New Topic Grids

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:53 am
As I'm sure you've noticed, we have pushed a new topic grids live, with support for read tracking and forum filtering. We think we have all the kinks worked out, so let us know if you have an problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 7,193 • Replies: 91

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:55 am
@Nick Ashley,
Oh I'm sure there are more kinks! Let us know about them here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:56 am
@Nick Ashley,
Any chance of that in English so I know what you want us to look for?

I see some differences and all...
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 01:00 am
@dlowan,
Topic grids = pages that list topics (like new posts, new topics).

We added two key changes to them (other than visual ones):

1) Read tracking. Topics with replies since you last logged out, and since you last read them are marked "new" and if you click on that it will take you to the first unread post.

The new posts page and the new topics page both place these at the top of the list now, so if you read a topic it goes below the unread topics.

2) Forum filtering. This we are still tweaking, but the basics are that the "My Forums" on the home page are automatically added based on your activity, but you can add/remove them (on the forum page itself).

Then the new topics and new posts lists can be filtered to only topics from these forums (so if you want it just about philosophy you can make it that way, if you don't want word games, you can make it that way).

The presentation of this part is still a bit rough, so is the new topic item layout (with the columns) so let us know what you think of that.
dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 01:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
The presentation of this part is still a bit rough, so is the new topic item layout (with the columns) so let us know what you think of that.

Well, at present, because it is new it is triggering a slight alarm signal, and my brain is groaning about having to learn the new stuff and get it into muscle memory, I'll hold off on commenting until the alarm stops!

The "new" is good.

I am glad the New Posts has more than one page again...I found it daunting for the bit of time when it was just the NEW new posts.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 01:38 am
tag search boxes back on all of the main pages.......very cool.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 01:47 am
@hawkeye10,
The results of the tag search are ordered by popularity..... just saying.

(you have a popularity rant in you, I know you do, c'mon...)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 03:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

....2) Forum filtering. This we are still tweaking, but the basics are that the "My Forums" on the home page are automatically added based on your activity, but you can add/remove them (on the forum page itself).

Then the new topics and new posts lists can be filtered to only topics from these forums (so if you want it just about philosophy you can make it that way, if you don't want word games, you can make it that way).

I take it that the New Posts page shows my tags on the right (called My Forums but it's the same thing). Interesting -- I've tagged a boatload of Lovatts topics but voted many of them down to clear them. And, to my joy, they are not at the top of My Forums -- diet kinds of stuff is.

Thank you.

I had Top and End buttons while I was replying to your post. Then they disappeared after I submitted. I am using IE7 on a Win7 machine.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:03 am

digesting new format...
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:14 am
@Region Philbis,

didn't look everywhere, but i seem to have Top & New buttons now.
like jes, didn't have them when i 1st logged in -- except on the Reply page...

what i find troubling is my reply does not show up in New Posts...
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:15 am
@Region Philbis,
The filter buttons aren't very clear right now (will change) but you are only looking at topics from your forums (added automatically by your activity, but you can manually add/remove from the forum page). If you click "all forums" on that grid it will show all.

With the filter on, you'd be surprised at how many of the topics that annoy you that you will no longer see, and you can train it to be smarter (by adding/removing forums or by just participating and it will adapt to what you like and don't like).

Edit: also, unread topics come before all, and this is actually probably the issue, not my forums filtering. Once you read a topic, it goes below the unread ones.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Once you read a topic, it goes below the unread ones.
ok, just found the "The topics below have not received a reply since you logged out or read the topic." demarcation... phew!
0 Replies

AllenMass

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:27 am
@Nick Ashley,
Thanks for good guidelines for new post.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:31 am
@AllenMass,
Whatever happened to the "Tutorials page"? Im still trying to learn how to substitute an actual subject title to act as a hyperlink. In the old format there was a banner at the top of the page.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:57 am

there are times when Top & End buttons are at the very bottom of a page --

....... http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/483/topenda.jpg
sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:34 am
@Nick Ashley,
Read tracking! Finally!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:09 am
is there a usefulness to this sort of effect?

1. Food
Food And Drink, Recipes, Cooking...

7. Food And Drink
Recipes, Food, Beverages...

19. Cooking
Food, Food And Drink, Recipes...

22. Recipes
Food And Drink, Food, Cooking...

or could I go in and pick only food and drink to keep as a forum?

Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:43 am
@Region Philbis,
I did find that on topic pages while logged in, there was some invalid markup being sent to the browser, which would prevent the top/end links from appearing correctly in some versions of Internet Explorer. In my experience it also shifted the entire site so it was shifted to the left side of screen (instead of centered).

This issue has been fixed, so hopefully you should see top/end links working correctly now.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
@ehBeth,
I would leave them on auto, and let them manage themselves unless you explicitly want or do not want a particular forum, then I'd add or remove that one.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:55 am
After trying this out, I think it is fine. Quick access to the newest posts and still able to get at whatever else I wish to view.
0 Replies