Physician Assisted Suicide

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:17 am
What does everyone think about Assisted Suicide when administered by a Physician?

I myself am for it. I think that if you get to that point where you are no longer productive in life and you wish to be put out of your misery then I do not see why you should not be able to go peacefully.

What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 8,594 • Replies: 58
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
@Brent cv,
I'm for it.
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:32 pm
@Brent cv,
I am against it. To me, this is the same idea as abortion, except the person is older and chooses for themselves. Suicide is suicide, assisted or not. I don't agree.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 10:58 pm
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:
I am against it. To me, this is the same idea as abortion, except the person is older and chooses for themselves. Suicide is suicide, assisted or not. I don't agree.

If they want to kill their selves when they are 85 and can't walk without massive pain/10 different pills then why should we make them suffer when they dont want to?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
@Brent cv,
IMO is should be left up to the state like abortion used to be. Let the people decide for themselves. If you off yourself and it is deemed illegal. Who do they prosecute? No live body. Hopefully this is one of the things SCOTUS will hand back to the individual states.
STEVE cv

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:06 pm
@Brent cv,
I am for it, an adult should be able to make their own decision. When it comes to abortions this is completley different, because during an abortion you end the life of someone who has no say in the actions.
Robodoon

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 03:37 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
What does everyone think about Assisted Suicide when administered by a Physician?

I myself am for it. I think that if you get to that point where you are no longer productive in life and you wish to be put out of your misery then I do not see why you should not be able to go peacefully.

What are your thoughts?

Well thats kind of how the Nazis got started killing people. Selling it as "helping" them, now people picking is a little different, then whats ahead in the furture, and example would be the Dutch, who kill off lots of people in hospitals who aren't even close to death or really sick.... that sort of mind set is showing up in America as well.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 05:27 pm
@Brent cv,
^ not exactly. Nobody I'm aware of wants to just kill off lots of people in hospitals, regardless of their condition.

The physician assisted suicide we're discussing involves a patient who makes a lucid request of someone who can make the request happen in a hopefully painless way.
0 Replies

Mesh cv

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 10:33 am
@Brent cv,
Mercy Killing is definitely out of line because

1. The person who does Euthenasia is bounded by murder (psychologically)
2. Accepting death is different to commiting to it
3. A person who can make decisions should make them but given the circumstance of pain, he/she cant decide properly because their moral and sane judgemets are clouded by it.

So, Its both damaging to the person who's living and who's about to be tortured by his/her consciencel; and the person choosing death abruptly or death to come.
A human being loves life, no one can ever say w/ pure truth and meaning that they embrace death fully. So, I am against it.
Bean cv

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:07 am
@Brent cv,
I agree that people should have the right to choose life or death for themselves. You can't just say to someone "No, you're not allowed to die yet." Plus, having physician assisted suicide is a lot better than people just killing themselves anyways, most likely in a way more painful, unexpected and a lot of the time messy.
As for the conscious of the physician or doctor, the doctor could easily simply mark where the injection should be inserted, hand over the hypodermic containing whatever is being used, and leave the room while the person injects h--self, and then takes care of anything that needs to be done afterwards. This will probably leave at least one safety issue to hospital staff, but there are ways that that can be taken care of I'm sure.
This would also give the person commiting the suicide a chance to fill out a will or any other things that might need to be taken care of with help from officials if needed.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
@Brent cv,
If a person is allowed to say "No, you're not allowed to die yet." what is the difference it they were to say " your not allowed to live yet?"
People on this planet were never asked when and if they wanted to live why should anyone say when they can die?
0 Replies

Bean cv

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:23 am
@Brent cv,
People will commit suicide whether others think it is wrong or not. They already do and there's not a very realistic way of making suicide illegal; it just wouldn't make sense. So, what's wrong with providing people with a cleaner and better set up alternative to using a gun, rope, or knife?
Sherman cv

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:26 am
@Brent cv,
In my opinion, only the person who's suffering whatever, can be the judge for his/her own life..Perhaps other people can see such action as a coward way to die or an easy way out, but seroiusly who really can tell, what that person's life is or has been? Everyone is responsable for their oown action and choices in life and death...So i agree... Not my place to judge!:lightbulb: Exception for mass murderers apply!!! I want to be part of that judge and jury who fry their ass...!!!! Bless Guantanamo Bay!!
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:42 pm
@Bean cv,
Bean;8909 wrote:
People will commit suicide whether others think it is wrong or not. They already do and there's not a very realistic way of making suicide illegal; it just wouldn't make sense. So, what's wrong with providing people with a cleaner and better set up alternative to using a gun, rope, or knife?
Why provide an end to there means if there gonna do it anyway. Having a smaller mess to clean up isn't justification enought to me, IMO.
0 Replies

Bean cv

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:21 pm
@Brent cv,
This would also remind them to/give them a chance to do a will etc. Plus, it would be much less unexpectant if one were to commit suicide this way. Instead of walking into a room and seeing someone you care about dead, you would more likely know ahead of time. Of course, there will be remorse either way, but, this way they would have more of a chance to brace themsleves, in a way.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:08 pm
@Bean cv,
Bean;8955 wrote:
This would also remind them to/give them a chance to do a will etc. Plus, it would be much less unexpectant if one were to commit suicide this way. Instead of walking into a room and seeing someone you care about dead, you would more likely know ahead of time. Of course, there will be remorse either way, but, this way they would have more of a chance to brace themsleves, in a way.
Quote:
Plus, it would be much less unexpectant if one were to commit suicide this way.

What do you mean by "less unexpectant?" Would they be required to make a public notice?
Quote:
Instead of walking into a room and seeing someone you care about dead, you would more likely know ahead of time.

I think the people that are thinking of killing themselves have that option of letting people know, with or without the use of a doctor. They chose not to in most cases.
Quote:
Of course, there will be remorse either way, but, this way they would have more of a chance to brace themsleves, in a way.

So i guess your sympathy leans twards the people left behind not the person leaving?
0 Replies

Bean cv

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:38 pm
@Brent cv,
By "less unexpected" I was refering to the fact that others would more likely know about the persons choice before they did the deed. Also, they could make a mandatory time period between when the person comes into the hospital and when they come in for the "appointment".
As for my sympathy, yes, they lie with the people who will grieve the loss of someone they knew/ cared about. I believe that people should have this right, but, that doesn't mean that I don't think it a very idiotic choice to make. If they decided that they would rather be dead, why would I be sympathetic? They got what they wanted.
0 Replies

oleo

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:39 am
@Brent cv,
Humankind is a death machine. That certain kinds of death are differentiated
gets kind of funny, in an insane way.

Hussein killed lots of Iraqis. Why? To hold power over the country. He gets hung
as a result.

It can be argued George W. Bush has killed lots of Iraqis. Why? In a way to
get power of the country in the hands of who he sees fit. A big difference?
Pure perspective.

There's always considerable outcry over abortion. Outcry over millions of
small children starving to death, or being blown to bits by whoever? Not
really...

Lots of elderly people freeze to death each winter, or die as a result of being
neglected and not receiving proper care. I've never heard a political statement
about that, in this, a country that seems to view the elderly as parasites.
Bring up universal health care and get lambasted about "not paying to take
care of other people..."

Yet, a terminally ill person choosing to forgo suffering is a crime.

... and let's not even bring up the unfortunate case of Terri Schiavo, someone
who died and whose body was kept alive without a brain by medical means.
That's unethical to me.

As for abortion, as time goes on I can find fewer reasons to justify the
practice. Then again, I don't look upon women who become pregnant outside
of marriage as pariahs and I certainly don't mind paying taxes to support and
help the little buggers on the path to good lives.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 07:55 pm
@Brent cv,
diseases are so horrific and cause so much unfathomable suffering, I can understand why victims would want to terminate their agony through suicide. Mercy-killing can be legitimate.:frown:
Drnaline

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:28 am
@Brent cv,
Quote:
It can be argued George W. Bush has killed lots of Iraqis. Why? In a way to
get power of the country in the hands of who he sees fit. A big difference?
Pure perspective.

If it can be argued that Bush has killed. Then one can argue Olea has killed as well.
Quote:
A big difference?
Pure perspective.

There is a huge difference, i don't care who's perspective you use. Saddam actually put a gun to a persons head and pulled the trigger. If you consider Bush a murderer how do you live with yourself? There has not been a president yet who does not have blood on his hands. But that does not make him kill.
Quote:
... and let's not even bring up the unfortunate case of Terri Schiavo, someone
who died and whose body was kept alive without a brain by medical means.
That's unethical to me.

Terry Schiavo died 12 to 14 days after they starved her to death, what a humain way to die don't you think. Wonder what that felt like? And can you speak for her, that she felt no pian?
She needed no machine to breath, just to eat.
0 Replies