Perle Admits Invasion was Illegal

pistoff

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:27 pm
War Critics Astonished as US Hawk Admits Invasion was Illegal

by Oliver Burkeman and Julian Borger in Washington

Quote:
International lawyers and anti-war campaigners reacted with astonishment yesterday after the influential Pentagon hawk Richard Perle conceded that the invasion of Iraq had been illegal.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1120-01.htm

Perle goes on to say that he believes that the American people would still have been in favor of the the invasion even if it was announced at the time that it was illegal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 680 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:10 pm
Many of the usual crowd on the far right would support any war.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:13 pm
He is probably right.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:07 am
The question is:

Now that we know it is illegal, what do we do about it?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:21 am
The proper answer? Impeach Bush, indict Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Rice, etc....
What will we do? Nothing. Sad
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 02:11 am
I cannot speak for we.
Personally, the maun thing I do about it post on BBs.

Regarding other things, I vote and sometimes write my representatives. I have recieved letters back from them. Does it do any good? Uh....dunno. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:04 pm
What to do about it? Take the lead from the Brits and hit the streets in organized rallys for impeachment.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 03:35 pm
Hard to imagine.
I strongly suspect that GW and gang will be re-elected. I could list the reasons but I think most here can imagine them. What I cannot imagime is what 4 1/2 more years of this Oligarchy will do to Amerika and the planet.

It may lead to a great upheaval with armed insurrections of groups that have weapons. The Patriots, Aryian Nations, Black Muslims, Far Leftist groups and others. Many groups have been fairly silent for several years and there have been scant reporting in any media. Perhaps the kettle is boiling slowly.

What other groups are there?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:22 pm
Some elderly are churning and some us may become them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 04:34 am
Most Americans still believe that the Iraq war, toppling Saddam and the occupation are a legitimate response to the terrorism that was perpetrated on 9/11 against the U.S. of A., and Bush and the Republicans are still harping about the "one vial, one canister, one crate slipped into this country to bring a day of horror like none we have ever known," and using it as a pretext for "attacking the terrorists" and not to retreat, and put the national security "in the hands of others," and to call Congress to "tell them to support the President's policy of pre-emptive self-defense" because terrorists and tyrants don't "announce their intentions, politely telling us their intentions before they strike."

What crate, or canister or vial of a day's worth of previously unknown horror has been found anywhere the U.S. of A. has pre-emptively struck? Surely not Iraq. Nothing has been found there save a vile of ten year old anthrax. How is the Iraq war and occupation relevant to the U.S. of A's pre-emptive self-defense as regards a crate, or canister or vial of a day's worth of previously unknown horror, if none have been found? The tyrant had nothing not to tell us his intentions to strike.

The "war against terror" which Bush alleges "is a contest of will in which perseverance is power" in Iraq has revealed itself to be a contest of pig headed imperialist powers looking to control another country for geopolitical advantage and its resources, and an Iraqi populace that is leery of the occupier's intentions and is increasingly opposed to the imperialist presence.

Bush will most likely be re-elected in '04 because Americans by and large support Bush's pre-emptive self-defense in Iraq and the rest of the world.
0 Replies