msolga

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:41 am
Cathy Wilcox on last week's dramas:

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/29/2589462/567689187a.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:45 am
Tandberg.
I assume that's Glenn Milne, or his editor, in the blue suit?

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/30/2591224/Tandberg-Murdoch-30-August-600x400.gif
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 12:05 am
A little something to brighten your day ....

Sounds like they want to deregulate the labour market, yes?

Here we go again! Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Abbott backs Howard on IR laws rollback

Jeremy Thompson
Updated August 31, 2011 13:32:46/ABC News

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has given qualified support to John Howard's calls for a Coalition government to roll back Labor's IR reforms.

Saying the Gillard Government had swung "the pendulum to the other side", Mr Abbott endorsed the former prime minister's comments that Australia "has to wind back the re-regulation of the labour market".

Until now Mr Abbott has shied away from workplace reform, fearful of a repeat of the anti-WorkChoices campaign that helped topple the Howard government in 2007.

Last night on ABC TV's 7.30, Mr Howard said he would leave the tactics of labour reform to the Opposition.

But he said that "at some point this country has to wind back the re-regulation of the labour market".

"It's blindingly obvious that one of the worst mistakes Julia Gillard has made is to re-regulate the labour market. It is affecting our productivity and it will therefore affect our competitiveness," Mr Howard said.

Asked on Radio 3AW if he endorsed Mr Howard's remarks, Mr Abbott described Mr Howard as a "very, very shrewd observer" and added: "Essentially he is right."

"I think there is no doubt that the [Labor Government's] Fair Work legislation took the pendulum from one side and swung it right back to the other side," Mr Abbott said.

Asked if he meant deregulation of the labour market, Mr Abbott said: "I think we need freedom. I think we ought to be able to trust the businesses and the workers of Australia to come to arrangements which suit themselves."

Told that it sounds like "a version of WorkChoices", Mr Abbott moved to distance himself from the description.

"Look, we've gone over this time and time again. The fact of the matter is that it's in the past. It's absolutely in the past. We want to tackle the problems of now, not to dwell in the past."

The Howard government's WorkChoices laws provided for individual bargaining between companies and workers as well as excluding businesses under 100 employees from unfair dismissal laws.

Asked how his vision of workplace laws is different from WorkChoices, Mr Abbott said: "We want the businesses of Australia, the businesses that are currently under terrible pressure ... we want them to come to us and tell us how government can make it easier for them to compete and employ."

The issue has become a thorny one for Mr Abbott since former Liberal minister Peter Reith earlier this month raised the question of deregulating the labour market - particularly in the retail sector - and vowed to campaign on the issue. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-31/abbott-backs-howard-on-ir-laws/2863890
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 12:44 am
I'm thinking of running a competition.

Tell me what you think.

I forget where now, but the other day I heard a very funny conversation about parliamentarians in hardhats.
You know, photo importunities where they mingle with The Common People (ie workers) , preferably at their places work ... wearing (you've got it) hard hats & other industrial type embellishments, mostly on their heads.

The theory is that these folk (the workers & which way they vote ) are going to be a very important factor in the outcome of the next election. Probably the most important deciding factor.

That's why we've seen so many photographs of rugged, smiling pollies at building sites, butcher shops, fish markets, factory assembly lines, etc, etc, etc ... getting along really, really well with Common Folk , who obviously love them.

Apparently photo opps at universities, the stock exchange or at board meetings, etc, are useless, because those votes are already sewn up & they don't count.

OK, to win the competition, you have to produce the best politician mingling with the workers image, wearing or not wearing hard hat.

Got it?

Here's my contribution. Tony Abbott drilling a hole into a bit of wood, at some factory, somewhere (from the article I posted above) .....

Can you do better that this?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/2864030-3x2-700x467.jpg
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 12:50 am
@msolga,
Oooh, here's a good one of Julia, wearing a hard hat, with a group of female students.
Good one Julia.
But they're too young to vote!

http://images.4bc.com.au/2010/06/24/1633920/Julia%20Gillard-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 01:24 am
High Court rules against the Malaysian Solution - ruling seems to rule out the Nauru solution as well......

Malaysia Solution: High Court ruling explained

The Gillard Government's refugee policy is in disarray after the full bench of the High Court today made permanent injunctions preventing the removal of asylum seekers to Malaysia.

The action was initially brought before the High Court by refugee activist lawyer David Manne, acting on behalf of clients who had arrived by boat and faced being removed to Malaysia, including a 16-year-old boy.

Under the terms of the Malaysia Solution, Australia would have accepted 4,000 people certified as refugees from Malaysia in return for the Asian country taking 800 asylum seekers who had arrived on Australian shores.

The Conversation spoke to Monash University legal expert Maria O'Sullivan about the implications of the decision.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 01:29 am
@hingehead,
Yes, I heard that on the news this afternoon, hinge.
Sounds a bit of a stuff-up all round for the government!
What now, I wonder?

hingehead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 01:49 am
@msolga,
Well, if Nauru's illegal too then (as suggested by someone on twitter) maybe the libs will back a labor bill to change the legislation so that their solution is made legal too?

On the plus side Labor can say well we gave it a shot you paranoid racist scum swinging voters in the outer suburbs of our city but the courts won't let us. And if the libs don't back a legislative change they can hoist them on that petard.

Really though, can we go back to being human about boat people? Sheeit.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:00 am
@hingehead,
I was wondering about Nauru, hinge. (John Howard's "Pacific solution" for processing asylum seekers). I wasn't sure if it was "illegal" or not within the terms established in the court case.

I feel inclined to think the Libs will be quite happy to let Labor stew in this mess, even if they could easily help find a solution.

Either way, sadly, I think asylum seekers' welfare will be the last concern of either party at this point in time.
And Labor does look rather foolish & inept on this issue at the moment.
This will suit the Libs just fine!
It'll be all about political point scoring. (So what's new? Neutral )

hingehead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 03:43 am
@msolga,
Scott Morrison's on 730 report saying Nauru isn't affected - walked away from TV. I don't like Scott Morrison at all.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 03:55 am
@hingehead,
Sorry, I missed that. (Cooking dinner right now.)

What does "Nauru isn't affected" mean?
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:57 am
@msolga,
Oh I understand now.
Point scoring.
Neutral
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:26 am

Quote:
VIDEO: Bowen stands firm on Malaysia deal

Posted August 31, 2011 17:29:39

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the High Court's decision to overhaul the Government's Malaysia asylum swap deal is profoundly disapointing.
(ABC News)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-31/bowen-stands-firm-on-malaysia-deal/2864498
dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:13 am
@msolga,
Oh, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed.

I can't stop my tears.

http://i.pbase.com/v3/64/603464/1/50569008.JoyRemembered.JPG
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:41 am
@msolga,
Truthfully Olgs I don't pay much attention to Morrison any more (I thought he was a decent thinking bloke in the Turnbull mold once, now his arse is Tony's and he ranks with Chris Pyne as a hateful caricature).

But I'm guessing it's about the level of sovereign control the Australian govt has within a refugee camp in a country that hasn't isn't a refugee signatory.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 06:36 pm
@hingehead,
Lots of negative fallout for the government today, as expected:

Incompetence and disaster: another grim day for Gillard:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/incompetence-and-disaster-another-grim-day-for-gillard-20110831-1jm5a.html

Asylum strategy in tatters after court ruling:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-01/malaysia-deal-what-next/2864996

And I haven't even ventured into Murdoch's papers yet. Neutral

This is a humiliating outcome for the Labor government at a very unfortunate time. Devastating to its credibility. The Coalition will be rubbing its hands in glee this morning.

But what now for the asylum seekers? What happens to our policy and treatment of them from here? I worry that sympathy for their plight will be lost in the fallout from the very ugly political bunfight coming up.

I worry that more community support for them could evaporate, especially if it the public perception is that it's now "open sesame" on our borders.

I suspect Abbott & co will be absolutely delighted if, as the result of this high court ruling, "boat people" start arriving on our northern shores in even bigger numbers & will exploit the situation for all it's worth to an alarmed electorate.

Which could lead to the very opposite of the intended outcome of yesterday's high court ruling. Yes, David Mann & the lawyers challenging the "Malaysia Solution" were absolutely correct to do so, but ..... if as a result of their victory in court we find ourselves in a chaotic "policy void" in regard to asylum seekers, they may not achieve the outcome they desired. I really worry that we might end up with even tougher, less compassionate government policies than those we had before the "Malaysia solution"

Sigh.
I hope things are considerably less grim that I'm seeing them this morning.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:04 pm
@msolga,
I was wondering about this ....

Looks like Nauru might be out of the question, too.

Looks like both political parties might have to do a total re-think.

Quote:
Urgent legal advice sought by the Gillard government shows that all offshore processing - including on Nauru and Manus Island - could be invalid.

Sources have told Fairfax that the advice was presented to a snap meeting of cabinet in Brisbane last night following the High Court ruling which torpedoed the Malaysian plan.

Although the court ruled that arrangements in Nauru were "very different" to those in Malaysia, government lawyers believe that a full interpretation of the lengthy court ruling disqualifies both Nauru and Manus Island.

"We're not the only ones with a problem," a source said. ....

Asylum seekers decision set to rule out other offshore centres:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/asylum-seekers-decision-set-to-rule-out-other-offshore-centres-20110901-1jmt1.html
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 07:29 pm
@msolga,
Oh great. Neutral
Graham Richardson.

Wouldn't it be nice if the NSW right, past & present, would just vanish?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ten-months-and-labors-gone-richardson-20110901-1jmyr.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 11:08 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Urgent legal advice sought by the Gillard government shows that all offshore processing - including on Nauru and Manus Island - could be invalid.

That's the advice of the attorney general.

Meanwhile, Tony Abbott is saying that does not apply to his plan ... off-shore processing of asylum seekers on Nauru.
ie the "Pacific Solution" ... all over again.

This is becoming quite depressing.