Is Homosexuality a Choice?

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:28 am
@oaktonarcher,
The solution is that the hetero religious majority can have marriage

others can have a civil union or a life bond

and they are equally recognized under law

the separation of the two terms comes from respecting the current institution rather then referring to one as less then the other
sectionOne

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:34 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14460 wrote:

the separation of the two terms comes from respecting the current institution rather then referring to one as less then the other

only in the US right?
Silverchild79

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:37 am
@oaktonarcher,
I'm sorry I don't understad, only what in the US?
NOOTRAC22

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:38 am
@Silverchild79,

well said. I don't understand how in a country that prides itself on freedom and equality how I can be more equal than someone else based on their sexual prefrence.
0 Replies

sectionOne

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:35 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14470 wrote:
I'm sorry I don't understad, only what in the US?

your solution.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:40 pm
@oaktonarcher,
one of my best friends and house mates in college was gay. He didn't come out until Junior year, so we had no idea...

it was weird at first, but after a while, it was just the norm.

he dated plenty of girls.... tried to convince himself that he was straight... but deep down, he just wasn't happy and not attracted to them at all.

finally, he just admitted that he was gay. it wasn't a choice. it is what he felt most comfortable with. to me, that's something you're born with.
Silverchild79

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:45 pm
@sectionOne,
sectionOne;14469 wrote:
only in the US right?

well the dilemma is most sharply being debated in the US currently. I feel the solution is the best compromise for the majority and minority groups. It allows Homosexuals what they have a right too and doesn't disrespect religious institutions...
chuckc cv

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:49 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;14456 wrote:
Arn't we catagorically labeled hetero's? I for one believe i am typical of the group. Most hetero's i talk to do not agree with homosexual lifestyle, this is not to say they cannot live with there behavior. Just simply disagree. I assist my wifes softball team, of which there are seven women who are lesbians. I play ball, travel, camp and party with these people all summer long. I can do this even though i don't agree with them because they are still delightful people. Labeling is required as that is how we define there behavior. The same process i use for you do define for me who i think you are. It's ok, i expect you to do the same for me. Do you not think is strainge that exactly what you mention of labeling is what you do to those you think do the labeling? IMO this it the only way to make assumptions. Assuming is a natural part of life.

I categoricaly disagree. I do not define myself by any specific label. You can attach those to me because I understand it is how we can understand the world we live in. However, to define prohetereo as anti-gay, may be a good definition for you, but not me. And as a heterosexual, and you using that definition, I must disagree. To me, all heterosexual means is that I am sexually attracted to women. That's all. To develop an opinion based that fact, I believe is wrong and presumptous. Assuming opinion without asking more questions, IMO, in narrow minded.

Please, I am not calling YOU any of things. IMO your definition of heterosexual is too general and although IYO it may satisfy your interpretation it does not mine. Nor will I every consider myself (anti-gay).

I think i can look past semantics and understand your point. You define a heterosexual as someone who is not gay. But to say they are anti-gay is wrong.

Further, I can Assume (because I truly do not know you) you are not prejudice toward some of the homosexuals you encounter. I would not call you a bigot toward homosexuality.

No I am not married. And if I was it would be by choice. Because I want to enter into a legal agreement with my sexual partner (a woman who is such since birth)
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:53 pm
@Silverchild79,

Great. And as a heterosexual American, I agree. I believe we are talking about respecting each other's wishes as American citizens. I think to fully understand this issue, we may need to ask a homosexual. (I do not care who is/not, truly. Nor would I want to "out" someone accidently who feels they must keep their sexual preference secret)
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:57 pm
@briansol,
briansol;14484 wrote:
one of my best friends and house mates in college was gay. He didn't come out until Junior year, so we had no idea...

it was weird at first, but after a while, it was just the norm.

he dated plenty of girls.... tried to convince himself that he was straight... but deep down, he just wasn't happy and not attracted to them at all.

finally, he just admitted that he was gay. it wasn't a choice. it is what he felt most comfortable with. to me, that's something you're born with.

I agree with this view completely.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:58 pm
@Silverchild79,

I agree. Wow. That's a bit of a shocker Very Happy .
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 01:11 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Once again, I feel my lack of computer knowledge is limited, or maybe I am too lazy to use the proper quotes for clarity Smile I hope this reads well.

DRNALINE wrote:
Where have i said i am against gays? What i said, IMO Pro-gay means anti- hetero.

MO
You did not write it anywhere nor do I assume that is your opinion.

MY PREVIOUS POST:
And exactly what is the process you use to make you decisions. Yes, whatever that is, I agree, that is a choice.

DRNALINE wrote
The process i use is pro-con.

MO
Great process. Seems as though you see the world in black and white (just an observation). That is not my world view.

DRNALINE wrote:
In your senario i don't think you gave a choice, you said the majority was homosexual so i think it's assumed. In any case i find it funny they feel the need to do what they do whether minority or majority, very odd behavior.

MO:
To clarify further, according to my imagined scenario, the society is a "free" society as is in America. I say choice because I do not wholeheartedly agree with America's majority but I still choose to live here. I was trying to establish opinion based on a hypothetical homosexual "america", opinion derived from a majority culture vs. minority culture world view. I can understand where you view supports your opinion of "odd" behavior, I do not agree.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 01:13 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Quote:
MO
Great process. Seems as though you see the world in black and white (just an observation). That is not my world view.

But shades of gray don't matter, they're neutral, so they have no effect on a pro-con list, why should he include them?
0 Replies

sectionOne

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 01:59 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14485 wrote:
well the dilemma is most sharply being debated in the US currently. I feel the solution is the best compromise for the majority and minority groups. It allows Homosexuals what they have a right too and doesn't disrespect religious institutions...

then what is your feelings about homosexuality being illegal in islam but pedestry is not?
mollah
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:07 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Pedophilia isn't illegal in Islam because it would be self incriminating for Muhammed, a pedophile.

Also, I think it's strange it's illegal in Islam, as paradise also has an abundance of young men with the virgins (if I'm not mistaken), presumably for those of the opposite persuasion.
chuckc cv

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:22 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14508 wrote:
Pedophilia isn't illegal in Islam because it would be self incriminating for Muhammed, a pedophile.

Also, I think it's strange it's illegal in Islam, as paradise also has an abundance of young men with the virgins (if I'm not mistaken), presumably for those of the opposite persuasion.

Are you calling Muhammed, a prophet, a pedophile? Do you know that to be true?

And can you categorically deny their belief in the afterlife?
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:24 pm
@sectionOne,
sectionOne;14504 wrote:
then what is your feelings about homosexuality being illegal in islam but pedestry is not?
mollah

Illegal? Do you claim to be a member of Islam or is your view that of a Christian? (you dont really have to answer) I'm trying to understand your world view.
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:26 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Yes. One of his wives, Aisha, was between ages 6 and 7 at the time of the marriage and nine when the marriage was consumated.
0 Replies

sectionOne

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:03 am
@chuckc cv,
chuckc;14514 wrote:
Illegal? Do you claim to be a member of Islam or is your view that of a Christian? (you dont really have to answer) I'm trying to understand your world view.

I've practiced and studied Islam for over 30 years. also Christianity.
my worldview is that the Quran and Islam is violent. Sharia Law, which rules over 25 Islamic countries is causing atrocities around the world that most Christians and Americans are unaware of.

Homosexuality is against Sharia Law and the penalty in most cases is death. however, yes, pedophillia is practiced. many girls are raped, that's the reason behind female genital mutilation, where the cooter is sewn up in young girls and it makes them unable to have or enjoy sex. the whole culture is sick. there is also honor killing. if a girl is raped the father or brother or uncle will kill her, this is common practice and happens daily in Islam.

so talking about homosexuality in the US and our feelings and such is kinda childsplay compared to the rest of the world. enjoy the freedom we have here and the love we have for each other. it maybe threatened as Islam encroches.
0 Replies