Searching for the truth

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:10 pm
In a way of self-promotion , I offer this post from my blog for your consideration . Comments welcome , of course .
Randomview
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Searching for the Truth

" I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts. "
Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

I quote Lincoln here because the American people need the truth now , more than ever . Yesterday's 9-11 memorials , the ABC docudrama , and President Bush's speech last night caused me and many to ask ; Are we getting the truth ?

If you read my ramblings here you see that I think we are , but the reality is that many Americans are not . Just this morning I heard that the campus newspaper at The University of Houston ( where my son just enrolled as a junior ) offered as counterpoint to the ABC movie , a free viewing of Fahrenheit 911 . The reasoning was that students need to see a balance of viewpoints . I will agree that this is true
, but I wonder how many students are encouraged by Academia to accept F-911 as the truth , rather than an opportunity to weigh the "facts" presented by both sides in the matter . Many of the students get their news only from the campus paper , and might be misled .

Debate and discussion is essential to Democracy ; they are cornerstones of freedom ! Curious people must be willing to think , to venture , and to express themselves as they discuss issues with classmates and family . Clear thinking is required so that as discussion continues , understanding increases . Clear thinking about what is to be said results in better understanding in the mind of the speaker and the listener . Reactions from the people addressed are a way of testing one's own ideas . Many a position has changed after due consideration and clear thought preceding discussion and debate . Spouting a hard line talking point from either side without reseach and consideration is fatally flawed . Both sides must be understood in the beginning , that is why debate classes require debaters to argue both sides of a question . It may not be done this way now , but years ago debaters had to prepare to debate from yay or nay , and did not know until the beginning which argument they would have to take in the debate .

I think Bush was spot on with his speech last night and covered all the bases as he wove the present into the past while memorializing 9-11 .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 898 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:12 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Well said! Most people think this stuff started today, when it's been going on in our history for over two hundred years. In the world for hundreds of years. Some may think the debate is new but by no means. Look at the history of our world, we've been at it for longer then most here wish to think about. You can call it politics, be it nation or world wide. The fact of the matter is for the most part we dictate alot of what goes on. WE were looked to in the past for our rebunkness and never willing to admit defeat. We still haven't changed. But the rest of the world sure has. Most feel they don't need us anymore, but that's OK. We weren't asking. I don't need Bush as a symbol for what i believe but he's the best thing i've got going, why because he's got every body else doing the same.
I am proud to be able to air my opinion is a world wide forum, for every one to see. I admit i am not right all the time, but then again i wasn't ment to be. That's the spitit of this country if you decide to take part. I choose to do so, come hell or high water.
0 Replies