Do you believe that there should be a no smoking in public places law?

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 11:35 pm
A lot of these laws are popping up in cities all across the nation to make restraunts and even bars non smoking...

What is your take...

Me? On the fence... so maybe someone can push me one way or the other?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,048 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
@Brent cv,
I don't agree that there should be such a law . I don't smoke , but don't begrudge smokers rights to poison themselves . Offices , restaurants , etc , yes , but not all public places . Many restaurants have found ways to separate the smoking section effectively here in my area so that non-smokers are not bothered . Either by closing that section off completely or with very efficient exhaust systems .
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
@Brent cv,
In most restaurants in VA there is smoking, and if u sit in a non smoking section you

never smell it. But should people be able to smoke in like places where others have to

be, like elevators and so forth, no in my opinion. In general I think it would be better if

people just took it outside or in to special sections. But bars are a different story,

going in to a bar you have to expect smoking.
0 Replies

KyleUSAF

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:55 pm
@Brent cv,
second hand smoke is harmful..that's a fact
and i dont think people who chose not to smoke should have to breath it if they don't want to in order to get somewhere they need to be...

i don't mind if people do it in private...if i chose to be with them, i am choosing to take in some smoke, but it is my choice...so i'd say that law is reasonable
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
@Brent cv,
I smoke, and I do not care about the no smoking in the restaurant rules. Nobody smokes when they're eating, because it's nasty as hell, haha. And I don't really want to sit next to someone who is waiting for food and smoking while i'm eating.

So I think no smoking in a restaurant or most any public place is fine, except for bars. You go to a bar, expect smoke. Some of the bars here in bham have no smoking inside rules, but the inside is about half the size as the outside, which is where the party always is anyways, haha.

I think laws like some places have are stupid, where you're not allowed to smoke in public, period. like on your porch is illegal. I don't smoke in my car and I don't smoke in my apartment. I always go outside to smoke. I don't want all my stuff smelling like smoke, so I don't think they should make a law making my apartment the only legal place for me to smoke.
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:01 am
@Brent cv,
There is a non smoking in public places law here. U can smoke on the street, just not in any public buildings. I used to smoke and truthfully, I always think, WTF was the point of smoking. Inhaling all that crap. for what? Anyway, non-smokers should not be forced to be exposed to cigarrete smoke if u wanna go to a bar or restaurant. After the law took effect , bars and restaurants did not loose any business either.

http://www.trytostop.org/more_info/cigarette-ingredients.asp
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
@Brent cv,
I'm not worried about bars losing business. I just think it's one of those things. Don't go to a bar and expect to not see alcohol, don't go to a bar and expect not to see smokers. People smoke when they drink.

Like I said, I smoke, and I do agree with a no smoking in restaurants rule.
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:43 pm
@Brent cv,
yeah the only problem is that if u go to a bar and don't feel like drinking you are not physically affected by the drinking of others, that's not the case if a non-smoker goes to a bar and people around him are smoking. I like the law, and surprinsingly there was no uproar of people opposing it, people that wanna smoke just step outside.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:18 pm
@Brent cv,
a lot of the bars here in bham have like an outside section, like a patio, and the indoor part. Smoking is ok on the porch/patio, but not inside.
0 Replies

Warfire80

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 02:18 am
@Brent cv,
I used to be a smoker and I hate smoking indoors, gets in your clothes and all, plus resturants it gets into the food and just ruins everything. I went to a bar here in Jacksonville before the smoking ban once, and spent about an hour there and came out smelling like a wet cig, thats what made me quit. So I do agree with the law and hope it stays around.
0 Replies