Are we safer now than before 9-11 ?

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:27 am
Recent media reports that intelligence agencies say we are not safer now than before 9-11 are all over the place in the last few days . We would be wise to reserve judgement on this subject . We don't have the complete report to read and discuss , only parts and pieces promoted mainly by opponents of the administration .

Read this article from Mywaynews.com .
"A newspaper report that a U.S. intelligence analysis found that the Iraq war gave rise to a new generation of Islamic radicals and made the overall terrorism problem worse was "not representative of the complete document," the White House said on Sunday.

The New York Times reported that a classified National Intelligence Estimate completed in April said Islamic radicalism had mushroomed worldwide and cited the Iraq war as a reason for the spread of jihadist ideology.

It was the first formal appraisal of global terrorism by U.S. intelligence agencies since the Iraq war began in March 2003 and represents a consensus view of the 16 spy services.

"The New York Times' characterization of the NIE is not representative of the complete document," said White House spokesman Peter Watkins."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,085 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Yes I believe that without a doubt we are safer now than before 9-11.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:30 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Ditto with Brent.

This is what I read today in a column:

Portions of a classified intelligence report about terrorism is leaked to the New York Times and the Washington Post a few days before Democrats begin to hold "hearings" around the country about the war in Iraq. A coordinated political attack? You bet. Will a Special Prosecutor be named to discover the source of the leak? Don't bet on it.

The same people who howled when Robert Novak published the name of a third-rate CIA analyst are cheering about secret information about the war on terror being spread across the front pages of America's newspapers.

Note how the Associated Press doesn't mention that the report was classified until the end of the fourth paragraph.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Quote:
The same people who howled when Robert Novak published the name of a thrid-rate CIA analyst are cheering about secret information about the war on terror being spread across the front pages of America's newspapers.

What's funny is it is mums the word on most websites and blog's unless your conservative of course. I've brought it up on a few sites and not a reply. I think the nay sayers should foot the bill for the Fitzmas gift they gave the country. To bad all they got was a scooter, LOL!!!
GoodBoy

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:07 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;4980 wrote:
What's funny is it is mums the word on most websites and blog's unless your conservative of course. I've brought it up on a few sites and not a reply. I think the nay sayers should foot the bill for the Fitzmas gift they gave the country. To bad all they got was a scooter, LOL!!!

ROFL!
0 Replies

billyc5

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:43 pm
@Curmudgeon,
We are more hated and certainly in more danger than ever before thanks to the lies and blunders of the current regime.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:01 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Got proof?
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:08 pm
@Curmudgeon,
"we know in our hearts thats how they feel and thats enough proof for anyone"Very Happy
BonaParte cv

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:39 pm
@GoodBoy,
Maybe your heart is in the wrong place.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:52 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I hear the word "feel" alot. I also hear it contradicts logic most of the time.
GoodBoy

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 12:44 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;5616 wrote:
I hear the word "feel" alot. I also hear it contradicts logic most of the time.

I hear a lot of that "I feel" stuff from liberals over on another website.. they get shut down pretty quick.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:29 am
@GoodBoy,
We are not safer now than before we were on 9-11. The threats to our national security is greater now than ever before.

I don't "feel" we have done enough to secure our borders to reassure very many people.

The U.S. is trying to police the world which is creating even more threats to our security.

Until we become more energy independent I "feel" matters are only going to get worse.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:04 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;5632 wrote:
We are not safer now than before we were on 9-11. The threats to our national security is greater now than ever before.

I don't "feel" we have done enough to secure our borders to reassure very many people.

The U.S. is trying to police the world which is creating even more threats to our security.

Until we become more energy independent I "feel" matters are only going to get worse.

Quote:

All i got to say is. Prove your point. Opinion's are not enough.
Quote:

Minutemen are always looking for volunteer's?
Quote:

Looks like just an opinion, being you don't like substanciating your statements i'll leave it at that.
Quote:

One statement i agree with you on.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:22 pm
@Drnaline,
What is you want me to prove?:wtf:

Maybe it's the fact that we are being threatened by 2 countries who have nuclear weapons and we seem powerless to stop their weapons program.

Maybe it's the fact that our borders aren't as secure as they should be and nobody is willing to do enough to halt illegal entry into our country.

In some ways it is safer but I'm not convinced we are doing enough, but hey, that's just my opinion.Very Happy
Brent cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:38 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;5645 wrote:
What is you want me to prove?:wtf:

Well let's see... for starters... why we aren't safer.

Quote:

Maybe it's the fact that we are being threatened by 2 countries who have nuclear weapons and we seem powerless to stop their weapons program.

Who else other than North Korea has nuclear weapons and is threatening us?

North Korea is a threat to our allies, not directly to us.

Quote:

Maybe it's the fact that our borders aren't as secure as they should be and nobody is willing to do enough to halt illegal entry into our country.

They were never secure. That does not make us less safer than before 9/11.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:20 pm
@Brent cv,
What do you mean for starters? I just mentioned 2 of them.Very Happy

You mean that long range missle that N. Korea tested wasn't one that could hit the U.S ? Hmmm.

If Iran isn't a threat, what's the big deal with trying to stop their program.:wtf:

Threats to our National Security is what we are talking about isn't it. I see Iran as a threat. They have the means to interupt the flow of oil out of the Persian Gulf.

Any threat to our allies is an indirect threat to the U.S.

The threat from Iran and N.Korea has escalated since
9-11. What is there to feel safer about?

If you don't consider either of these threats being worse than what they were before 9-11, I'm not going to try to convince you, as it would be a waste of time.

Just because we havn't been attacked since 9-11 doesn't mean we are safer.
Brent cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:32 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;5651 wrote:

You mean that long range missle that N. Korea tested wasn't one that could hit the U.S ? Hmmm.

That long range missile didn't make it 1/4th the way to the US before messing up.

Quote:

If Iran isn't a threat, what's the big deal with trying to stop their program.:wtf:

You stated above 2 countries with nuclear weapons. Iran is a growing threat due to their want of Nuclear Weapons. We are trying to stop them because of the potential threat.

Quote:

If you don't consider either of these threats being worse than what they were before 9-11, I'm not going to try to convince you, as it would be a waste of time.

You are acting like there should never be growing threats in this world from here on out. There will always be threats. It's keeping those threats from harming the US that is the goal. We are currently working to accomplish this. However, when you have people like China in your way it becomes difficult. China has the most power to change the North Korea way of thinking.

Quote:

Just because we havn't been attacked since 9-11 doesn't mean we are safer.

Seems so to me. How many terrorist attacks have been stopped since 9/11 due to decreased red tape due to the Patriot Act and increased awareness?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 03:15 pm
@Brent cv,
If you feel safer, good for you.Very Happy
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:54 pm
@Curmudgeon,
How much sleep do you lose over this?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:08 pm
@Drnaline,
Since I live in a low risk area, none.

If I lived in or near a high risk area terrorist might target, such as New York City, I think I'd be nervous.
0 Replies