Should The Disabled Be Sacrificed For The Greater Good Of The Whole?

Telamon

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:04 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

Telamon wrote:
This is really the age old question, "does the end justify the means?".

Yes... quite right. And at what point should we start considering people as "means to an end".

You're also correct on the "it depends" factor, which lead me to think: In this scenario, at what point might we consider someone disabled? I wear glasses, I'm sure that puts a burden on someone.

Thanks

It comes down to who is going to make that call? Who has the right to claim? A single leader? A country? A Union of such? Unfortunately, nobody wants to make that choice in the face of whatever long term benefits it could achieve. As it stands now, the world is dying vastly due to over population and excessive squandering of resources. How much longer can man-kind hold off on making this decision? A question I’m afraid to ask, not only because of the “sacrifice” but also its inevitable outcome. Would we make the correct choice, or would the sacrifice be in vain due to one reason or another?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:09 am
@Telamon,
Telamon wrote:

This is really the age old question, "does the end justify the means?". A very controversial topic for a lot of people. Anyways, to answer the question it must first be tapered down to a more precise target. Are we talking permanently disabled or temporary? how temporary? how are they disabled (mentally/physically)? can the still contribute to society? what’s the minimum contribution? To many variables for such a broad question. But then again, that isn’t the question your really asking.

I think the larger question is who shall serve, and who shall be served... It is in the definition of worth, and worthy that all manor of sacrifice for society, and here read the valueable ones of society, - is justified... Look at the Catholic Faith... All that business of service, and the first being last ended up with priests living the good life, and bishops leading the best life, and the church owning a fifth to a third of all Europe... I love philosophy, but philosophy flowered in slave societies... We use sacrifice as a terminal condition, but the fact is that it is chronic...
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:08 am
What do we consider disabled ? Is being illitered being disabled ? Then I might appear disabled to English speaking people ...

How can you be convinced of the opposite ? Would you consider learning Dutch ?
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:51 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Telamon wrote:

This is really the age old question, "does the end justify the means?". A very controversial topic for a lot of people. Anyways, to answer the question it must first be tapered down to a more precise target. Are we talking permanently disabled or temporary? how temporary? how are they disabled (mentally/physically)? can the still contribute to society? what’s the minimum contribution? To many variables for such a broad question. But then again, that isn’t the question your really asking.

I think the larger question is who shall serve, and who shall be served... It is in the definition of worth, and worthy that all manor of sacrifice for society, and here read the valueable ones of society, - is justified... Look at the Catholic Faith... All that business of service, and the first being last ended up with priests living the good life, and bishops leading the best life, and the church owning a fifth to a third of all Europe... I love philosophy, but philosophy flowered in slave societies... We use sacrifice as a terminal condition, but the fact is that it is chronic...

Fido,
I think you might be breaching into more of a control forum. Granted, the question of “who shall serve and shall be served?’ ,I think, must be answered before “does the end justify the means”, at least for such a large scale question as the one originally posted. But really, we have an established order in for example white collar America. The Problem is, as things stand now, the US will never make that decision due to the uproar it would cause nationwide with riots, protest, false claims, etc etc…. Goes to the saying “a person is intelligent, people are idiots.” I could go into the long and drawn out discussion of what will happen and what not, but there really isn’t a point to it. Government is too loose right now, there is too much control given to the mass populace. Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing, but it is without appropriate morals and education established nationwide, which miserably, we are not even close too. And I know, I know, Mark Noble is going to ask “who says, why, how, whatever…, that we aren’t even close to “standards’”. That would fall under Fido’s question of service. But then that brings on the point, elected officials are chosen to serve in office, to serve the people.

Anyways, I’m getting off track and onto a rant down way to many roads at once. Going back to Fido’s question of “service”, the Catholic Faith might not be liked by some (or a lot), but like many others it did bring stability. It brought unification and control, it brought nations together under one banner. And once united as such, then the hard questions can be answered. And with the control and stability, public back-lash will be at a minimum. People don’t like control for some reason or another, they want their privacy and as the late George Carlin said “their privileges”(not Rights). The “greater good”, however people don’t like it, might be one of our last choices to be made before there isn’t a chance to make anymore.
Fido

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:25 pm
@Telamon,
What you miss, is that people who are not paid enough, cannot pay enough in taxes, suffer the want of education and health care, suffer the anxiety of seeing their jobs pack up and depart the country, or go to some part of the country where they must be hunted down and done for less all are sacrificed, and it must be fore the good of the whole because no one is standing up and saying this bushet doesn't work... Our lives are sacrificed, and our disability is that we are receiving rather than dishing out injustice, and that we have a government whose goals are stated plainly which cares nothing for the goal, and yet it says it cares for the constitution... Some body is worried about throwing the sick overboard in society... Me too; but perfectly healthy people are denied their lives every time they are denied the necessities of life and no one cares... Why??? Does some one think they are in a better condition to defend themselves when what they suffer is suffered across the board???
Telamon

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:41 pm
@Fido,
Once again we are speaking to broadly, the “disabled” must be narrowed down to a more precise point before any real arguments can be made. Way to many variables, and I think we are talking up two different trees.
mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:05 am
@Telamon,
Hi Guys!

I will propose a narrowing for you. Those who cannot function in such a way as to be of any use to their society whatsoever.

Thank you, and have a great everything!
Mark...
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 09:38 am
@mark noble,
This would include numerous elderly people...
mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:23 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Most!

(chosen excludee)

mark...
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 01:50 pm
@mark noble,
My Grannie... Twisted Evil
mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 02:21 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Hi Pepijn!

Everybody's grannie - If useless to relative community or society in general.

(Chosen excludee)

Mark...
Fido

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 02:38 pm
@mark noble,
It is not because the disable are human that we do not sacrifice them, but because we are humane...
mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 02:48 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido!

I'm not for killing anyone. I was narrowing the field so the thread would continue.

Kind regards!
Mark...
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 03:31 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

This would include numerous elderly people...

But think of the possibilities. As one of those "elderly people", someone who is now "expendable", I've long been a proponent of a "geriatric army". Why should we waste our brightest and best young people on the battlefield? Send us oldsters out into the fray -- minimum age what, 55? 60? And talk about potential for espionage, who'd suspect a sweet, helpless little old lady?

rebecca
mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 03:35 pm
@melonkali,
Hi Rebecca!

But what if other forces took the same stance! Think of all the dribbling. And how would the respective MOD's fund all the incontinence pants?

Kind regards!
Mark...
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 11:06 pm
@melonkali,
You should have met my mother before they decided she was to old to live at home. She managed pretty well. She was no Mata Hari but got things happening because she was friendly and appeared helpless.

Loved your post on Truth or Kindness thread. The one about telling the truth only if people can react to it. Very clear and very social. I tend to be to truthfull sometimes.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 11:11 pm
@Fido,
What do we consider the Greater Good ? Is Consumer Confidence already part of it ? I would be no longer a disabled person because I can shop with the best. My friend always joked about it. I can breath in-and-out Consumerism... Not thât I care anymore.
Razz
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 12:38 am
Would you argue the same if "The Disabled" was substituted by "U" ?

There is a real change thât at one point in your life you will be in this position...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 01:55 am
Not having read the thread this is my answer: it depends upon how hard up the greater good is. Here in the US we give all kinds of SOPS to the stupid and the deformed, because we have for a long time thought that we were wealthy enough and strong enough to be able to afford to do so. However, if we get into a tight spot then of course the disabled will be thrown under the bus so that the best can live. It does not matter what our moral opinion is, this must and will happen if we as a species desire to continue, and I think that we do...
aidan

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 02:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Holy ****! Next time try to be a little clearer - 'stupid and deformed' huh?

Well okay you can throw me under the bus along with them then because who the hell wants to live among a bunch of selfish, 'perfect' unempathetic motherfuckers who would first of all CALL people stupid and deformed and secondly do away with them so that they can receive MORE of the pie for themselves? Not me.