Should The Disabled Be Sacrificed For The Greater Good Of The Whole?

Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:00 pm
@Fido,
No silly... (are you auztrahlian by chance?)

of course she did the dirty deed. (twice even) i'm here not by proxy...

you go trying to round her up, and see what you get hit upside the head with...

I'll watch curiously.

she's kinda feisty yet.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:11 pm
@mark noble,
The disabled members of a nation may pose an unproportionate financial drain on the population’s finances, but we should not sacrifice (by killing them?) the disabled members of our population for some greater financial good, and the reason is because it’s wrong.
mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:16 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:

The disabled members of a nation may pose an unproportionate financial drain on the population’s finances, but we should not sacrifice (by killing them?) the disabled members of our population for some greater financial good, and the reason is because it’s wrong.

Hi Fast!

Wrong to do it, or wrong to do it for greater financial good?

Mark...
fast

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:28 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

fast wrote:

Hi Fast!

Mark...
Wrong to do it.

Either way it's wrong.
mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:30 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:

mark noble wrote:

fast wrote:

Hi Fast!

Mark...
Wrong to do it.

Either way it's wrong.

Hi Fast!

Legally or morally?

Mark...
fast

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:32 pm
@mark noble,
Morally
mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:35 pm
@fast,
Hi Fast!

By whose standards?

Mark...
fast

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:41 pm
@mark noble,
Mine. My judgment is not without flaw, but I trust my judgment.
mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
@fast,
Hi Fast!

Oh. Hitler, the aztecs and Moses would seem to disagree though.

Mark...
fast

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
@mark noble,
So, how would you answer your own question?
mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:54 pm
@fast,
Hi Fast!

I would say it was wrong. But, if I were in the arctic with a polar bear on my tail, I would have no qualms about kicking you in the testicles and legging it.

Mark...
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 02:12 pm
@EmperorNero,
Nero got mild ! Hi Nero, how mellow did you get ? Nice to see you again !
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 02:17 pm
As I once read that in many religions disabled were not worthy to be sacrificed...
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 02:23 pm
It may have been said already;
We are all disabled in some way or another,
how would should could you either not sacrifice of all of us?
or
How would should could you classify the disability that needs to be sacrificed?
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 12:03 am
@mark noble,
Of course not. We just turn them out on the streets and abandon them and pretend they don't exist and let them die. (At least, that was my understanding back when Reagan emptied the institutions.)

rebecca
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 11:49 am
Only if the negative effects the disabled person causes to the whole added together outpaces by far the negative effects the disabled would suffer from dying, and if no other alternatives to lessening his pain upon others that would have less negative effects on the disabled man exist.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:29 pm
It would be wrong.

It shouldn't ever be OK for us to sacrifice one for everyone else except under the most extreme and dire emergency situation - even then, it's real iffy territory. Almost any scenario that one could come up with to illustrate how it might be a good idea would likely be a fantasy of epic proportions so unlikely as to not have any meaning.

Any collection of people who don't value the life individual over the masses places itself on a road to self-destruction. Why? - Because the individual is the core unit that makes any collection possible.

Its one of the few slippery-slope arguments that I believe holds real weight: That when you start devaluing the individual - subordinating their lives for the whole - at that point anyone could justifiably be placed on the chopping block. At what point do we stop? Those spreading the flu, speeding in traffic or drinking beer; all these can be shown to have potentially adverse effects on "the greater good". Shall we sacrifice them all? Again - where do we stop?

No, that's simply a road we cannot go down, lest we run the risk of placing ALL of our lives into the "disposable" category.

Thanks
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 10:50 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:

We have enough, but we have too many rich with too much money... And don't think nearly every abortion and every choice to not have children does not have something to do with the want of justice, and enough of the common wealth for all... People do not by choice raise children into poverty...
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:22 am
This is really the age old question, "does the end justify the means?". A very controversial topic for a lot of people. Anyways, to answer the question it must first be tapered down to a more precise target. Are we talking permanently disabled or temporary? how temporary? how are they disabled (mentally/physically)? can the still contribute to society? what’s the minimum contribution? To many variables for such a broad question. But then again, that isn’t the question your really asking.
Khethil

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:31 am
@Telamon,
Telamon wrote:
This is really the age old question, "does the end justify the means?".

Yes... quite right. And at what point should we start considering people as "means to an end".

You're also correct on the "it depends" factor, which lead me to think: In this scenario, at what point might we consider someone disabled? I wear glasses, I'm sure that puts a burden on someone.

Thanks