A war with no winners

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:10 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110202123.html

Washington Post wrote:
One could almost forgive President Bush for waging war under false or mistaken pretenses had a better, more democratic Middle East come out of it. But just as the 1991 Persian Gulf War introduced an element of instability in the region -- the rise of al Qaeda in response to the stationing of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia -- so might this one do something similar. A Shiite arc is forming, Iraq is infested with terrorists and coming apart, Syria might be going from bad to worse, and Saudi Arabia is complaining loudly that the war's only winners are the Shiites and Iran. From here, it looks like a war that is already going badly for America could go even worse for much of the Middle East.

Mission accomplished?

This is a pretty good summary of how I feel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,140 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:23 pm
@oaktonarcher,
A viewpoint skewed by a bias against the US will always look bad . News people need to point out the good things happening in Iraq . Freedom to vote , freedom to do business , infrastructure being rebuilt , etc .
I agree that the picture is not rosy , but someone once said "war is hell !"
If a Shiite arc is forming , does that necessarily denote a bad thing? The Sunnis will think so , but I see it as a reaction to the domination by the Sunnis for a long time under a regime that was anything but good for Iraq .
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:56 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Gloom and Doom is your only forecast? If reading the post make you feel that bad you probably shouldn't read it. I read the whole thing it didn't seem that bad, the whole region as made great strides. To get scrambled eggs you gotta crack a few shells. The article all boils down on how the Sunnis's feel, now they know how they made others feel for so long. Don't like the shoe on the other foot, time to buy a new pair. This time is will be the majority that rules the minority. It will take time for them to aclimate.
0 Replies