WHAT DO WE WANT FOR CHRISTMAS?

estrella

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 01:33 pm
littlek:

How much of a pledge do people usually give? Perhaps we could put our pennies together, ask other people to join us, and give a nice Xmas donation to NPR collectively! ??? What do you think?

Idea
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 01:41 pm
Good idea! I think they like to get anything, but their pitches are for "one dollar a day", "10 dollars a month", "Just 5 dollars a month". Soooo, I'd think that 60 bucks would be nice, 100 would be terrific (for a group donation).
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:40 pm
littlek:

Here's what I think might work--see if you think it sounds logical:

Why don't you start an A2K thread on donations to NPR and ask people to say how much they will donate--suggested donation $5.00 per person.

When we get enough pledges to make a respectable amount, perhaps one of us should contact NPR and say that we would like to pledge so much, but we live scattered out everywhere, so the dynamics of getting the money together all in one place would be pretty difficult. We could ask: Would it be possible to set up a donation fund for Able2Know and have the members of our web site send in their donations to that fund?

If they would let us do it that way, it would be fairly easy, and would leave the toting up to them, which would be perfectly proper.

I don't know whether you have already contacted NPR about giving a donation, but if you have, you could contact them again, and tell them that you would like to roll your donation over into this kind of setup for Able2Know. If you want name recognition here, you could be the CEO in charge of the Able2Know NPR Fund and do the contacting, have the fund be known as Able2Know, coordinator littlek.

What do you think?

Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:47 pm
Sounds like a lot of work! ut, I wonder if it'd work.
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 04:02 pm
Dunno....I guess there's only one way to find out....or revise the tentative plan to make it work better.... Very Happy
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:10 pm
While you-all are deciding on your Xmas wishes, here is some Xmas music to wish by:

http://www.acebiz.com/xmasmidi/xmasmidi.htm
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:34 pm
if you guys PROMISE and i mean REALLY PROMISE to send me the $, i'll write the check. you all get together and write what you want me to say about a2k. i can't live without it either. i used to pledge every year, but can't afford it now.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:53 pm
Gift and charity option all in one:
http://www.starfoundation.net/
Purchase a star for a lovedone and have 25% go to charity
Charity Partners:
http://www.starfoundation.net/charity.html

<interesting concept I think>
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:30 pm
I just sent a preliminary query to NPR to see what they think about us singly sending our checks to a collective account for able2know...

Nothing like askin'.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:38 pm
yay Mikey! Yay Estrella! Mikey, I'll hand you a check over a pint at the yardarm!
Yay quinn (going to check out the link)!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:40 pm
quinn, didn't we check out that concept last year and find out it was bunk? I mean the named star bit. I guess if the money was going to charity it wouldn't really matter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:42 pm
so you want $ for NPR, l'k? I'll see if i can send you some u.s. $.

Does anyone work for an employer that matches donations? a friend (rarely active here) collects small donations from friends, makes the donation in his name, gets his employer to match - more money for the charity.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:48 pm
I'm a little bit confused! Isn't it better to send any donations into NPR yourself - to get tax credit for it? c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
tax credit smax credit. I don't live in an income bracket where taxes have anything to do with it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
Bethie, if I had the money I'd spend it on something silly like food, I'd rather bypass me all-together.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:54 pm
I did have a thought about that when I first saw it...that it was bunk and all...pairing that with charity, well, thats a nice thought at least.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:57 pm
LilK, i never go to the yardarm.....maybe 3 times in ten years. we can do it at the burren in davis square, how's that for makin things simple?

will they do it tho? collective funds on a personal check in my name i/c/o a2k? i don't give a sh** about writing it off for myself, no need to worry there....not enough income to worry about.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:00 pm
I dunno how they'd do it. I've never been a follower of the business world.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:10 pm
i was , but it would be a PIA to set up a checking acct unless it was constantly active...paperwork is not my forte. if you all are serious, we can work something out. i'm game.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:45 pm
XMAS
SealPoet, are you sure that your name is
not really Scott, and you grew up in PA??? You sound
like you came from MY family. And here I thought
WE were the only ones :wink: :wink:
It is hard on you as a kid, though
to give up dreaming wishing hoping Crying or Very sad
So here comes Dad, with that better later than never idea???
as if it's something new and original,
just because it is -- for him. Rolling Eyes
meanwhile - you have a life, and plans of your own?
MAY YOUR EVERY WISH COME TRUE Laughing Laughing Laughing
If YOU are anything like US, we have a real tough time
wishing for things. Question Question Question
But there is always a wish under even the toughest
old bird on the web. I secretly want to get a baby
grand piano for Christmas, so I hope Santa hears me.
0 Replies