Another Democratic Iraq amendment goes down

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:12 pm
From The Crypt

Quote:
The Senate will adjourn for the weekend after a long week of tense debate over Iraq in which Democrats failed to move the ball and Republicans decided to stick with the White House in backing an unpopular war.

Yet another Democratic amendment on Iraq failed Friday morning, and this one didn't even earn a majority of Senate votes. The vote was 47-47 on an amendment sponsored by Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) that would have required a change of mission in Iraq while mandating firm timetables for withdrawal. The amendment needed 60 votes to pass, and three Democrats voted against the measure, making it clear that no matter how Democrats craft their legislation, a majority of senators are uncomfortable mandating time tables for troop withdrawal. Three Republicans, Sens. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, Olympia Snowe of Maine and Gordon Smith of Oregon, backed the measure.

The rejection of the Levin-Reed proposal means the only amendment passed by the Senate this week was a resounding 72-25 condemnation of the now infamous MoveOn.org ad that portrayed Gen. David Petraeus as "General Betray Us." While Republicans have enjoyed a good ride ripping MoveOn and the anti-war movement for the past two weeks, Democrats have scaled back the expectation that many Republicans would join them and vote on binding measures to end the war.

So the remodeling of Congress is still not working? What happened to Pelosi's predictions?

The only only thing done this week was rebuking MoveOn for their "Betray Us" statements.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 4
No top replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:14 am
@Curmudgeon,
Seems we need change on both sides of the aisle.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:48 am
@Curmudgeon,
I agree with that!
Freeman15

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:57 am
@Curmudgeon,
If our Constitution were still honored, I'd be allowed to write:

"Take up arms, march on Washington, forcibly remove them from office, and hold new elections in which no incumbents are allowed."

Since however, we are a nation of spineless cowards afraid of incendiary speech, I am forced to say:

"That's our Congress! *studio laughter*"
FedUpAmerican

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:17 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;38673 wrote:
If our Constitution were still honored, I'd be allowed to write:

"Take up arms, march on Washington, forcibly remove them from office, and hold new elections in which no incumbents are allowed."

Since however, we are a nation of spineless cowards afraid of incendiary speech, I am forced to say:

"That's our Congress! *studio laughter*"

People in America have become complacent and lazy. I HAVE issued a call for CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE. :headbang:

Stay tuned...
0 Replies