Is Homosexuality a Choice?

rhopper3

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 12:49 pm
@oaktonarcher,
I don't think it matters, what adults do to each other in privacy is nobody's business...further study, study that is devoid of moral judgement and inductive conclusions before it gets underway will eventually discover the scientific answer to that question.....but in the mean time people are responsibile to society for the results of their individual actions not for their lifestyle or proclivities....Nobody asks whether being a musician is a choice even though to an extent artistic talent and the extroverted nature it requires can be either inherited or environmental they just want to know if you can pay your bills and take care of you kids
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 06:46 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Homosexuality isn't a choice. It's a product of one's nature. It's found in the animal kingdom.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 06:54 pm
@oaktonarcher,
I thinks that's true, but irrelevant to the marriage debate. You can be homosexual, but marriage (as we know it) is a Christian institution. Homosexuality in most of Christianity is a sin. Therefore, get a civil union or something, but don't defile our institution.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:02 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Just responding to the original question. Agreed. No gay marriage, please.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:13 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14334 wrote:
I thinks that's true, but irrelevant to the marriage debate. You can be homosexual, but marriage (as we know it) is a Christian institution. Homosexuality in most of Christianity is a sin. Therefore, get a civil union or something, but don't defile our institution.

Defiling "our institution" of marriage. (5. To violate the chastity of.) No help needed. IMO, marriage is currently defiled by people who do not hold the instituion sacred.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:14 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Sure. Civil unions for all. (dripping sarcasm)
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:15 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Well, let's narrow it down to Catholicism where it's unacceptable to get a divorce without annulment, there you go. That's all I care about.
IM-A-DEMOCRAT-BABY

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:27 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Homosexuality, for the most part, is not a choice, but something your born into. Sometimes, however, you can choose it. For example if you have had a very bad past with the opposite sex, then you may turn gay/lesbian. However I think that it is something your born into.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:33 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14358 wrote:
Well, let's narrow it down to Catholicism where it's unacceptable to get a divorce without annulment, there you go. That's all I care about.

good point!
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:55 pm
@oaktonarcher,
we're getting off topic, gay marriage is something else all together.

I think marriage or for Heterosexuals, it's a religious institution that doesn't accept gays in an abstract way like the Boy Scouts. thats not to say that Homosexuals shouldn't have a "civil union", legally accepted equal to marriage. But to call it marriage is disrespectful to the tradition IMO.
chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:34 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14379 wrote:
we're getting off topic, gay marriage is something else all together.

I think marriage or for Heterosexuals, it's a religious institution that doesn't accept gays in an abstract way like the Boy Scouts. thats not to say that Homosexuals shouldn't have a "civil union", legally accepted equal to marriage. But to call it marriage is disrespectful to the tradition IMO.

I agree. Call it what you want. As long as legal equality covers everyone (those who wish to form a union with another). I can see where the word "marriage" may be at the crux of the disagreement.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:38 pm
@chuckc cv,
chuckc;14385 wrote:
I agree. Call it what you want. As long as legal equality covers everyone (those who wish to form a union with another). I can see where the word "marriage" may be at the crux of the disagreement.

another part of it is the misconception that all homosexuals are swingers and will therefor ruin marriage. I've seen allot of the world and I can say that the only basis that can be found here is in homosexual men. I've seen straight swingers and I've seen devoted lesbian partner who are productive Americans and aren't out "recruiting" (I'm still laughing about that).
chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:52 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14387 wrote:
another part of it is the misconception that all homosexuals are swingers and will therefor ruin marriage. I've seen allot of the world and I can say that the only basis that can be found here is in homosexual men. I've seen straight swingers and I've seen devoted lesbian partner who are productive Americans and aren't out "recruiting" (I'm still laughing about that).

Certainly. I could maybe expand it. People lack empathy. Unfortunately, some feel the strong need to categorize and label people based on the actions of individual members of their same group. Maybe it's the easist way to make assumptions.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:06 am
@oaktonarcher,
Quote:
If by identify you mean: To establish the identity of.

If by identity you mean: set of behavioral or personal characteristics by which an individual is recognizable as a member of a group.

Then if I were to identify myself by my sexual preference, which I do not. My sexual partner preference is women who were born that way. I believe I would be associated with the heterosexual group of people.

However, if there is a heterosexual group who's primary tenent is to establish groups of people in categories of gay and anti-gay. I would not be associated with that group.

Are you married and is it to a woman? If so did you do it of your own free will?
Quote:
I do not define "pro-hetero as anti-gay". As a heterosexual, I do not consider people in terms of their sexual preference. Nor I do I agree with the "idea" that because one defines themseleves as heterosexual, you are therefore automatically against others whose sexual preference you do not attribute with yourself.

Where have i said i am against gays? What i said, IMO Pro-gay means anti- hetero.
Quote:
And exactly what is the process you use to make you decisions. Yes, whatever that is, I agree, that is a choice.

The process i use is pro-con.
Quote:
I chose to live in a homosexually dominated culture

In your senario i don't think you gave a choice, you said the majority was homosexual so i think it's assumed. In any case i find it funny they feel the need to do what they do whether minority or majority, very odd behavior.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:17 am
@chico,
chico;14175 wrote:
In Roman Chap 1 verses 21 says "for although they new God they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man or birds or animals or reptiles. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exhanged natural relations for unnatural and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and no improper conduct. They were filled with all manner of wickedness, evil, covetousness, malice. full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malignity, they are gossips,slanderers, haters of God, insolent, gaughry, boasful, inventors of evil....."

I believe its not a choice but because of the above....

Quote:
but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man or birds or animals or reptiles.

Sounds to me like they chose the path they walked down.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:30 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14387 wrote:
Quote:
another part of it is the misconception that all homosexuals are swingers

I don't think it's a misconception.
Homosexual Problems and Same Sex Marriage
0 Replies

NOOTRAC22

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:43 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14334 wrote:

if marrage is a christian thing, and the constitution guarentees sep of church and state how can the gov ban gay gay marrage? besides with the divorce rate now days gays couldn't do much worse than hetero marriages. Also as I undestand equality is just that not equality for heteros and not gays. As far as is it a choice or not it's mostly not a choice. No diffrent then why do some guys like girls with big boob and some guys like girls with itty bittys.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:52 am
@chuckc cv,
chuckc;14389 wrote:
Certainly. I could maybe expand it. People lack empathy. Unfortunately, some feel the strong need to categorize and label people based on the actions of individual members of their same group. Maybe it's the easist way to make assumptions.
Arn't we catagorically labeled hetero's? I for one believe i am typical of the group. Most hetero's i talk to do not agree with homosexual lifestyle, this is not to say they cannot live with there behavior. Just simply disagree. I assist my wifes softball team, of which there are seven women who are lesbians. I play ball, travel, camp and party with these people all summer long. I can do this even though i don't agree with them because they are still delightful people. Labeling is required as that is how we define there behavior. The same process i use for you do define for me who i think you are. It's ok, i expect you to do the same for me. Do you not think is strainge that exactly what you mention of labeling is what you do to those you think do the labeling? IMO this it the only way to make assumptions. Assuming is a natural part of life.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:55 am
@NOOTRAC22,
NOOTRAC22;14454 wrote:
if marrage is a christian thing, and the constitution guarentees sep of church and state how can the gov ban gay gay marrage? besides with the divorce rate now days gays couldn't do much worse than hetero marriages. Also as I undestand equality is just that not equality for heteros and not gays. As far as is it a choice or not it's mostly not a choice. No diffrent then why do some guys like girls with big boob and some guys like girls with itty bittys.
Nope, Marriage is a religious thing not just Christian. The Constitution does no such thing as garrantee any kind of separation. If you can show me where in it is says that you are a better man then I.
Quote:
No diffrent then why do some guys like girls with big boob and some guys like girls with itty bittys.

No different? What they are expressing is personal choice or preference. Do you not think that is making a choice?
NOOTRAC22

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:10 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;14457 wrote:
Nope, Marriage is a religious thing not just Christian. The Constitution does no such thing as garrantee any kind of separation. If you can show me where in it is says that you are a better man then I.

No different? What they are expressing is personal choice or preference. Do you not think that is making a choice?

Separation of church and state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to the Danbury Baptists, in which he referred to the First Amendment of the United States Constitution as creating a "wall of separation" between church and state. The phrase was then quoted and endorsed by the United States Supreme Court first in 1878

Quote:
James Madison, the principal drafter of the United States Bill of Rights, who often wrote of "total separation of the church from the state" (1819 letter to Robert Walsh). "Strongly guarded . . . is the separation between religion and government in the Constitution of the United States," Madison wrote, and he declared, "practical distinction between Religion and Civil Government is essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States"
0 Replies