Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:32 pm
@DrewDad,
Sure . . . and i've pointed out that i've got a good memory.

As i've already pointed out, my grudge arises from the jerk's recent comment to the effect that any time he sees me post something he doesn't like, he's going to come after me.

This is reminiscent of the thread in which i commented to RG about the prevailing IT attitude that the customer is always wrong, and you jumped in to ask why i was attacking you.

Believe it or don't, Bubba, not everything is about you.
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:47 pm
@Setanta,
I am not responsible if you consider yourself to be a member of the "acting like a chickenshit" brigade.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Thank you for a perfect example of your snide hypocrisy when the topic is your obsessional opposition
to any form of gun control. I see your cordiality and courtesy didn't last long there.
MORE LIES from Setanta: several months ago, we discussed the HELLER decision,
and its place in American history, at some considerable length, over a few days,
without significant failures of decorum, by either of us.

Let me be clear on one point:
U are 100% correct and accurate in your remark
qua my obsessional opposition to any form of gun control. I accept your observation as hi praise,
reminiscent of the Spirit of Churchill's June 1940 speech promising to fight the nazis wherever thay were found.
To counter-parafrase Will Rogers (indirectly): I never met any gun control that I failed to reject.










Setanta wrote:
Neither of your claims about lies are in fact true.
You used that verbal figure on me,
I ratify, re-iterate, n re-affirm it.
Have u ever denied it?





Setanta wrote:
and you recently used a form of it on Parados.
No; not recently.

Please note that it is not among my intentions
to discontinue use of it in such instances as are appropriate.



Setanta wrote:
Saying these are lies doesn't alter the fact that this is exactly what you did.

And, your self-preening opinions notwithstanding,
your cordiality and courtesy are a very, very thin veneer.
Depending upon my mood of the moment, that may be true,
about the veneer, but I usually make a successfull effort at politeness.
U have no veneer of decency at all, as a general rule.
In fairness, there actually HAVE been a few exceptions to your usual vituperations,
when u acted decently.





David
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:15 pm
Must be the heat
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  3  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@Setanta,
I remember that ILZ exchange but that is simply not where any of this started (again, you pull these year-old narratives about why you are attacking people out of your ass, this is ridiculous and has nothing at all to do with what you did in this thread), you did not have any such grudge against me after that Setanta. The grudge is recent, post-phpBB. The reasons you post this thread do not go back to ILZ, they go to the removal of the rule that prohibited me from calling you a jackass and my subsequent lack of compunction in doing so when you have an outburst like this one.

Setanta wrote:
However, i suspect that by dint of enough effort, i would be able to find the relatively recent post in which you said that any time i posted something you don't like, you were going to attack me.


Go for it. I'm curious about what exactly it was I said that you turned into "any time i posted something you don't like, you were going to attack me."

Quote:
So, you have a choice. You could lay off, and so will i, because i really don't bear grudges.


Make up your mind (about whether you are a grudge bearer or not, you come up with these years-old stories with revisionist narrative all the time), I don't follow you around looking for things to attack, I don't start threads out of the blue about you to attack you and I don't have any particular truce to make with you because I don't have that year-old grudge that you claim to.

If I see something I disagree with I will comment on it if I wish to (and don't turn this into a "he said he'd attack me if I said anything he didn't like" in 6 years either when explaining away another random outburst of yours, that is exactly what I mean about revisionist narrative).

Quote:
So don't call me a liar, and don't say i make things up, because these are not lies, and with enough effort, i can demonstrate the fact.


You already said you could do it above, so do it instead of threatening to. I think you are distorting what you claim I said, so let's see what you have got.

Here is your claim, prove this "fact":

Quote:
you said that any time i posted something you don't like, you were going to attack me.
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  2  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Keep in mind that you made sneers about my claim regarding the remark made to Brooke--but i've just demonstrated that it happened, and happened essentially as i've described it.


I made "sneers" about this having anything to do with the grudges that you can't make up your mind about holding or not. I don't remember any grudge with you back then at all and it was one of many many disputes we had over many many years that was like water under the bridge for you.

I think your grudge has much more recent vintage, that is the essence of my "sneer" about your grudge yarn. It's just plain bullshit that this all started with ILZ. It started when the rules no longer prohibited me from using the language you use with others and when I started calling you a jackass.

This is probably what you refer to when you claim I'd "attack" you for whatever you said that I didn't "like." I told you that moderation policy is such that it was up to the community to speak out against and that when I saw you being a forum bully I was going to speak out about it more (I do that more all around too, and get to call people names even every now and then). That is a big difference, however, from your claim about attacking you for whatever you say that I might not like.

You say plenty of nonsensical things I don't "like". I criticize (i.e. "attack") you when you are boorish, mainly.

Quote:
Now bring on some more straw men--that's your strong suit.


What straw men? It's customary to identify one before talking about "more."
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  2  
Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:04 pm
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6404/popcornq.gif
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:57 am
@Ticomaya,
Is that popcorn air popped, Tico?
failures art
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:14 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Is that popcorn air popped, Tico?

He just tilts the computer screen back and holds the kettle over one of Setanta's posts. It's important not to walk away, otherwise it will burn.

A
R
T
Intrepid
 
  3  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 05:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It was the hot breath on my neck that got on my last nerve . . .


I would never get that close. Believe me. Razz
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
No, Robert the Craven, i don't bring up old stories all the time, so that's another example of your addiction to straw men. I have already identified at least one, your bogus claim that i once claimed to be an expert in French, and i identified that thread and posted links to the quotes. There was nothing revisionist involved, i provided links to the posts to which i referred.

Once again, as long as you have your attack dog attitude, you'll be served in like kind. You made a snotty remark to that little **** Noble about not rising to the bait, so i decided to show how easily one can make you rise to the bait. Child's play, really.
Setanta
 
  -2  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:35 pm
@failures art,
Couldn't resist taking the cheap shot, could you FART? I haven't responded to or commented on any of your posts for months, FART, you little **** hook, but if you want to get nasty, believe me, i can accommodate you. The only difficult thing about responding to you is that usually you make so little sense it's difficult to know where to start, like that drivel you posted in Kay's thread about atheists--it was embarrassing to the rest of us who are atheists and can explain it.

It's entirely your call--if you want war, you can have it.
Robert Gentel
 
  3  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No, Robert the Craven, i don't bring up old stories all the time, so that's another example of your addiction to straw men.


Even if we assume you are right about not dredging up old stories to use as a pretext for grudges you can't decide whether you have that still isn't an example of a straw man. Maybe you need a refresher:

A straw man is when someone refutes an argument that you did not make rather than the one you did, not when they make a claim about you that you disagree with.

Quote:
There was nothing revisionist involved, i provided links to the posts to which i referred.


I made clear what revisionism I accuse you of: the nonsensical claim that you have a grudge (maybe, maybe not, depends on whether this is a day you claim you hold grudges or not) because of the ILZ exchange.

And "provid[ing] links" doesn't really make that case either. Like I said, your grudge story is bullshit. Your problem with me is of more recent vintage, when I stopped refraining from using the language you use with others with you.

Quote:
Once again, as long as you have your attack dog attitude, you'll be served in like kind.


You have such delusional self-image. Didn't you notice that it's you who starts threads to attack me? I don't have any "attack dog" attitude with you, I'm just calling you a jackass when you are a jackass and I can't be faulted for how frequent that is.

Quote:
You made a snotty remark to that little **** Noble about not rising to the bait, so i decided to show how easily one can make you rise to the bait. Child's play, really.


It is really.

Make up your mind about your backstory though, you already came up with your justifications and backstory for this one when you said it was about that whole selfless concern for others due to site changes, then you added the ILZ grudge/not grudge and now you have a whole new backstory for your outburst.

Which is it? Which story explains this particular emotional outburst again? Personally, I think you are a jackass-first, make backstories later kind of guy who makes his own indignation righteous, but I think it works better if you only stick to one purported cause to grant nobility to your douchebaggery and not switch between multiple purported reasons for your outbursts.
Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't need instruction from you about what constitutes a straw man, especially given that you have not correctly defined it. From the Nizkor Project:

Quote:
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.


I specifically stated the basis for my grudge, and you have misrepresented that with your fallacious claim that i bring up old matters all the time. You continue the process with your claim that i can't make up my mind about the basis for my grudge. I've consistently stated my basis. The ILZ incident was simply evidence that you've done this sort of thing for years now--it was not offered nor ever characterized by me as the basis for a grudge. That's simply a distortion made up by you and your toad-eater, DD. At no time did i offer the ILZ incident as the basis for a grudge--just an example of how you've been doing this sort of **** for years.

Yeah, Bubba, really . . . if you didn't rise to the bait as easily as Noble, you'd never have taken any notice of this thread.
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, Bubba, really . . . if you didn't rise to the bait as easily as Noble, you'd never have taken any notice of this thread.


What happened to the selfless concern for others backstory? Make up your mind, you already made up a story for this outburst and didn't need another.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:09 pm
Here's another straw man. At no time have i characterized myself as displaying a "selfless concern for others." You're so easy.
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:16 pm
@Setanta,
You still don't understand what a straw man fallacy is. In the definition you cite "position" refers to an argument someone makes. When I merely characterize you in ways you dislike, or disagree about the genesis of the grudge you can't decide if you are the type to carry that does not mean I am making a straw man, it merely means I am saying something about you that you do not agree with.

Earlier you talked about how you are irritated on behalf of others about site changes, calling it "selfless" is sarcastic derision on my part, not a straw man fallacy.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Couldn't resist taking the cheap shot, could you FART? I haven't responded to or commented on any of your posts for months, FART, you little **** hook, but if you want to get nasty, believe me, i can accommodate you. The only difficult thing about responding to you is that usually you make so little sense it's difficult to know where to start, like that drivel you posted in Kay's thread about atheists--it was embarrassing to the rest of us who are atheists and can explain it.

It's entirely your call--if you want war, you can have it.



It appears to me as a call belonging to both of you, not one.
Intrepid
 
  6  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

At no time have i characterized myself as displaying a "selfless concern for others."


Now, this I have to agree with.


Cool
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:45 pm
@Intrepid,
Setanta wrote:
At no time have i characterized myself as displaying a "selfless concern for others."
Intrepid wrote:
Now, this I have to agree with.


Cool
I 'm equally innocent of this !





David
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL - Question by Setanta
 
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/29/2023 at 06:41:27