The Starbucks Incident

jatuab

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 08:33 pm
So I was visiting a friend of mine who works in Starbucks, when an old man came in and started looking around. Joe asks the man if he can get him a drink, when the old man inquires upon the presence of the Dixie Chicks' new album. Joe points straight at it and directs the man to the cd. "No thanks," he says, "I just won't be doing business with Starbucks anymore."

Now I used to believe that businesses which denounced conservative values or supported the individuals who do so were worthy of a boycot. Today it really struck me as a dumb idea. I support standing up for what you believe in, but they do have an opinion, don't they? No one said Starbucks hated Bush or Republicans, and it sort of struck me as useless.

If we all make a stand, mighty walls can fall, but have these boycots ever really done much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:12 pm
@jatuab,
One person boycotting Starbucks won't hurt them at all.

Noble idea, but it won't be worth much.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:28 pm
@jatuab,
Starbucks shouldn't be boycotted because of the Dixie Chicks , rather for their ability to convince people that their $4 coffee is any better than any other , in my opinion , of course . People are willing to pay for the ambiance , and to be seen as cool . Waste of money to me .
OK Rant off , now .

By the way , I don't like bars that inflate the price of drinks and beer , either , and don't get me started on sports stadium prices !
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:51 pm
@jatuab,
Their music is all the reason you need to boycott them, plus the lead singer is ugly Smile
0 Replies

SVTRob

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 10:51 am
@jatuab,
Of all the reasons to boycott starbucks... heh
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
@jatuab,
What are the reasons to boycott Starbucks?
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:18 am
@jatuab,
I will not boycott Starbucks , I just don't go there at all .
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:31 pm
@jatuab,
I have a hard time paying four bucks for bean juice but my old lady loves those tasochi's?
jatuab

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:53 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;4156 wrote:
I have a hard time paying four bucks for bean juice but my old lady loves those tasochi's?
haha...Tazo Tea or Tazo Chai
They're delicious, and they don't really cost $4 unless you get the largest one. Of course, I get free drinks every once in a while, so I guess I don't care as much. Their stuff is delicious, and I wouldn't quit going because of a dumb boycott.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:11 am
@jatuab,
Yup she gets the big one, she loves those things. No matter how you spell it, it's very expensive bean juice.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:02 pm
@jatuab,
i'm against picketing. but i don't know how to show it.
jatuab

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:50 pm
@jatuab,
haha...maybe with dirty bombs?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:15 pm
@jatuab,
Dirty bomb would work but i think may be illegal in some places. I prefer taping a small dead fish with breathable medical tape to the underside of a few select tables. They never look under those unless there cleaning stuck gum.
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:33 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs;4167 wrote:
i'm against picketing. but i don't know how to show it.

DAMNIT! I was going to say that!
0 Replies

STEVE cv

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 03:14 pm
@jatuab,
i will buy double the coffe at starbucks now.
0 Replies