US and UK in Iraq

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:03 am
I recently saw a report on TV here in the UK where a british reporter walked down an Iraqi street and asked random people what they thought of the British and the American soldiers and with no offence intended to America, they all said that they prefered the British soldiers to the Americans.
Now, of course that probably isnt the view of every Iraqi, but I wonder why these selected few all said the same thing. I wonder if its because America is leading the war and so, there is more hate directed at them, or maybe the British soldiers have more experience with people from the IRA in Ireland.
Whats you opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
@Jimbob1989,
Jimbob1989 wrote:
I recently saw a report on TV here in the UK where a british reporter walked down an Iraqi street and asked random people what they thought of the British and the American soldiers and with no offence intended to America, they all said that they prefered the British soldiers to the Americans.
Now, of course that probably isnt the view of every Iraqi, but I wonder why these selected few all said the same thing. I wonder if its because America is leading the war and so, there is more hate directed at them, or maybe the British soldiers have more experience with people from the IRA in Ireland.
Whats you opinion?

Do you have a link to a similar article?

What town was it in?

Depending on the town they are walking in that would make the difference.

Honestly I can't tell you why they would say that since I am not over there and I do not see what is going on first hand.

There are a lot of things that could come into play. That area where the reporter walked down could have been an area where US troops were stretched then or have been there for an extended time and that could be a problem with attitude and possibly not being as, dare I say, pleasant to the Iraqi citizens.

And you could be right about them being hated as well. Just depends on the area.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:13 pm
@Jimbob1989,
I don't put much stock at all in British news. It's much more of an entertainment value for them than it is educational and informative as it is in America.

Did I just call the news educational and informative??? :uhh:
Drnaline

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:09 am
@Jimbob1989,
Jimbob1989 wrote:
Whats you opinion?
I would venture to say if an American reporter were to ask the same there would be a different outcome. A population that has been oppressed for so long is apt to tell you what you want to hear. IMO
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:14 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I don't put much stock at all in British news. It's much more of an entertainment value for them than it is educational and informative as it is in America.

Did I just call the news educational and informative??? :uhh:
"Did I just call the news educational and informative??? "

Yup, ain''t that an oxymoron, LOL
0 Replies