What should be the drinking age in the United States?

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:04 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,481 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:19 pm
@oaktonarcher,
As much as I want to say lower it... it would not be a good thing to lower it now like you said....
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:23 am
@oaktonarcher,
Legal drinking age has changed several times ( at least it has in Texas ) since I was 18 ( it was 21 then ) , I would like to see studies showing if the change in drinking age had any discernible effect on society or 18-21 year olds at all .
0 Replies

Ken cv

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:36 am
@oaktonarcher,
It could also depend on some specific subset of qualifications.

Specifically : If you are in the military --- You can have a beer

If you are in the Coast Guard --- You can have a beer

If you are a college student --- You CANNOT have a beer

If you are a college student in the Army ---- *damn... doesn't work*
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:06 pm
@oaktonarcher,
Well the drinking age for a long time was 21 as well as the voting age. When the voting age was dropped because of the Vietnam war (if you can die for you country you should be able to vote idea) so was the drinking age. But as of this time, it was totally state to state.

Until in 1984 when the Federal government stepped in. in 1984 the United States passed the minimum drinking age act, which required all states to raise their drinking ages to 21 or their government highway funding would be cut.

but as Ken brought up, there are a lot of exceptions... here are a few of them

An established religious purpose, when accompanied by a parent, spouse or legal guardian age 21 or older

Medical purposes when prescribed or administered by a licensed physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, hospital or medical institution

In private clubs or establishments

In the course of lawful employment by a duly licensed manufacturer, wholesaler or retailer.” 1

Many of the states that have chosen to specifically prohibit alcohol consumption by those under age 21 have a variety of exceptions. For example,

Some States allow an exception for consumption when a family member consents and/or is present. States vary widely in terms of which relatives may consent or must be present for this exception to apply and in what circumstances the exception applies. Sometimes a reference is made simply to "family" or "family member" without further elaboration.

Some States allow an exception for consumption on private property. States vary in the extent of the private property exception which may extend to all private locations, private residences only, or in the home of a parent or guardian only. In some jurisdictions, the location exception is conditional on the presence and/or consent of the parent, legal guardian, or legal-age spouse.

Some States also allow exceptions for educational purposes (e.g., students in culinary schools), religious purposes (e.g., sacramental use of alcoholic beverages), or medical purposes. 2

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html for more info
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 03:54 pm
@oaktonarcher,
What you said about other cultures where young drinkers is no big thing, well, they were raised that way. We are raised for the most part that we shouldn't drink till 21. If they lower it, I can see a lot of 18-20 year olds binging pretty hard.

Oh wait, that's just college.

I'm 20, and would have no problem whatsoever buying whatever I wanted to.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:22 pm
@oaktonarcher,
See I honestly don’t think it would be a huge change if we lowered it, I’m 19 and I have no problem getting alcohol. But it will deff get worse before it gets better, But I would like to see our culture to a point where people grow up with wine and beer. So we don’t have this issue of kids going to College and getting alcohol poisoning.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:54 pm
@oaktonarcher,
The more I think about it I believe your right....

People would just be doing it legally instead of illegally like yours truly Laughing
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:22 pm
@oaktonarcher,
It would just be a mindfuck to all the conservative people in America, and I can't see it possibly happening.

But I agree with it.
oaktonarcher

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:58 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
It would just be a mindfuck to all the conservative people in America, and I can't see it possibly happening.

But I agree with it.

Thats how a lot of topics are on this site, but I would like to see this changed. its just getting people in trouble
Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:01 am
@oaktonarcher,
:confused:
I don't see the connection between conservatives and drinking , is every topic to be led down the path to an argument between cons & libs ?
Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:09 am
@oaktonarcher,
Each side has its view of the other , and in my experience each thinks the worst of the other . Colleges seem to be more liberal than the general public and that is where many of us were and are exposed to underage drinking , but I don't think this is a political difference that can be decided along those lines .

At the risk of starting Brent going on about religion , I think our societal constrictions on drinking are the result of our country's Judeo-Christian mores fostered by our Founders' beliefs and tempered by the continuing belief in those mores by the majority of Americans .
0 Replies

ohiosweetheart

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:49 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
:confused:
I don't see the connection between conservatives and drinking , is every topic to be led down the path to an argument between cons & libs ?

yes.....
0 Replies