jatuab

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:32 pm
Zacarias Moussaoui, non-guilty plea and all, was found guilty for his involvement in the planning and some of the execution of the September 11 attacks. He was just senteced to life in prison, and upon leaving the courthouse exclaimed, "America, you lost."

Should he have received the death penalty? Reasoned arguments only, please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:14 am
@jatuab,
I sorta think he was a self-deluded hanger-on of the group that did the deed . He does deserve a life sentence for his role . I don't think a death sentence would have been warranted .
BUT - I wouldn't wish ill toward anyone , but IMHO he will not live long in jail . Someone will off him somehow .
jatuab

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:18 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
I sorta think he was a self-deluded hanger-on of the group that did the deed . He does deserve a life sentence for his role . I don't think a death sentence would have been warranted .
BUT - I wouldn't wish ill toward anyone , but IMHO he will not live long in jail . Someone will off him somehow .

Good point...I think solitary's going to be his only option unless the warden wants him gone soon.
0 Replies

ohiosweetheart

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:19 pm
@jatuab,
I agree... he's not going to last long
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:48 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:

Where he is going they don't even allow eye contact with other prisoners. One hour a day rec, but they must wear chains. Praise be allah, LOL. I also think a death sentence was not warranted. There were to many if's when he couldn't even keep his story straight.
As far as "America, you lost." From what i hear it was the same speech he prepared for the coming death penalty he thought he might get. And in the same speech he mentioned he still thought Bush would free him? Go figure?
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:10 pm
@jatuab,
Killing him is too easy. I am beginning to oppose the death sentence. It's not painful and too easy of a way to get out of a life with nothing to look forward to but death.
ohiosweetheart

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:59 pm
@jatuab,
My grandfather was of the opinion that one should be executed in the same manner in which they murdered.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 03:55 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Killing him is too easy. I am beginning to oppose the death sentence. It's not painful and too easy of a way to get out of a life with nothing to look forward to but death.

I'm willing to buy that fool quite a few meals to keep i'm sloped. And in the end still meet his maker. Although IMO it won't be allah he meets?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 03:59 pm
@ohiosweetheart,
ohiosweetheart wrote:
My grandfather was of the opinion that one should be executed in the same manner in which they murdered.

I'm of the same opinion, but from what i know of the trial the story could not go straight very long. I even had doughts how true the story was. Can't kill a guys for that even though alot think he should get it. To me there was a reasonable dought. But enough to keep him locked away witht the rest of the bombers with little light. Seem they like the dark over there.
0 Replies

Darkseid

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:26 pm
@jatuab,
jatuab wrote:
Zacarias Moussaoui, non-guilty plea and all, was found guilty for his involvement in the planning and some of the execution of the September 11 attacks. He was just senteced to life in prison, and upon leaving the courthouse exclaimed, "America, you lost."

Should he have received the death penalty? Reasoned arguments only, please.

Neither the life in prison or death penalty are acceptable. They are just sentences to please society, but not to actually take care of the problem.

The true problem is that such individuals have fallen away from reality or from dealing with reality in a civilized manner.

We should be trying to get these guys treatment, in either a psychological manner or a physical manner with medication.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:57 am
@jatuab,
Treatment, yeah lets rehabilitate them so next time maybe they'll get a couple million victims. I think we can rehabilitate OBL as well? Maybe they should be releaved of there cosmic energy?
0 Replies

Lasombra

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:47 pm
@ohiosweetheart,
ohiosweetheart wrote:

That would be hard to do in this case, as he didn't plead guilty to killing anyone.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 09:29 pm
@Darkseid,
Darkseid wrote:
Neither the life in prison or death penalty are acceptable. They are just sentences to please society, but not to actually take care of the problem.

The true problem is that such individuals have fallen away from reality or from dealing with reality in a civilized manner.

We should be trying to get these guys treatment, in either a psychological manner or a physical manner with medication.

Rehabilitation works about as well as just putting them back into society with no punishment.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 10:57 pm
@Darkseid,
Darkseid wrote:

Rehab has proven grossly inneffective in a very large pecentage of attempts , and no new ways to rehabilitate criminals have been invented .
That having been said , I don't think the criminals are afraid of the current incarceration methods either . A long sentence or even a death sentence doesn't seem to be a deterrant .
I don't have any suggestions about what to do , either .
jatuab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 11:01 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
Rehab has proven grossly inneffective in a very large pecentage of attempts , and no new ways to rehabilitate criminals have been invented .
That having been said , I don't think the criminals are afraid of the current incarceration methods either . A long sentence or even a death sentence doesn't seem to be a deterrant .
I don't have any suggestions about what to do , either .

I believe that one of the solutions is bringing back the chain gangs. Unconstitutional or what have you, they make prisoners earn their stay. Place guards with shotguns on patrol of these chain gangs, and make sure they work the entire time. I don't believe anything really deters a criminal from committing such acts as murder or assault when they occur in the heat of the moment, so the death penalty isn't really a valid argument, nor is life in prison (both are expensive and time-consuming).
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 11:12 pm
@jatuab,
I agree - chain gangs , work camps , etc. would be much more effective than the prison mills we have now . Too many spend their time doing nothing , producing nothing , and learning nothing but more ways to steal , or maim , or kill , from fellow inmates . Some live much better in jail than they ever do outside . Some have been known to break the law just to get back inside .
jatuab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 11:22 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
I agree - chain gangs , work camps , etc. would be much more effective than the prison mills we have now . Too many spend their time doing nothing , producing nothing , and learning nothing but more ways to steal , or maim , or kill , from fellow inmates . Some live much better in jail than they ever do outside . Some have been known to break the law just to get back inside .

I have a relative that's a career criminal...it's disgusting.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:21 am
@jatuab,
I think every family has one. I like the Sheriff of Maricopa,AZ. He likes housing illegals for eternity if need be. His version of AC is allowing you to strip down to your skivies.
0 Replies