Burn Down The Malls

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:02 pm
or at least a few police cars

is it time the world leaders just fucked off back to their own countries and teleconferenced the G8/G20 meetings (and any other stupid world gatherings)

it's ridiculous that countries spend millions in security, so that some scumbag politicians can swan around and pretend they care about folks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,240 • Replies: 13
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:37 pm
Sarkozy apparently said he will do the security better and cheaper (1/10th the cost) when the next meeting is held in the Riviera

ummm, aren't the French the folks who riot when the prices of turnips go up

bonne chance Mr. Sarkozy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00728/g20-protest-45_j_728181gm-a.jpg

Slideshow
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:55 pm
@djjd62,
I saw that Toronto is running about a billion in security. That's Billion.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:59 pm
@roger,

yeah, the blue jays are being forced to play a "home" series in philadelphia this weekend...
that ain't right!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:48 pm
In today's WSJ, O'Grady did what I thought was a really nice column on Canada's Finance Minister, Jim Flaherty. Disclaimer: she, he, and I are relatively conservative on business and finance.
Mame

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:00 pm
@roger,
what was said?
roger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:22 pm
@Mame,
Oh, my lord. It was a 5 column report.

Banks are stable. They make and hold mortgages. They do not bundle and securitize them, and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation is not a government sponsored enterprise. It is a government agency. Lenders have recourse to borrowers. They may walk away from the home, but they do not walk away from the loan. Mortgage interest is not tax deductable, discouraging the investment component of home ownership, yet Canadian home ownership is about the same as in the US.

Some members of G-20 want to kick in on an international bank tax. Flaherty is oppposed and point out that this is favored by nations that put taxpayer money into their financial institutions, and those that did not. Canada did not.

Mame

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 11:42 pm
@roger,
Thank you, I think I'll have to google it. What did you think of him and his opinions?
roger

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:43 am
@Mame,
Sorry, It's Mary Anastasia O'Grady. She usually does the Americas column, and I don't recall any important disagreements between her an I. Okay, she's a little soft on illegal immigration, but so are lots of people.

This is probably all you'll come up with. They don't give much away, and I only subscribe to the hard copy. The last time they offered online subscriptions at discount, the agreement included my willlingness to renew. They didn't enforce it, but it's still not the kind of terms I appreciate.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704911704575327140759374532.html
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:34 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
it's ridiculous that countries spend millions in security, so that some scumbag politicians can swan around and pretend they care about folks

... it's all under the heading of " public relations " and to give canada " world status " .
i can just see the influx of tourists wanting to see downtown toronto .

the grinning face of p.m. harper welcoming other heads of state just got a little too much .

had to laugh see them shuffled off quickly as others come up to be greeted by the p.m. and his wife - it looked like some were hustled off the stage quickly .
all that was missing was the " hook " used to get amateur performers off stage ( in the vaudeville shows ) ..
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:40 am
@hamburgboy,
i'm not above heads of state visiting, but i think conferences like this cause more disruption to host cities than they do good, every time we see them there are protests and damage, they should build something like Superman's fortress of solitude in the Arctic, the G8/G20 countries pay for it's upkeep
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@djjd62,
our office is going to be closed again tomorrow

thursday, friday, monday

total pain in the ass
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 05:07 am
@djjd62,
Oh, my. Been watching, Canada.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100628/ap_on_bi_ge/world_summit