What is the cheapest route to owning a cell phone?

MeMarie

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:04 pm
I have one now through Alltel, it is a rip off. Just finished a 2yr. contract, now I only go from month to month. There service is terrible they will not take time for me, had to push & push to get help.
I use my phone very little, text very little, but need one when traveling to family out of town. Bought my son one at the same time, he uses his a bit more but not a great deal. Mostly texting but we have never went over the limit. My son is a young driver so his phone is for safety purposes to let me know when he arrives at his destination ect. We are cost conscious and have to make adjustments, we are not into the status issue just want to have a phone for emergencies & safety. We cannot get our bill under &1oo. found out charges are being added to our account through un-authorized incoming text by mobile alerts. Stopped that as soon as we caught it, feel like I'm getting scammed & I was for sure, but now don't know if pre-paid is best, ect. Could some more informed folks help this mom. Thank you for taking time for me, Marie

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:11 pm
@MeMarie,
I have a TracFone cell phone that I paid $19 for and use prepaid minutes. Once a year I load it up with about 500 minutes and 365 days of service for $80.

http://www.tracfone.com/

The phones and the prepaid cards are available for purchase online, at a variety of stores and directly from your cell phone.

I used it for safety and to keep in touch with people last year as I drove from California to New Mexico. Have also used it for a year now in New Mexico and have had no problems with the quality or availability of service.

Those prepaid minutes are a great way to keep your phone costs under budget too.
0 Replies

G-Thomson

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:43 am
I don't know if this is what you mean, but I am on Pay-as-you-go.
Each text is 4p and each call a minute is 8p.
I don't use my phone often, so whenever I need a top-up, I just get a voucher from a shop.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
There are all sorts of low cost, pay as you go, plans available. While the charge per minute is higher, if you don't use a phone much, it comes out far less. You can get a Net10 wireless phone for around 30 dollars (including two months and 300 minutes), unused minutes go forward, and if you don't use the phone all that much, it ends up costing 15 dollars a month.
0 Replies