Should The Disabled Be Sacrificed For The Greater Good Of The Whole?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:10 pm
@mark noble,
Great! You have a life, but you don't see the irony of your own insult.
mark noble

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi!

Of course I do. I enjoy playing with semantics, remember.

Mark...
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
continuation of the species trumps moral niceties, so the answer is of course yes, the disabled should be thrown under the bus for the greater good if this is required for the survival of the human race. This is obvious, is beyond debate...

But it wouldn't be the human race that survived hawk. It would be some reversion back to the black. A new species.

Rebecca--a beautiful piece of writing. It reminds me of another one in Laurence Stern's A Sentimental Journey. I'll see if I can find it.
Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:30 pm
I think all dickheads should be sacrificed. Laughing
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:45 pm
@spendius,
Here you are--

Quote:
I sat down close by her; and Maria let me wipe them away as they
fell, with my handkerchief. - I then steep'd it in my own, - and
then in hers, - and then in mine, - and then I wip'd hers again; -
and as I did it, I felt such undescribable emotions within me, as I
am sure could not be accounted for from any combinations of matter
and motion.

I am positive I have a soul; nor can all the books with which
materialists have pester'd the world ever convince me to the
contrary.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:12 pm
Good luck determining who is disabled and who is not...
mark noble

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:32 pm
@thack45,
Hi Thack!

Precisely!!! At last!!!

Who is disabled? EVERYONE!

Good on you.
Mark...
thack45

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:51 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Thack!

Precisely!!! At last!!!

Who is disabled? EVERYONE!

Good on you.
Mark...
I guess I should have posted days ago when I thought of it. Just one of my many disabilities
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:14 pm
@mark noble,
total fuckin copout dickhead. As a handicapped person Id like to smack your fat head around.

Have a sunny day when you get your head outta your ass
aidan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Rebecca--a beautiful piece of writing. It reminds me of another one in Laurence Stern's A Sentimental Journey. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm not sure to what you're referring (that I wrote that is beautiful) but thanks for posting the Stern excerpt. Lovely. I'd seen it (the book) referenced on another thread and had begun reading about him- although nothing by him yet. I need to find time to get to the library.
aidan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
I second the copout sentiment. And you should be ashamed, Mark, of your comments, whether they were made tongue in cheek or not - they are probably among the most offensive words I've ever read on this forum - or on the internet as a whole- especially here - where you talk about the people who are disabled and the people who give birth to people who are disabled:
Quote:
Yes!! We should rid the world of them - Quickly in acid-pools (wheelchairs and all). And those who give birth to them should suffer the same fate!
Kind regards!
Mark...

You don't know who is reading this thread. You have no idea what child with a disability may be reading this or what mother who just gave birth to a child with a disability is reading this.

It's all a big ******* joke to you. What if one of those people read this and didn't make it back to catch the punchline?

You should be ashamed of yourself for even allowing yourself to write these words where anyone can see them and possibly misinterpret your purpose.

You say you have a life? Maybe you should stop for a minute and think - past your own philosophizing.

Kind regards - Rebecca
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
@aidan,
Oh what a joy it must be to never have read Tristram Shandy. A bit like never having had a chocolate ice-cream.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:23 pm
@aidan,
Hi Aidan!

Actually, I would have posted that to hex in a pm, but that ability is no longer available.

I would say that the language used by others here would be classed as 'as offensive to young minds' as were my sarcastic comments to hex.

You should read some of the other threads here and start judging everyone by their words, on whether they are appropriate for public display.

And if you don't read an entire thread, you're bound to take it out of context.

Kind regards!
Mark

mark noble

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
Hi!

You should be ashamed of yourself!
Kids read this, you know!

Mark...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
Maybe I am wrong but you may want to add mark noble as your first following person.
I will repeat myself again [I could be wrong.]
The reason I say this is because either mark is drunk or he is useing a type of psychology to keep the thread rolling as he is normaly a gentleman. I hope that I could be right every once in a while. Mark is this the real you???
thack45

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
@aidan,
I am hesitant to reply here but it looks to me as though much too much is being assumed to let things stand as they are. Forgive me all if I am out of line...
aidan wrote:

I second the copout sentiment.
Mark seems to have a distinct style in threads that he initiates in which he, on the one hand, asks a (seemingly general) question while on the other hand he is looking for a specific answer in order to prove a point that he did not reveal in his OP. With this in mind, and considering that he mentioned in the thread that he did not wish harm upon the disabled, I do not see a "cop out".
Quote:
And you should be ashamed, Mark, of your comments, whether they were made tongue in cheek or not - they are probably among the most offensive words I've ever read on this forum - or on the internet as a whole- especially here - where you talk about the people who are disabled and the people who give birth to people who are disabled:
Quote:
Yes!! We should rid the world of them - Quickly in acid-pools (wheelchairs and all). And those who give birth to them should suffer the same fate!
Kind regards!
Mark...
I can only speculate (which I will not do here) why Mark would find this comment to be helpful to his thread. Though it seems clear to me that it was tounge-in-cheek, it does not appear to be helpful here. And if this comment was made outside of a philisophical context, I would see it as being offensive to some. But philosophy does not concern itself with subjective human emotion...
Quote:
You don't know who is reading this thread. You have no idea what child with a disability may be reading this or what mother who just gave birth to a child with a disability is reading this.

It's all a big ******* joke to you. What if one of those people read this and didn't make it back to catch the punchline?

You should be ashamed of yourself for even allowing yourself to write these words where anyone can see them and possibly misinterpret your purpose.

You say you have a life? Maybe you should stop for a minute and think - past your own philosophizing.

Kind regards - Rebecca
Although there is a much longer and more respecful answer here, this looks like an illogical appeal to pity - the essential part being that an extrapolation of the argument seems to suggest that any subject that is offensive to one can never be mentioned by anyone, anywhere or in any fashion for all of time, lest one be offended.

These are just my observations though. I am not sure that I am right.
mark noble

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
Hi RL!

I am never drunk, my friend. And Both you and Thack are right, as is usually the case with the pair of you.

I do have a certain approach to thread developement, yet it is not rehearsed.

I find a lot of people in the real world are shaken by my poignancy when I first encounter them. Then they learn to go away, think on the subject, return, and see things from a different perspective.

The people I have shaken the most in the past are now typically some of the best friends and colleagues a person could have in life.
They are a lot less societally conditioned also. And they smile a lot, and see the bright side of things, where once they only cast curses at the rain.

I've just realised how awesome I am. WOW! Ha ha...

Have a great evening everyone everywhere!
Mark...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:28 am
@mark noble,
Hi Mark, I am writing to respond to this:
Quote:
And if you don't read an entire thread, you're bound to take it out of context.

I owe you an apology. I did read the entire thread, but in bits and pieces as it evolved, so I forgot about the opening bits in which you stated that you hope no one would agree with the premise of your thread title. I read that part weeks ago and I forgot about it. I'm glad to read that you don't agree with this premise, and I'm sorry I misjudged you due,in part, to my own bad memory.

But on the other hand, I do still stand by what I said. Maybe its just that this subject is too close to me for me to be able to view it objectively, but I do have to ask myself if making such statements, or even opening the subject up to provide a forum for others to make such statements, where people who are dealing with the realities of being different and thought of as 'less than' on a daily basis can now be treated with seeing it spelled out for them, is a viable use of their circumstances.
In other words, that really long sentence is asking, 'Is it moral to use these people and their situations as fodder for discussion? And to what end? Your entertainment and diversion?

Now it sounds like I'm getting 'shirty' again, and I'm not trying to - but this subject does wind me up. Maybe we should start another thread like Rob's where he asks, 'Are there any limits on what can be used as subjects for humor?' or something along those lines.

Are there any limits on what we can use as fodder for 'philosophical' discussions? Because what is just the abstract or hypothetical for you and me is the reality for others.
Should we be encouraged to air our views in our hypothetical and abstractly 'what if' way about something that is deadly serious, painful and all to real for a lot of people - and yes -their mothers?

Do you have any idea what it must be like to be the mother of a disabled child?

I can't distance myself enough from this subject not to get wound up about it, but just as I see your point- can you see my point?
And I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just thinking this through.

Anyway - sorry I forgot what you wrote at the beginning of the thread.
Have a nice day - sorry again for the empty platitude, but I find it funny to fulfill my role as the empty-headed American over here. I like to say it here, because truth is - I'd NEVER say 'Have a nice day' over there - but I'm expected to
Laughing Laughing
Anyway - no hard feelings - Rebecca
aidan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:34 am
@thack45,
Quote:
Although there is a much longer and more respecful answer here, this looks like an illogical appeal to pity - the essential part being that an extrapolation of the argument seems to suggest that any subject that is offensive to one can never be mentioned by anyone, anywhere or in any fashion for all of time, lest one be offended.

It's not pity - it's respect- to me anyway.

Quote:
These are just my observations though. I am not sure that I am right.

I'm not sure that I'm right either. Wow! I think this is a first! Two people on the same thread who can admit they might not be right!

No seriously, I'm asking those questions of myself right now. I'll let you know if I come up with a definitive answer.

Thank you for trying to help me understand Mark's modus operandi more thoroughly and without the rancor or name calling that's usually applied to people who misread something or make a mistake. I do appreciate that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 03:35 am
The big laugh is that farmerman and cicerone the impostor have spent years vehemently promoting the teaching of evolutionary principles in every public school and the removal of Christian teaching from therein.

Right? Now mark noble's piece was obviously ironic just as Swift's "indecent proposal" that the Irish people should eat their babies to alleviate the famine was. It was intended to show anybody who has the slightest sympathy with the idea of the thread title what assholes they are.

In evolution disability is fatal and usually quickly. So farmerman and cicerone are promoting seriously, on a national scale, and against the wishes of a large majority, what mark suggested ironically for the purpose of rubbishing such ideas. And there is evidence that some regimes based in whole or in part on evolutionary principles have indeed culled disabled people or, at best, starved them of resources.

And he also warned disabled people not to overdo the rights we have granted them because the ones who do that, and there are some, spoil things for those disabled people who try to behave like the rest of us. Henry Miller wrote that he sometimes fancied being in a wheelchair with his legs off from war wounds so that he could behave badly with impunity.

So it looks to me that farmerman's indignation is not on behalf of disabled people but only on his own behalf and such subjectivity completely traduces any claims he makes, which he does often, to scientific objectivity. It also demonstrates a lack of a literary sensibility. The materialism he promotes knows no morality, except self interest, and he has been known to recommend punishments for those who have mental disabilities.

mark's acid treatment is the equivalent of Swift providing instructions for recipes ideal for baby cooking.