Gay Marriage article by Thomas Sowell

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:56 am
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasS...15/gay_marriage

By Thomas Sowell
Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Now that a number of state courts have refused to redefine marriage to include same-sex unions, cries of "discrimination" are being heard.

The "equal protection of the laws" provided by the Constitution of the United States applies to people, not actions. Laws exist precisely in order to discriminate between different kinds of actions.

When the law permits automobiles to drive on highways but forbids bicycles from doing the same, that is not discrimination against people. A cyclist who gets off his bicycle and gets into a car can drive on the highway just like anyone else.

In a free society, vast numbers of things are neither forbidden nor facilitated. They are considered to be none of the law's business.

Homosexuals were on their strongest ground when they said that the law had no business interfering with relations between consenting adults. Now they want the law to put a seal of approval on their behavior. But no one is entitled to anyone else's approval.

Click for the rest,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jatuab

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:16 am
@Drnaline,
The real question is, should we put homosexuals into the field of polygamists and animal lovers? I don't think we have the right to.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:15 am
@Drnaline,
By there own actions they are forcing a redefinition. I just think the definition they get will be know where they thought it would go. Also it they were successful in redefining marriage those vary poly's and puppypounders would probably get a free ride on the marriage wagon.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
@Drnaline,
I must admit to not being completely comfortable with the idea of guy-guy and girl-girl marriage...but I do not see what the threat is. The idea that it is a threat to family is silly and the idea that it is the same as beastiality is even sillier. The slippery slope fallacy that it is the same as polygamy is barely worth comment. There are fundamental pracitical problems with multi-marriages... Mopeds and bikes are forbidden from the highway because they are a danger to themselves and others..that is a silly comparison ..In the end if there is no papable proven danger to either the individual or society you do not have the right to forbid it...
Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:31 pm
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;4712 wrote:
I must admit to not being completely comfortable with the idea of guy-guy and girl-girl marriage...but I do not see what the threat is. The idea that it is a threat to family is silly and the idea that it is the same as beastiality is even sillier. The slippery slope fallacy that it is the same as polygamy is barely worth comment. There are fundamental pracitical problems with multi-marriages... Mopeds and bikes are forbidden from the highway because they are a danger to themselves and others..that is a silly comparison ..In the end if there is no papable proven danger to either the individual or society you do not have the right to forbid it...
Quote:
I must admit to not being completely comfortable with the idea of guy-guy and girl-girl marriage...but I do not see what the threat is.

There is no threat by definitions sake.
Quote:
The idea that it is a threat to family is silly and the idea that it is the same as beastiality is even sillier.

There is no threat to family, they have to go through very special means to participate.
Quote:
The slippery slope fallacy that it is the same as polygamy is barely worth comment.
For every slope there is usually an equal slope going down the other side.
Quote:
Mopeds and bikes are forbidden from the highway because they are a danger to themselves and others..that is a silly comparison ..In the end if there is no papable proven danger to either the individual or society you do not have the right to forbid it...

So how does that change the law? Not one bit. Choose to obey or pay the conciquence when you are caught.
0 Replies