Faith after Nietzsche

nietzschefriend

Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:56 pm
@amist,
I posted this before and am not sure it was put in the right place so forgive the duplicate, please:

So many people do not understand Nietzsche or his Thus Spoke Zarathustra that it is an incredible phenomenon to behold the writing and the world's response to it. Nietzshce was NOT a godless man. On the contrary this work is that of an incredibly intelligent, witty, and god loving man who is indicting the world he lives in for their faithlessness and unfaithfulness to God. This is very well illustrated in the opening chapter of the first volume in which Zarathustra (who is the personification of Nietzsche) attempts to speak to the people of the world (to man) and finds that 'There they stand... there they laugh: they do not understand me; I am not the mouth for these ears.' The message proclaimed in the book that God is dead - is not understood correctly. In fact it is the people that interpret Nietzsche as a herald of godlessness that he incriminates for the wit of his writings illustrates the unspoken second clause of the proclamation: God is dead... and it is you fools who are killing him.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 7 Mar, 2015 12:00 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
I really don't think reading N can affect a person's faith any more than it was already affected before reading N.

Fred wasn't much of one for "faith." One of many of his comments on faith went something like this (paraphrasing): "Faith does not move mountains. On the contrary, it erects mountains where there were none."

Another: "Convictions are greater enemies of truth than lies."

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:34 am
@amist,
http://i57.tinypic.com/2h5o20y.jpg
http://www.berkeleymews.com/?p=220
Felim1

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:32 pm
Hi,

The question posed originally is a good one.

I've struggled with reconciling my fondness for Freddy with my faith - which approximates Judaism more closely than any one else, though I don't consider myself Jewish.

In the end, my conclusion for myself is that the Nietzcehan thing to do with any belief system is to question it, doubt it, wring it, devour it and spit it out. If, after all that, one finds it worthy of one's commitment, then one has reason with which to embrace it.

To quote from, "The Gay Science": I favor any skepsis to which I may reply, let us try it! But I no longer wish to hear anything of all those things and questions that do not permit any experiment.

I would encourage anyone who wants to discuss Nietzsche to doubt everyone's opinion, and especially those whose opinions are based on the opinions of others.
Below viewing threshold (view)
tsarstepan

Thu 11 Feb, 2021 05:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
#TBT!
Jasper10

Fri 12 Feb, 2021 03:02 am
@tsarstepan,
The problem with this is it cant be proved one way or the other whether God exists or not. This is truth and man knows it. One can't reach nihilism and then draw a conclusion one way or the other. If one does then one goes right or left into positive or negative nihilism....in HOPE....nothing more ...nothing less.
tsarstepan

Fri 12 Feb, 2021 05:35 pm
@Jasper10,
Do you genuinely think I care about this or any other philosophy thread? That's both sad and funny at the same time.
Jasper10

Mon 7 Nov, 2022 03:14 am
@Jasper10,
Unless you are a computer that is or engaging with one.We really need to learn to think for ourselves “in the moment” rather than engaging with “out of the moment” automated thoughts only.
Jasper10

Wed 9 Nov, 2022 01:02 am
@Jasper10,
I would suggest that the biological computer brain ORGAN can only balance out thought statements for and against.It can therefore only be honest when it computes that it doesn’t know whether it exists or not.

I would suggest that if we were to never think again….. ever,Thoughts for and against having been silenced.

We are.
Jasper10

Wed 9 Nov, 2022 01:40 am
@Jasper10,
I would suggest that the alternative suggestion would be that if all thoughts for and against were silenced then we would cease to exist.

Hence the two statements,

“I think therefore I am”

“I am therefore I think”

Take your pick.
Agent Smith

Sat 19 Nov, 2022 08:40 pm
@amist,
Nietzsche, for better or worse, wasn't guilty of anything at all although he was rather indiscreet about the whole affair.

How would I respond to Nietzsche?
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.fBq-e2mGhv9W2kdptiuIdgHaGr?pid=ImgDet&rs=1
Jasper10

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 12:52 am
@Jasper10,
It is possible to make an assertion one way or the other but the something making that assertion needs to EXIST first in one form or another .i.e. EXIST and either have life or not have life.
Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 05:09 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

It is possible to make an assertion one way or the other but the something making that assertion needs to EXIST first in one form or another .i.e. EXIST and either have life or not have life.

YOU may assert that you exist...but that does not mean you exist. And YOU MAY assert that you do not exist...but that also does not mean you exist.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
I dunno Frank, one manifestation, one vote?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:22 am
@Agent Smith,
Nietzsche is Pietzsche, but Camus is Bleu.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:41 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I dunno Frank, one manifestation, one vote?

I'm just attacking his attempt at logic.

We'll see how that goes.
0 Replies