How democrats deal with corruption

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:34 am
They re-elect them.

United Press International - NewsTrack - Rep. William Jefferson wins 9th term

Rep. William Jefferson wins 9th term
NEW ORLEANS, Dec. 9 (UPI) -- Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who gained notoriety after the FBI found $90,000 in his freezer, was elected Saturday to a ninth term in Congress.

Jefferson defeated Democratic state Rep. Karen Carter in a runoff -- even though Carter had secured all the major endorsements and had a better funded campaign, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported.

Jefferson secured a majority of the votes in black neighborhoods in New Orleans and also won in Jefferson Parish, where Sheriff Harry Lee campaigned against him.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,029 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 01:13 pm
@Drnaline,
New Orleans also reelected their mayor. Just goes to show you how bright New Orleans is.....
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 01:17 pm
@Drnaline,
Ah , Louisiana politics - a whole 'nother story !
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 01:30 pm
@Drnaline,
Just a little insite of how they deal with themselves and how they expect others to deal with there's. Double standard? To say the least.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 10:59 am
@Drnaline,
From the Patriot Post.

The Democrats’ culture of corruption
Liberals made a considerable ruckus about the supposedly endemic nature of Republican corruption during the election season, and it served them well. Indeed, voters far and wide cited corruption as one of their prime reasons for voting Republicans out of office in November. Unfortunately, they didn’t realize that they’d be turning over the reins to a party that is rife with career crooks and run by leaders who suffer their own ethical lapses while demonstrating a complete disregard for the criminal histories of those they would appoint to head congressional committees.

San Fran Nan Pelosi tripped twice coming out the gate as Speaker-elect of the House of Representatives. First, she tried to appoint John Murtha as Majority Leader. Murtha’s well-known status as an unindicted co-conspirator in Abscam forced her to rescind the offer to this key ally. For an encore, she tried to foist Alcee Hastings on her colleagues as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. Hastings, before he became a representative, was an unapologetic judge on the take who escaped a bribery conviction but earned the unpleasant distinction of being only the sixth federal judge in American history to be impeached—by a Democrat Congress, no less.

Now it appears that Pelosi is looking for the trifecta. She’s considering West Virginia Rep. Alan Mollohan to head the Appropriations Subcommittee for Science, State, Justice, Commerce and Related Agencies. This subcommittee oversees the Justice Department and the FBI, currently investigating Mollohan for funneling taxpayer money to nonprofit groups he set up which then, as a quid pro quo, donated money to his campaign. Mollohan’s very presence on the committee gives him leverage over the FBI investigation into his dealings—a conflict of interest, if not a potential obstruction of justice.

Then there’s Louisiana’s William “the Freezer” Jefferson, under investigation for bribery, but handily re-elected in November by a district that clearly doesn’t care about his criminality. Pelosi is considering whether to give him a lesser committee position, but she should really just let him twist in the wind, since she clearly doesn’t have the spine to start impeachment proceedings against him.

What was it Ms. Pelosi was saying about presiding over “the most honest, the most open and the most ethical Congress in history”?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:52 am
@Drnaline,
Given the current balance of corruption,the Democrats have some catching up to do.

One bad apple doesn't mean much.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:37 pm
@Drnaline,
One bad apple? Good one. Nothing to see here, move along. And Move along tumble did.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:59 pm
@Drnaline,
It's impossible to police every single member of either house.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:12 pm
@Drnaline,
You do a pretty good job of policing the repugs. Any one mentions any thing else and you walk right on by. Why would you want the demo's to catch up? I thought corruption is corruption. If my story would of been about repugs how would your posts differ? There would be no
"one apple"
What is the ethic cummity's job to do if not police every member? When they catch a repug he is forced to resign, if they catch a democRat he gets re-elected. Will Pelosi(Majority head who promised to clean house) enact impeachment for Jefferson, i don't think there is a chance. Why?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:42 pm
@Drnaline,
You're too busy bashing liberals to discuss what Republicans do.

As for Jefferson, as far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything yet.Maybe that will make a difference how this will be handled.

Jefferson seems guilty to me. I thought he should have resigned when Pelosi asked him to after his records were seized from his office. Maybe they expected Jefferson to lose his bid for re-election.

I can't find any current statements by Pelosi on this matter.
Drnaline

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:43 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;8296 wrote:

As for Jefferson, as far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything yet.Maybe that will make a difference how this will be handled.

Jefferson seems guilty to me. I thought he should have resigned when Pelosi asked him to after his records were seized from his office. Maybe they expected Jefferson to lose his bid for re-election.

Quote:

Define what you consider "bashing?" And we will see?
Quote:
As for Jefferson, as far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything yet
If your waiting for the ethics committee to do something we know what to expect. He's democrat.
Quote:
Maybe that will make a difference how this will be handled.

That's another good one, funnier then the last. It will be the same as they handled Reid. Nothing. Specially if your waiting for Pelosi as well, we know how she feels about nominating impeached/plea bargain abscam types. IMO not the way to "Clean house."
Quote:

90 G's in foil in your freezer whitch also have recorded numbers is pretty open and shut unless some conspiracy theorists twist this one all up, Got any theory's, Rove maybe, LOL.
If Clinton could do it i'm sure Rove could of, being he's the mastermind and all.
As far as re-electing Jefferson, you have to consider these are the people that reelected Nagin and will probably do the same for Blonco. Perfect victum promoters getting the people's sympathy. I'm sure they will do better next time. If they don't get caught, if they have someother big fish to fry like Clintons Fema.
Quote:

Me either, she's mums the word. The less said the better, some one might actually keep the new speaker to her word and most libbys would have none of that. Wecome to your next corupt majority. Hope you can beat the rap before the next election.
0 Replies