Grown up say the darnest things.

chai2

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:23 pm
I was just watching a youtube video of art linkletter and a kids say the darnest things show.

he was asking a little girl what she thought made a good husband.

She said that if he made a lot of money and gave her all the things she wanted and let her have 20 kids, etc. etc.

Then Art asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, and she responded, "A nun".

I remember when I was in third grade, the nun was talking to the girls about when we grew up. I so clearly remember her saying "Now, most of you will grow up to be mothers....."

I totally blanked out after that.
I remember thinking "Oh no! Why do I have to probably be part of 'most of us' and have babies!!!???"

While I'm sure it's true that most of the girls in that class did end up having children, and what was said was a happy thought, for me it felt like a death knell. Besides the fact, looking back, it's kinda weird a nun talking to you about motherhood.

Of course I ended up not having kids, through my own planning, but that's not what this thread is about.

Was there anything a grownup said to you as a child, that made a lasting impression, like "this is the way things are going to be" when that was definately NOT the way you wanted it to be.

Did it end up being that way?
Regrets that it did?
Regrets that it didn't?
Did you purposefully take another track?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 812 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
@chai2,
I'll be baaaaaaaaak.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm
Er, I thought that was a post for I'll be back.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:06 pm
My parents, even though very strange parents, always told us we could be whatever we wanted to be and do whatever we wanted to do (in a good way, of course, not like rob a bank). Given that the family consisted of 7 daughters, that was pretty different in those days. And I always believed it and, of course, still do.

On the negative side, somebody told my mother I was pretty in my presence, and my mother immediately responded, "Pretty little girls always grow up to be ugly"... of course I know that's not true, but it did stick with me for years. Not nice at all.
0 Replies