• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,457 • Replies: 35
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:44 pm
@Brent cv,
Criminally indicted on charges of conspiracy? Unexpected by me, to say the least.

Roy Blunt of Missouri named as replacement.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:21 pm
@Brent cv,
What ever comes of it. At worst a pardin is in the air.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:26 pm
@Brent cv,
Heard today on Fox that Ronny Earle had problems getting his indictment so he had to bypass the second Grand Jury to get some one that would indict him. The first guy said there wasn't enough but he wouold indict him for other stuff. Case is starting to look shakey.

Edit-Found a link. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/10/06/other_jury_declined_to_indict_delay?mode=PF
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:21 pm
@Brent cv,
http://www.therant.us/staff/guest/gaynor/10052005.htm
Dual Standards for Delay and Pelosi

October 5, 2005 - Tom DeLay is pro-life, conservative, Republican and as effective in accomplishing things as a hammer is in driving a nail where it belongs

Nancy Pelosi is pro-abortion, radical, Democrat and effective in obstructing the will of most Americans.

Tom DeLay resigned as House Republican Majority Leader, because he was indicted and Republican Rules (not House rules) require that.

Nancy Pelosi has not resigned, even though she was found guilty of having a "fund-raising committee...improperly accepted donations over federal limits" and fined $21,000.

The Democrats do not have a rule requiring Pelosi to resign, even though convicted.

What does all this mean?

Click for the rest.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:30 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
http://www.therant.us/staff/guest/gaynor/10052005.htm
Dual Standards for Delay and Pelosi

October 5, 2005 - Tom DeLay is pro-life, conservative, Republican and as effective in accomplishing things as a hammer is in driving a nail where it belongs

Nancy Pelosi is pro-abortion, radical, Democrat and effective in obstructing the will of most Americans.

Tom DeLay resigned as House Republican Majority Leader, because he was indicted and Republican Rules (not House rules) require that.

Nancy Pelosi has not resigned, even though she was found guilty of having a "fund-raising committee...improperly accepted donations over federal limits" and fined $21,000.

The Democrats do not have a rule requiring Pelosi to resign, even though convicted.

What does all this mean?

Click for the rest.

You forgot to mention (or the article did) this:

Read The Whole Article

Quote:

House Republican leaders last night abandoned a proposal to loosen rules governing members' ethical conduct, as they yielded to pressure from rank-and-file lawmakers concerned that the party was sending the wrong message.

The proposal would have made it more difficult for lawmakers to discipline a colleague for unethical behavior and would have allowed Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) to keep his post if he is indicted by a Texas grand jury that is looking into his campaign finance practices.

The sudden reversal came amid growing indications of dissension within the GOP. Just before House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert's office announced that the measures were being dropped, the chairman of the House ethics committee issued an unusual statement denouncing the leadership's plan.

Again you are playing party lines acting like the republicans can do no wrong...

The republicans only folded due to pressure from democrats... had they had their way they would have abolished this Ethics rule.

Why do we bother trying to prove one party is better than the other when they are both equally bad and only concerned with their interests?

Wasted debate space.....
ndjs

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:12 pm
@Brent cv,
After reading both those, I still can't see how you could say that the Republicans are not obviously more strict about ethics and positions.
Drnaline

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:37 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
You forgot to mention (or the article did) this:

Read The Whole Article

Again you are playing party lines acting like the republicans can do no wrong...

The republicans only folded due to pressure from democrats... had they had their way they would have abolished this Ethics rule.

Why do we bother trying to prove one party is better than the other when they are both equally bad and only concerned with their interests?

Wasted debate space.....
I'm playing party lines? The ethics rule you are talking about we made, not the democrats. And we are the ones adhearing to it. The example was Pelosi who was not only indicted but convicted and yet she still holds her position. So who is playing partisan? At least you don't exclude yourself from the WE. "Wasted debate space" Yeah, i guess i could waist my space some where else?
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
After reading both those, I still can't see how you could say that the Republicans are not obviously more strict about ethics and positions.

The republicans that are currently in power tried to strip the very Ethic rules away that you speak of... so if they were trying to remove them... does that not make their thinking "less strict"?

Just playing Devils advocate here... I can't stand Nanci Pelosi at all... but I can't stand the majority of the republican party in its current state either.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
I'm playing party lines? The ethics rule you are talking about we made, not the democrats.

Duh, that's why they are for Republicans only.

Quote:

And we are the ones adhearing to it.

Did you read the article.. the very republican party in power now tried to remove it and only folded under pressure from passing it. :rolleyes:

Quote:
The example was Pelosi who was not only indicted but convicted and yet she still holds her position.

My example is the republicans attempted to remove the very Ethics rule you are talking about Tom Delay adhering too. :uhh:

Quote:

So who is playing partisan? At least you don't exclude yourself from the WE.

I'm giving you the other side of the story... you just told one side I gave the other :bored:

Quote:
"Wasted debate space" Yeah, i guess i could waist my space some where else?

Way to blow things up here. I was simply stating that if you go to any political board it is filled up with 90% trash talk on one party or the other and does nothing to reach a goal :rolleyes:
Drnaline

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:17 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Duh, that's why they are for Republicans only.

Did you read the article.. the very republican party in power now tried to remove it and only folded under pressure from passing it. :rolleyes:

My example is the republicans attempted to remove the very Ethics rule you are talking about Tom Delay adhering too. :uhh:

I'm giving you the other side of the story... you just told one side I gave the other :bored:

Way to blow things up here. I was simply stating that if you go to any political board it is filled up with 90% trash talk on one party or the other and does nothing to reach a goal :rolleyes:
"Duh, that's why they are for Republicans only."
Ok, i get it. You think ethics are used only by repubs? I thought ethics were supposed to be used by both sides!

"Did you read the article.. the very republican party in power now tried to remove it and only folded under pressure from passing it. "

Yes i did. Why is it ok for us to up hold it but not the democrats? If it's only are rule then why the opposition to do away with it being the democrats sure don't feel any remorse for even a conviction?

"My example is the republicans attempted to remove the very Ethics rule you are talking about Tom Delay adhering too. "

Why not remove it when only one side adheres to it? Why do you not hold Pelosi to the same standard?

"I'm giving you the other side of the story... you just told one side I gave the other "

The other side is full of hipocracy. What's good for the goose is NOT what's good for the gander?

"Way to blow things up here. I was simply stating that if you go to any political board it is filled up with 90% trash talk on one party or the other and does nothing to reach a goal "

You made the statement not me. Most people wouldn't like there words being insinuated a waist of space, it's not just me. I for one feel that we will never get that 10% of real progress unless we are willing to invest in the harsh 90%debate. That trash talk keeps most normal people in check unless your one of those people who are willing to take it farther then words. The short time I have been here I have read you engage in those same said tirraids. Rants is what the call them i think, but heay i can roll with the best of them. No harm, no foul.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:46 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:

Ok, i get it. You think ethics are used only by repubs? I thought ethics were supposed to be used by both sides!

:rolleyes:

Ethics and Politics should not be used in the same sentence. I could careless if the democrats had the same thing as the republicans becuase with it or without it they are lying scumbags.

Quote:

Yes i did. Why is it ok for us to up hold it but not the democrats? If it's only are rule then why the opposition to do away with it being the democrats sure don't feel any remorse for even a conviction?

Nice dude! You totally avoided my point.

I am not talking about Democrats I am talking about the current republican majority attempting to rewrite the ethics rules so that they would not have to step down. Until you touch this then I will not be fielding any of your spin :wink:

Quote:
Why not remove it when only one side adheres to it? Why do you not hold Pelosi to the same standard?

Hey fine with me! I could careless. It just makes the republicans look better on paper. That's it and that is all. I believe either they both should have it or both not... but that is not why I posted what I did... I assume you think that the Republicans goal in removing this Ethics rule was to be fair with the Democrats correct, and not to possibly.. oh... keep Delay in the majority seat?

Quote:
The other side is full of hipocracy. What's good for the goose is NOT what's good for the gander?

The other side is fact. That is what I presented. Here you go again with your "Anything said by the left against the right is pure hypocrisy" moaning.

Quote:
You made the statement not me.

Well you took it wrong. Smile
ndjs

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:51 pm
@Brent cv,
But they didn't remove it. The fact that they are there in the first place separates the Republicans from the Democrats. Maybe they tried to remove them because Tom Delay is a good leader and these accusations apparently don't have much truth to them, and just removing the rules would be easier than allowing an exception this one time.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:55 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
But they didn't remove it.

Why didnt they remove it? Due to pressure from Democrats (How they could pressure them is beyond me seeing how they lacked it to begin with.... their only goal was that they knew Tom Delay would be indicted and they wanted him to step down... but I still see no reason they should have had a backbone to pressure the republicans seeing how they did not hold this ethics rule) Had that pressure not been there they would have removed it. It's easy for me to see that.

Quote:
The fact that they are there in the first place separates the Republicans from the Democrats.

One is ethical on paper and one is not in my mind..... that is all that says...

Quote:
Maybe they tried to remove them because Tom Delay is a good leader and these accusations apparently don't have much truth to them, and just removing the rules would be easier than allowing an exception this one time.

Possibly.... I can't think for them just use my opinion based on what I take in... meaning they are politicians and are in this for themselves... I have a feeling it was not because Tom Delay was such a great leader they did not want him to step down... but that they did not want the bad media exposure of having their Majority leader step down based on fraud accusations.

That is my take..
NaterG

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:56 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
But they didn't remove it. The fact that they are there in the first place separates the Republicans from the Democrats. Maybe they tried to remove them because Tom Delay is a good leader and these accusations apparently don't have much truth to them, and just removing the rules would be easier than allowing an exception this one time.

I am with Nick on this one.
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:02 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:

Possibly.... I can't think for them just use my opinion based on what I take in... meaning they are politicians and are in this for themselves... I have a feeling it was not because Tom Delay was such a great leader they did not want him to step down... but that they did not want the bad media exposure of having their Majority leader step down based on fraud accusations.

That is my take..

Thats a little too gross of a generalization to go without a comment. Yeah, I am sure most of them are, however, I refuse to believe that EVERY one of them is. Not all politicians are bad, most, but not all.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:07 pm
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:
Thats a little too gross of a generalization to go without a comment. Yeah, I am sure most of them are, however, I refuse to believe that EVERY one of them is. Not all politicians are bad, most, but not all.

Maybe so... but I see no good coming out of anyone's mouth in the Senate or House and I see no progress being made...

Take oil prices for example.... no one has grown the balls to build new refineries instead they want to pull the wool over Americans eyes and drill for more oil which 90% of Americans believe is the cause of high gas prices, which is the shortage of oil.

There are so many things to point out it is insane... and I do not see one person actively campaigning with all their power to get these sort of things changed, which is their job is it not?

Do we elect these people into office knowing they are going to suck our tax dollars up and do nothing with them and that is somehow ok with Americans?

What can I as just one America do to change this?

Vote? Doesn't seem like a good option seeing how they all do not meet my expectations of fixing problems.
Write my congressman? What is the point.... all that happens is some college interns write me back... they rarely if ever read them.

Run for office? Right..... against the Billions of dollars the republicans and democrats pissed away during the 2004 elections....
Drnaline

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:10 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
:rolleyes:

Ethics and Politics should not be used in the same sentence. I could careless if the democrats had the same thing as the republicans becuase with it or without it they are lying scumbags.

Nice dude! You totally avoided my point.

I am not talking about Democrats I am talking about the current republican majority attempting to rewrite the ethics rules so that they would not have to step down. Until you touch this then I will not be fielding any of your spin :wink:

Hey fine with me! I could careless. It just makes the republicans look better on paper. That's it and that is all. I believe either they both should have it or both not... but that is not why I posted what I did... I assume you think that the Republicans goal in removing this Ethics rule was to be fair with the Democrats correct, and not to possibly.. oh... keep Delay in the majority seat?

The other side is fact. That is what I presented. Here you go again with your "Anything said by the left against the right is pure hypocrisy" moaning.

Well you took it wrong. Smile
"I am not talking about Democrats I am talking about the current republican majority attempting to rewrite the ethics rules so that they would not have to step down. Until you touch this then I will not be fielding any of your spin "

We are touching on this. Why can you separate the government? It is within the majoritys right to change any thing they see fit. The democrats did it while they had it?

"Hey fine with me! I could careless. It just makes the republicans look better on paper. That's it and that is all. I believe either they both should have it or both not... but that is not why I posted what I did... I assume you think that the Republicans goal in removing this Ethics rule was to be fair with the Democrats correct, and not to possibly.. oh... keep Delay in the majority seat?"

Paper is proof. Yes i think it's fair for both if one won't comply. Delay stepped down under his own power, no one forced him? My question is more why the democrats want him out when one of there own was indicted and convicted and not a word of having them step down much less doing it on her own? She's still in the catbird seat and Delay ain't, seems strange to me.

"The other side is fact. That is what I presented. Here you go again with your "Anything said by the left against the right is pure hypocrisy" moaning"

Pelosi convicted, still has job. Delay indicted, doesn't have job. You see no hipocracy huh?

"Well you took it wrong."

With that other 90% trash talk we were able to figure that out, Damn i love this country! LOL
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
We are touching on this. Why can you separate the government? It is within the majoritys right to change any thing they see fit. The democrats did it while they had it?

Again enough with the bullshit majority rules crap. I know how the US works and I know what state the US is in right now too. So maybe the minority needs to rule on some issues now? Just because the majority changes something doesn't mean that the change is good. Stop pointing that out to me I am well aware that majority rules. I am not talking about majority ruling I am talking about what I view is the right thing to do and giving my reasoning for it.

Quote:
Paper is proof. Yes i think it's fair for both if one won't comply. Delay stepped down under his own power, no one forced him?

He stepped down because he had too. Period

Quote:
My question is more why the democrats want him out when one of there own was indicted and convicted and not a word of having them step down much less doing it on her own? She's still in the catbird seat and Delay ain't, seems strange to me.

Oh I agree, but you can be critical of both parties at once.. can you not? You were critical of the democrats and I pointed out a flaw I saw in the republican party. Is this not acceptable to you? :wink:

Quote:
Pelosi convicted, still has job. Delay indicted, doesn't have job. You see no hipocracy huh?

Due to rules put into effect by his own party.... again I can not stand Nanci Pelosi. She is just as crooked as Ted Kennedy.

Quote:
With that other 90% trash talk we were able to figure that out, Damn i love this country! LOL

I am talking about people being blind to one party :bored:
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Maybe so... but I see no good coming out of anyone's mouth in the Senate or House and I see no progress being made...

Take oil prices for example.... no one has grown the balls to build new refineries instead they want to pull the wool over Americans eyes and drill for more oil which 90% of Americans believe is the cause of high gas prices, which is the shortage of oil.

There are so many things to point out it is insane... and I do not see one person actively campaigning with all their power to get these sort of things changed, which is their job is it not?

Do we elect these people into office knowing they are going to suck our tax dollars up and do nothing with them and that is somehow ok with Americans?

What can I as just one America do to change this?

Vote? Doesn't seem like a good option seeing how they all do not meet my expectations of fixing problems.
Write my congressman? What is the point.... all that happens is some college interns write me back... they rarely if ever read them.

Run for office? Right..... against the Billions of dollars the republicans and democrats pissed away during the 2004 elections....

I do agree with you there. I really do feel helpless with the goings on in our government anymore today, but thats another topic I think I will start, because I have been thinking about this alot.