New Topic Grids

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Food and Drink was the old forum name from before the 2008 a2k changes, thus is on all the old food questions. I haven't tagged any of my food threads Food and Drink since then. I'll tag them (possibly) food, recipes, vegetables, carrots instead. So, I'm not sure, but if you filter all but Food and Drink, you might miss some new threads by people who don't use that full F & D tag.

My tagging has gotten more specific, and I think I've been skipping even the Food tag lately.

Robert -
On the changes, so far I like them just fine.

Still have 3 more pages to read on this thread and may find something I don't understand. Just looking around, though - no problem.
roger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm wondering how it will all work out. There just might (well maybe) be a whole rash of 'carrot' threads. If I ever figure how to eliminate the Carrot Forum, I'll probably miss something important that someone tagges as 'carrots'. Just kind of mentally doodling, here. There's bound to be something I'm not going to like.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:34 pm
@roger,
Also - to Robert and Nick:

We had, back then, a few? other categories that added two things together - art and photography, for example. I tend to think of photography as art, but I see why that was chosen in the first place, to help people know what of the old group of forums to post in. Now I just use the more specific term, photography, and then might mention particular people, or exhibit, whatever.

On the whole filter thing, I'm probably only going want to filter Lovatts and riddles, and probably a few more categories that I'm confident I won't want to read, until that sunny day in the future when I suddenly become interested. (It's conceivable, as I used to do the NYT xword puzzle religiously.) Am I clear that you cannot look at All Topics and just filter a few specific categories? (I'd better reread the thread..) It looks like I should then pick My Topics, and add back those I might want to see that had been cut/demoted because of my thumbing history.

On matters like religion, philosophy, politics, I do a lot of thumbing, and I'll have to figure out, as filtering methods develop, how I might filter, my interest having more to do with level of argument or debate than the category itself. I'll stick to the thumbs business on those for now.

I'll play with all this for a bunch of weeks, and report back re any difficulties. I may end up not filtering.

I'll also have to play with the tracking thing some more to see what best fits my needs. Will be glad to have an alternative; even if I don't use the alternative, I see the need for others.
Robert, is there any way to keep the posts in the regular old chronological order and just have the NEW show up as it is now?

By the way, I'm delighted to see Nick posting again (and as always, thanks for your work).
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:38 pm
@roger,
Ah, but someone searching on google on how to cook a carrot might find a Carrot Forum..
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Robert, is there any way to keep the posts in the regular old chronological order and just have the NEW show up as it is now?

This feature is ready, but not yet exposed. So in short not but soon yes.
Izzie

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's weird really, when you use the forum and then things change and folk say they have specific issues about filtering and such like - i wonder if i am using it correctly - everything seems almost the same to me just laid out a little differently, tho I really like the read "NEW" bit... perhaps I use it completely differently - all seems fairly easy so far, but I'm learning stuff as I read here. I use New topics and my tags on all forums... rarely use new topics.

<still missing my PM's and more have dropped off - that's the only thing that's a problem for me... Sad > nem'mind

well done the overlords - tho I did like the hamsters revolt... nice touch that Smile

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Great!

Adds, I'm not finding any problem with seeing where the thread I just posted in, or read, goes.
Yet.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I've heard little about the move from "paragraphical" topic listings to more "tabular" ones (basically how details are in columns). This was actually just done as an afterthought addition to our grid work and isn't very polished but I'd be interested in knowing if members prefer this kind of direction with the topic grid (towards columns basically).
me like.
it allows for more posts and topics per page...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think I'm seeing that.. and happy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Seems like this is already happening. I'm ok on it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Yes, on each forum page (right now under the header) there are links to add/remove the forum. Forums are also automatically added/removed based on voting history.

So you can go to a forum you don't want to see anymore, and remove it or go to a forum you want to see and add it. Then with the filter running you'll see more of what you do want and less of what you don't. But it needs some pretty big tweaks right now to be more useful than it is.

wow, that's great!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:48 pm
@Mame,
Long live the king!! Long live the forum filter!!
JTT

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:50 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Any chance of that in English

Any chance of that in computerese? Smile

I know you guys are busy, but I'd like to know, just for interest's sake, when you have time, if what you are doing requires you to write hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands of lines of commands? Is that how it's all still done? How many man hours, man days, just ballpark, does something like this take?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'm not sure how the filtering is working...

I vote down all of the Lovatt's and other crossword threads and anything tagged as a riddle or word game, but when I flip between filter noise and all topics it looks like more than that are being filtered, such as Set's "This place sucks" thread. I may ultimately decide to vote that thread done once I've read it or, more likely, just let it fall into my mental scroll list. I think the best way for me to proceed is to use all topics and continue to vote down those in the above categories, yes?
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:10 am
@JPB,
Id like to see more abilities in photos first.

As far as graffiti tags and voting down. Its really not that important or annoying. Id rather you dont lose "ignore" for those that need to be ignored.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ok -- what's a forum page?

I realize this is a JPBism in that I use A2K the old way (sort by post order). The only real modification I made in my usage patterns in the switch to the new format was voting down the few topics I don't read and know for certain that I'll never be interested in reading in the future.

Now the new posts list is separated by whether I've read it or not (I can live with that), but I don't think I've voted up more than one or two topics since the change other than by posting on them. I also don't tag or use tags in any way other than to occasionally find music threads.

I'd just as soon use filtered lists but I need to know what's being filtered out in order to visit those forums and add them back in.
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:22 am
@JPB,
I've actually Removed forum pages (like Riddles, Games, etc) but those topics still keep appearing (sigh). I think maybe it'll work better down the road.

You just click on the tag (Riddles) where it says "Forum" under the topic line. You are taken to a new screen: Riddles Forum. Underneath that, you have Add Forum | Remove Forum. Click on the one you want and supposedly you will never see Riddle posts again. But, as I say, it isn't working well yet.
JPB

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:24 am
@Mame,
probably because you and I need set the topic toggle to all topics instead of filtered topics. Your removing topics isn't removing topics because you're viewing all topics in order to not have too many things removed (me too).
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 09:28 am
@JPB,
Your last sentence made me laugh! Yes, I am on All Topics - I'm going to change it and see what happens.

Edit: Yeah, when I click on Filter Noise, it eliminates a whole bunch of threads - most, in fact. And I know for a fact I didn't Remove those Forum Pages.

Like I said, I think this will work better down the road. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with All Topics.