New Orleans Swears In Nagin

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 11:59 pm
Quote:
Mayor Ray Nagin took the oath of office Thursday for a second term leading this storm-hobbled city, promising a better future during a ceremony held at the site of some of the worst misery caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Nagin, who defeated Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu on May 20, was sworn in at the convention center, a giant riverside complex where thousands of hungry, scared evacuees waited days for rescue last summer as muddy water submerged most of the city.

"Today is a new beginning for New Orleans, another beginning for New Orleans. I stand before you tried, tested and having weathered the worst of storms," Nagin said.

He took the oath of office the same day as the start of the new hurricane season. "How can we do an inauguration on the same day as hurricane season? Lord, have mercy," Nagin joked in a speech that often sounded like a sermon as he recounted small miracles in the city and promised bigger ones to come.

Nagin thanked President Bush and Gov. Kathleen Blanco, who both at times were his adversaries in Katrina's aftermath.

What are your views on New Orleans electing him after the Katrina fiasco?

Whole Article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 989 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jatuab

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:06 am
@Brent cv,
It all takes me back to his "Chocolate City" remark on MLK day this past January. He's not the man for the job, and I bet the out of state busing had something to do with his election.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:07 am
@Brent cv,
I agree.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 10:03 am
@Brent cv,
Just goes to prove the whole city is corrupt. IMO
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 11:29 pm
@Brent cv,
Yeah, I'm with jatuab.

All I think about is his incompetence and his chocolate city remark.
Life

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:30 pm
@ndjs,
The CHOCOLATE part of the POPULATION is ALSO the extreme poor.. I doubt many PEOPLE who Lived to Escape Katrina WILL rush back to a near death experience.
I think, EVENTUALLY, the mexicans, sent to CLEAN the joint WILL REPLACE Nagin/ and his idea of a CHOCOLATE CITY...
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:22 pm
@Brent cv,
Chocolate is, in fact, brown.
Life

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:31 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Chocolate is, in fact, brown.

If Nagin was referring to mexicans as the New CHOCOLATE city he's got a better chance, by the way, never seen a CHOCOLATE mexican..but I guess they exist....I thougt Nagin was speaking of AFRICAN american
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:39 pm
@Brent cv,
Just shows us how corrupt New Orleans and Louisiana politics is and nearly always has been .
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:59 am
@Life,
Life wrote:
If Nagin was referring to mexicans as the New CHOCOLATE city he's got a better chance, by the way, never seen a CHOCOLATE mexican..but I guess they exist....I thougt Nagin was speaking of AFRICAN american
Chocolate mexican? They call them Cuban, Dominican.
0 Replies