Not trying to sound cheap, but...

firefly

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:24 am
@chai2,
That coupon was not worth $3 to Walgreens, but you got Walgreens to take a $3 loss when they refunded you $3 more than you actually paid. Is that your idea of fair?

The manager of that store may believe it is better not to argue with a customer, so he gave you $3 you really were not entitled to. Some stores really want to keep customers happy, even if they lose money.

I've also returned things I've bought with a coupon. I would never expect, or ask for, more of a refund than I actually paid for the item. In my mind, that would be dishonest on my part. I also consider that the coupon was used at time of purchase and I would not expect to get it back. At times, I've regretted the loss of the coupon because I might want to repurchase the item in the future, or at another store, or something like that. But I wouldn't expect to get my coupon back unless I returned something immediately. If I got into my car, looked at the item, suddenly realized I bought the wrong one, and went right back into the store for a refund (if I couldn't get an exchange), I might try to ask the cashier for my coupon back. In that case, I think they might give it to me. But, once the cash register money tray is changed (when a new cashier comes on), the coupons are probably taken away with the cash drawer. Once my coupon is gone from the register, I'd consider it lost to me.

The issue of whether the retailer might profit from hanging on to my coupon would never occur to me, nor would it bother me. I save a lot of money using coupons and buying things when they are on sale, so I figure I come out ahead anyway. I also have enough to think about without worrying about whether the store might make a few cents on a coupon.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:29 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ehbeth, you mean to tell me that the cash register, receipt system is so sophisticated that it can track every 50 cents, every 25 cent off coupon, communicate it acurately on a daily basis from the store to the clearinghouse, so they can, on a daily basis credit the manufacturer for each 25 cents that came out of their product, and charge it back to that particular store?

You're on the right track. It is not between each store and the clearing house. It's between the individual store and head office. Head office deals with the clearing house.

It's become increasingly sophisticated over the past decade or so.

The auditing protocols are fascinating (if you are into that kind of thing).
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:37 am
@ehBeth,
Well yes, this really is fascinating.

Can you provide any links where I (we) can learn more?

I am seriously NOT trying to sound cheap, as stated in the thread title. I hope no one thinks I run around town buying things and returning them for profit. Believe me, I know better ways to make money in a respectible way.

BUT...this bothered me.
Thanks ehbeth, this really IS news to me.

I'm going to test this to see how well it works.

I'm going to take a really small coupon, for like 15 cents or a quarter, and use it next time I go to the supermarket, where I will probably get a shopping cart full of items.

I'll return it, and see if that 15 cents is deducted.

If I'm defrauding someone over that 15 cents, take me to the big house. But I really now want to see how well this system works.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:50 am
@chai2,
I'm not sure how it works where you are - but here, at the larger retailers, they create a new bill which reflects your new total.

There's a company up here (winners), which is a sister company to T.J. Maxx. Their system (or the part I can "see") is one of the easiest to follow.

I go in and buy 12 items, 3 with coupons. Get my bill, which shows the 3 items that the coupons were used against. Go back to the store to return 4 items, 2 that I used coupons for. They take (and retain) my original bill and create a whole new one - showing 8 items purchased, 1 with a coupon. I get back (in whatever format I paid) the difference in what I actually paid. I am given the new bill. The new bill that I get references the original bill # at the bottom. Their internal system cross-references the old and new bills.

When they reconcile inventory/bills/coupons - they can only support one coupon - that is what they can submit to the manufacturer.

It's definitely a lot easier with today's computer systems.

An old roommate was a "registered industrial accountant" a few decades back . That meant, in part, that she got to count (one piece of paper at a time) Revlon coupons that stores were attempting to redeem.

roger

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:26 am
@ehBeth,
That is interesting. Not sure, but I think I saw something like that in action a few years ago at K-Mart. That is, there were multiple items on the receipt, and they did produce a new receipt so I would still have a receipt for the unreturned items. I kind of recall the returned item showed as a negative number, which would have corrected the sales tax.

Not an identical situation; there was no coupon involved, but I think everything would have been corrected.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:37 am
@roger,
Those systems also tie into just-in-time inventory processes.

If there were 40 items on the shelf and their system says to re0rder when it gets to 20, the return of an item that can be restocked shows up without a stock person having to a manual reconciliation. Of course, that's one or two or two thousand fewer jobs out there.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:40 pm
I guess I'm just behind the times.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:03 pm
Oh Chai . . . you are such a bitch . . .
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Oh Chai . . . you are such a bitch . . .

What now? Rolling Eyes

have a fantastic day ginger dog.
cheers
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:40 pm
@chai2,
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

Kiss kiss

Best Regards

Snark
0 Replies