Are we living in the last age of human evolution?

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:23 am
Are we living at the end of time as far as Homo Sapient is concerned?

urangutan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:25 pm
I do not deny evolution, in fact I relish in its beauty, simplicity and the life it has on offer but neither the thoery of evolution, nor the belief that it is self evident, affirms that life exists.
0 Replies

ABYA

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

[/quote
Hi Alan
I don't believe so.
The last stage of human evolution is the desire for spirituality.
Desires evolve and after we've done with our desires for power, for wealth and for knowledge, comes the desire for spirituality, Its right at the tip of mankinds desires. the result of reaching spirituality, will be humanity living in peace and harmony.
When enough people have reached this desire, humanity will reach a tipping point and all of mankind will lean towards unity.
We can either strive for unity now, while we still have the chance, or, carry on as we are for a while until we blow each other up, in which case there will still be pockets of civilisation who will have learnt lessons, and this will be the start of a new order of society, where unity is the rule.
Either way, we are going to attain unity, and its not too late for us to reach it by our own volition.
There is no need for anyone to give up thier religious or non- religious beliefs, these are just psychological supports and if they make a person feel good, then thats great. But, if we all put love of our fellow man as our number one aim, we will unite and bring about peace and harmony as a new order of civilisation. But its a race against time.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 01:23 am
I believe that you are looking at human evolution from a spiritual or metaphysical take

The humans anatomy has remained unchanged for the passed hundred thousand years or so,

Will the human physical form alter under the strain of huge evolutionary pressure brought about the advances in science?

Man driving his own evolution so to speak, Large heads, tiny legs huge brain and eyes etc
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 02:04 am
we are always in the last stage of human evolution, future stages don't yet exist.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 02:10 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

Are you asking if evolution has stopped for humans because we have so much control (or so we like to believe) over our environment and have thereby stopped the effects of natural selection?

Or are you asking if we are about to wipe ourselves out?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:25 am
Quote:
Are you asking if evolution has stopped for humans because we have so much control (or so we like to believe) over our environment and have thereby stopped the effects of natural selection?

Or are you asking if we are about to wipe ourselves out?

No I am not suggesting we might wipe ourselves out, but where and what will humans look like in another million years of evolution, especially self driven evolution

We humans now live much outside the pressures of evolution, think about the enormous strides we have made to control our own health, the huge influx's of easily accessed information through the ever growing INTERNET. We life not only in a planetary village but in a planetary house.

We have already created synthetic life in the labs, cloning ourselves in now possible and I think this has already been done in the secretive sience
labs
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

Well, we have been here for some time and all species have a bit of a sell-by-date. But, I suspect that our human race may have some way left to run.

What is of much more immediate concern, however, is that all the evidence is suggesting that we may have hit the peak of human civilisation and that from now on in, the only way is down.

Well, I say "down". One might concievably construct an argument that complex civilisation was always a monumental mistake on the part of humans in that it was never sustainable. All that is happening now is that we are going to have to get to learn to live within our means again as a species. It might, in the longer run, be for the best in terms of the sum of all human happiness.

I'll be sorry to see the end of complex civilisation, though. I'm rather fond of it, despite all of its horrors. It's looking ever more likely, though, that the first act of this decades-long emergency will be well under way even in my lifetime.

For my grandkids, I'm certain they will be living in a transformed world.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:40 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

I believe we are entering the age of artificial evolution in which Mans ability to modify himself will out-pace nature's ability to modify us, to such a degree that any natural evolution will seem inconsequential in comparison.

We went through a brief period of artificial selection in which all sorts of domesticated life forms (plant and animal) were developed in a relatively short period of time (thousands of years). But the next stage of things is going to be direct genetic tinkering (artificial evolution).

Then at some point down the line our machines are going to reach a computational Singularity, and everything will change.
0 Replies