start freaking out is kind of comical. You seem to be in for a rough 2 years. I can't imagine your blood pressure when they take full control in 08.Very Happy
Drnaline

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:37 am
@Grahammissionar,
Grahammissionar;9032 wrote:
I am so glad the Dems won back power from the Neo Cons.
I languished in an Eastern Europe secret camp where I was raped and tortured by the Dubya's Romans legion.
I believe that Nancy Pelosi ordered my release.
The Dubya ordered my arrest because I wrote about 911 back in the 90s.

-----John Shaw
I find that hard to believe? Where in eastern europe? I think the secret is out so you can tell us about it.
Define what you consider "torture?"
Believed nancy released you, that must mean no proof?
Was what you wrote and were imprisoned for published some where?
Quote:

What am i having for breakfast tomorrow?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:45 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;9037 wrote:
If you know of any lawmakers in Washington who kept every promise they made, by all means post their name.

One move by the Democrats to actually get something done and you start freaking out is kind of comical. You seem to be in for a rough 2 years. I can't imagine your blood pressure when they take full control in 08.Very Happy
Freaking out i think not. I'm just regerjitating all the spue i heard from years past. You know, the stuff demo's used to complain about the repugs doing to them, like they used to do to them years before they lost there power. I have a list of old lines i refer too. i just incert in the proper responce and violia. I plan to pitch up a storm for the next two years but it won't be out of anger and fustration, it will be my pleasure. Full control with another lame duck congress amount to ****. I see a repeat of Clintons wonder years. Who knows maybe the hole gang will be back together. Tricky(wondering dick) bill , hillary and sandy berger, back together again, oh joy.
0 Replies

Grahammissionar

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:18 am
@Drnaline,
I do not know the name of the town but another prisoner said we were in an old Soviet camp run by the Zionists from the USA.
Yes I wrote a book called Discovery 911.

I had ordered a Dominos pizza one evening and I saw the pizza man drive up and then I opened the door and was rushed by The Dubya's legion.
I woke up tied in a plane.
I was horse whipped, had a cattle prod on my jewels and was made to walk all over in a parade in this town naked.
I have tried to get secret messeges out and to the US Senate.
I can only assume she got one and read my fine book because one day after lunch I was tired, went to sleep and woke up in my very dusty home after months of being away.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:43 pm
@Drnaline,
Maybe you woke up out of a mindless coma ? And are still mindless ?
Your ravings are very hard to believe .

A quick google found no book by that name , did you ever publish it ? Link , please .
0 Replies