If you could be God...?

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:55 pm
Would you want to be? If you could control all matter in the universe or create another one entirely, would you want to (do any of it )?

Or more realistically, would you want to live on an isolated planet for the soul purpose of experiencing as much pleasure, satisfaction, or happiness as possible, with unlimited resources?

Then, if you didn't want to be alone, who would you want to take with you, or would you take an aggregate of good personality traits and build them into one being?

Is human happiness on earth an illusion, or can we manufacture it from the mess and entangled web of lies? Would, or should we even want to?

All this to say, let's build a time machine and sit in it for a while.

Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,519 • Replies: 54
No top replies

A Lyn Fei

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:31 am
@Homomorph,
Yes and yes and yes.

And happiness is real. Everything that impairs happiness is the illusion. But, a strong one it is.
Homomorph

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 02:09 am
@A Lyn Fei,
Hi A Lyn Fei, thanks for the response. You seem to be an interesting person too. Smile

0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:22 am
If I could be God, I wouldn't be me.
If I could be me, I wouldn't be God.
If I couldn't be God, I would be me.
If I couldn't be me, I would be God.

But basically;
if I were God, I wouldn't be.
which may also mean;
if I were me, I wouldn't be, either.

But to clarify and befuddle a little more;
If I were God, I wouldn't be God,
If I were me, I wouldn't be me.

Total disclosure,
If I were God, I would choose not to be.
better;
If I were God Almighty, I would choose to be not Almighty.
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 04:44 am
@Homomorph,
I am god...I am just not god of everything... The key to freedom is to recognize your own power so you can use it wthout misuse... I think I am there...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:34 pm
Hi Homomorph,

I, Like Fido, am God also - In the same way as are you and A Lyn, and everyone and everything. We are just in different places, that's all.

Have a great day homomorph.
Mark...
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:46 pm
@Homomorph,
Homomorph wrote:

Quote:
Would you want to be?

assuming I was mature enough

Quote:
If you could control all matter in the universe or create another one entirely, would you want to (do any of it )?

not yet

Quote:
Or more realistically, would you want to live on an isolated planet for the soul purpose of experiencing as much pleasure, satisfaction, or happiness as possible, with unlimited resources?

planet would not be enough

Quote:
Then, if you didn't want to be alone, who would you want to take with you, or would you take an aggregate of good personality traits and build them into one being?

my best friend , my wife

and good people

Quote:
Is human happiness on earth an illusion, or can we manufacture it from the mess and entangled web of lies? Would, or should we even want to?

lies always lead to mistrust , in the end , hence unhappiness

Quote:

for a good while

0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:59 pm
The idea is so powerful I cannot comprehend it, and thus I cannot say.

Could I produce dopamine to create limitless amounts of happiness? Does dopamine affect me at all? ARRGH
Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:34 pm
@Homomorph,
Homomorph wrote:

Would you want to be? If you could control all matter in the universe or create another one entirely, would you want to (do any of it )?

Smile

I would not want to be god, it would be the most incredibly boring existence ever. I know most people wouldn't follow that line of reasoning but it's because they have never actually thought it out. The reason it would be boring is because there is absolutely no challenge, even if you tried to create a challenge you could easy over come it. The reason life is interesting is because we can't just always have what we want, when we want it and how often we want it. There is a chance of failure, or loss and that makes it interesting. When you succeed it becomes more than success because you have over come some kind of adversity no matter how small or insignificant.

A god can't do that, it just always wins, always succeeds and never fails. You could try to argue that it doesn't need those things, but I object, without them if you always had everything you ever wanted to succeed, you would lose interest in it very quickly. The value of things would diminish very fast. There is absolutely no way you could place some kind of limitation on yourself to artificially create a chance of failure, because you could just over ride it at any moment.

You would never be able to entertain yourself because you would already know what was about to happen. You would have seen it a trillion times before so there is nothing that would surprise you. To put it in the best terms, to be a god would be utter hell.
north

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:36 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

The idea is so powerful I cannot comprehend it, and thus I cannot say.

Could I produce dopamine to create limitless amounts of happiness? Does dopamine affect me at all? ARRGH

the thing is though , have you thought it through enough to understand the ramifications of creating limitless amounts of dopamine ?

a god would or should
Homomorph

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:24 am
I agree (with everyone). I think we can at least say there's some possibility, however remote, that someday we may decrease the size of our computational units, to facilitate the transferring of our minds into a "non biological" network. If this is accomplished and the units (computers) get smaller and smaller, it may be the case that we can map our minds onto individual atoms. From that point, increasing our awareness would be practically instantaneous, which would essentially make us gods, or a more powerful collective god.

It would be amazing to decide what we experience, and therefore, when we die.

mark noble

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:55 am
@Krumple,
Hi Krumple,

Spot on! As I have explained to my good christian friend - You should pray FOR your God. NOT TO Him.
(Biblical) God is the lonliest sadiest being that man has ever deludedly designed................. Unless (My version of) God can seperate Itself from the whole and exist individually as all things, and live the lives or essences of such in ignorance of Its true nature. Now there's a thought!

Mark...
mark noble

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 06:57 am
@Homomorph,
Homomorph wrote:

It would be amazing to decide what we experience, and therefore, when we die.

Hi Homomorph!

Maybe we do??? Read my last post!

Kindest of regards.
mark...
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:23 am
@Krumple,
I always wondered... God or Boeddha; seems God is Hell so it must be Boeddha. So no more hermeticism but meditation till Enlightment comes ?

What is Enlightment different from Psychosis as experenced by the hermetic thinkers in Hellenistic Egypte ? Did not Boeddha die after eating the wrong mushrooms ?

It good to be Human, there is always an end to it ! Even boredom...

mark noble

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Hi Pepijn,

If you were God, I believe that pizza would be the common food source of this planet. Don't you agree?

Have a great day Pepijn.
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:46 am
@Homomorph,
Homomorph wrote:

Would you want to be?

Oh god no.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:49 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I always wondered... God or Boeddha; seems God is Hell so it must be Boeddha. So no more hermeticism but meditation till Enlightment comes ?

What is Enlightment different from Psychosis as experenced by the hermetic thinkers in Hellenistic Egypte ? Did not Boeddha die after eating the wrong mushrooms ?

It good to be Human, there is always an end to it ! Even boredom...

I'm not sure what you trying to say here Pep.

The Buddha was just an ordinary person. I don't know if he was "divine" or just understood something unique about reality. I lean much more towards understanding something about reality that the human mind does not normally. Just as simple as that, nothing supernatural or explicitly out of reach. I do not consider the Buddha a god and I would not say that a god is a Buddha either.

I would say he was able to peel back the layers of the human mind and get right down to the core of how the human mind works. This was the key to ending all the human down falls and problems. Meditation is just a tool which gives you a method to do the same. Once you have peeled all the way to the core and understand the reality of mind you free yourself from the bondage of the mind. It is a rare occurrence that someone succeeds because it is counter intuitive and goes against what the mind struggles for. It's like trying to swim up a torrent river, everything in reality is trying to force you the other direction.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
@mark noble,
Not at all ! Home/made pizza maybe once a week; no to days the same and very moderate on meat. And local products as much as possible !

I would dedicate Tuesday to cooking together with the family or close friends. Or some Other Day for religious people.

Cooking is under/estimated as a social tool for peaceful living I think.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:00 am
@Krumple,
I tried to understand myself your description being God. I thought about it more then I care to remember and came to the conclusion that God would welcome some suprise in His existence.

I e/mailed Him long ago...

In Hellenistic Aegypte there was a hermetic )secret) tradition. People got under influence/trance and gave account from the God(s) and the Universe and Kosmos as Created by a creator God.

Boeddism does not believe in this Creator I believe to exist.
Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:06 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

I tried to understand myself your description being God. I thought about it more then I care to remember and came to the conclusion that God would welcome some suprise in His existence.

But this is not possible. You can't just say that he would come up with some way to incorporate surprise into his existence. You have to analyze what that would mean. So if we start off with some attribute like knowledge of all things then you would have to shut off or limit that knowledge in some way. Can you shut off your knowledge or limit it? This is a requirement to have the ability to be surprised by something. Now, you couldn't just limit your knowledge a little bit because that would only supply you with a very small amount of surprise. So you would have to limit your knowledge a lot that way you increase the chances of being surprised. So then the question becomes, how much limiting does this god do? If it is a lot then it is reducing itself but you can try to counter argue that at any moment it can just reinstate it's knowledge. That is counter productive though. So the logical aspect to this is that it just would not happen at all period.