So who is for a National Sales tax?

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
So who is for a National Sales tax? With this would come the abolishment of the IRS and any income tax or tax period unless it is a tax on a purchase...

I vote yes! Bring it on.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,570 • Replies: 21
No top replies

JEB007

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:07 am
@Brent cv,
I would have to know what the % would be on purchases to determine what would be most beneficial to myself. I would have to look at all the purchases I made for a whole year and know how much federal sales tax I would have paid on it and then compare it to the income tax I paid and see what saves me more money.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:36 am
@Brent cv,
I could go along with a national sales tax . Providing of course that the income tax goes away completely . Suggested percentages are from 17% to 25% of income . That range would be about right IMO , but please don't let them build a Tax office like the IRS !
This might be off Brent's topic , but please educate yourself about the Value Added Tax used in parts of Europe , it is a system we certainly don't want here ! Imagine a tax added on a product at every level of production and distribution . Nightmare in the making . The VAT is extremely cumbersome and just doesn't seem kosher .
Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
I could go along with a national sales tax . Providing of course that the income tax goes away completely . Suggested percentages are from 17% to 25% of income . That range would be about right IMO , but please don't let them build a Tax office like the IRS !
This might be off Brent's topic , but please educate yourself about the Value Added Tax used in parts of Europe , it is a system we certainly don't want here ! Imagine a tax added on a product at every level of production and distribution . Nightmare in the making . The VAT is extremely cumbersome and just doesn't seem kosher .

Yea that tax is def. something I do not want.

What I want is the abolishment of the IRS and every other tax in this country except the National Sales tax.

That should be plenty of money to manage a government :wink:
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:24 pm
@Brent cv,
This might also push the US government to run a little more efficiently. The elimination of the IRS wouldn’t be bad at all, considering for every dollar that enters it only .25 cents comes out due to the huge amounts of bureaucracy inside.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:50 pm
@Brent cv,
:yup:
I agree !
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:46 pm
@Brent cv,
They already have plenty of money!
Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
They already have plenty of money!

Right... which is why we need a National Sales tax....
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:30 pm
@Brent cv,
Meh...I dunno. From my current standpoint I don't want it, but later on when I'm actually making a decent income (hopefully) it would be a good idea.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
@Brent cv,
Well do you really buy alot of stuff as it is?

Under my system food would not be taxed...
JEB007

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:37 am
@Brent cv,
I buy a lot of stuff.
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:52 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Well do you really buy alot of stuff as it is?

Under my system food would not be taxed...

I buy a pretty good amount of stuff, and can you imagine the price of a new car under this system? Gonna be freakin ridiculous.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:54 pm
@lowflyn,
lowflyn wrote:
I buy a pretty good amount of stuff, and can you imagine the price of a new car under this system? Gonna be freakin ridiculous.

You wont have any income taxes taken out period.. so it really is not the bad if you use just a little bit of self control
0 Replies

Rob cv

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:27 pm
@Brent cv,
The best part about having a national sales tax and dropping the income tax is that all of the income that is "under the table", illegal, illicit, etc, will join the taxing pool. Those working under the table buy things. Drug/Arms dealers buy luxory items. None of those moneys are currently taxed because they aren't reported as income. Therefor, a sales tax allows gov't to dip into a bigger pool. I think the rate could be much less than the 33% many currently pay for income tax. 15% or so would probably cover what they needed.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:41 pm
@Rob cv,
Rob wrote:
The best part about having a national sales tax and dropping the income tax is that all of the income that is "under the table", illegal, illicit, etc, will join the taxing pool. Those working under the table buy things. Drug/Arms dealers buy luxory items. None of those moneys are currently taxed because they aren't reported as income. Therefor, a sales tax allows gov't to dip into a bigger pool. I think the rate could be much less than the 33% many currently pay for income tax. 15% or so would probably cover what they needed.

exactly
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
So who is for a National Sales tax? With this would come the abolishment of the IRS and any income tax or tax period unless it is a tax on a purchase...

I vote yes! Bring it on.....

Been waiting along time to vote Yes on this. Death to the IRS!
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
@Brent cv,
But what happens when you buy a 750,000$ home (the avg in NVA), a 33% tax on that would be killer. And would you pay it over time, because you typically don’t buy a house all at once, would you pay the tax by tacking on to you loan. If so that’s terrible because you would then pay interest on the tax. Or would you pay this tax over time? What I suggest is this, you don’t tax essentials of life, so no tax on a house, nor tax of food (as previously suggested) and none on city water ( I live of a well so we don’t pay for our water).
Drnaline

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 08:44 pm
@Brent cv,
You got me, that's for the bean counters to figure out. I don't think you'll get away with no tak on a house?
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:15 pm
@oaktonarcher,
oaktonarcher wrote:
But what happens when you buy a 750,000$ home (the avg in NVA), a 33% tax on that would be killer. And would you pay it over time, because you typically don’t buy a house all at once, would you pay the tax by tacking on to you loan. If so that’s terrible because you would then pay interest on the tax. Or would you pay this tax over time? What I suggest is this, you don’t tax essentials of life, so no tax on a house, nor tax of food (as previously suggested) and none on city water ( I live of a well so we don’t pay for our water).

I dont see a no tax on a house as a good idea but I see your point...

I mean I dont think some Football player should be able to build a 10 million dollar house and not pay a dime on it in taxes....
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:07 pm
@Brent cv,
maybe there could be a limit on the amount of tax-free money you can spend on a house. That way you don't tax 'essentials' such as housing, but you still get tax money from 99% of housing.
0 Replies