Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:13 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Did you see Media Watch, a bit earlier?
I loved how Holmes pointed out that the Canberra media gallery's response was so totally out of kilter with the very strong popular - ordinary people's - response to Gillard's speech in the parliament.

How have they become so out of touch? (say nothing of irrelevant, quite a bit of the time?) Signature

It was a good wrap up of what the twitblogosphere had been saying about the press gallery's response. I wonder if the media is getting more out of touch because less people base their realities on it - or if less people base their realities on it because it's more out of touch. But lets face it, we're spoiled for choice.

On the single parent dole thing. I would have thought it was a regressive move, but Mrs Hinge is for it. Coming from both the govt employment area AND having been a single mother she sees it as a positive. She often recalls doing the math while working with a three year old in day care that she would have been financially better off as a stay at home mum (with various benefits like travel discounts, free day care (just not much of it) etc. Not by much but a little. But it meant public housing and it wasn't what she wanted for her daughter. So she worked her ring off. Come to think of it she still does.

Anyway the upshot is that changes to tax law mean that part time work no longer reduces your benefit. I think the govt's position is that engagement at any level is better than nothing.

I worry that a cookie cutter approach may seriously disadvantage a minority so I hope there's some safety net action happening.
hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:17 am
@msolga,
I forgot to share my thoughts on the misogyny/sexism thing.

People seem to be approaching it as a black/white dichotomy - when actually it's a spectrum of behaviours and attitudes.

Personally I don't think of Tony as a misogynist (not that I'm an expert) but I'm pretty sure he has some sexist attitudes - and those have misogynist elements.

I did laugh at the dictionary guy. It was such a year 4 debating technique - and showed a complete lack of knowledge about the function of a dictionary and the fluidity of language. I honestly thought 'You're an auditor, aren't you?'
hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 12:56 am
@hingehead,
First dog on the other hand is not a fan

http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/NewstartIsReallyTerrible.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:44 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
On the single parent dole thing.

Thanks for providing another perspective to mine, hinge.
I really admire those with the strength & the ability to pull themselves up. And their children with them.
I've also known quite a few people who just can't manage to do that, for any number of reasons.
But mostly I worry about the kids living in poverty, whether their parent/s depend on Newstart, the single parents allowance, or whatever is causing them to exist in impoverished circumstances. I've known so many of them during my years of teaching ... kids having a really tough trot, through absolutely no fault of their own. Sometimes because their parent/s just can't (or won't try to) get their act together.
When I heard about the cuts to the allowance, my first concern was that those kids might be even worse off than they are now.
Quite a few of the single parents I got to know through teaching their kids in the northern & western suburbs here were young women who first became pregnant at a young age & who have minimal education. Realistically, quite a few would have little prospect of finding work as they have few skills to offer an employer ... & some of them have next to no experience of work.
I don't know what the answer is, but I suspect a government sponsored education/training program, focusing on the acquisition of skills which are in demand, might be a more realistic & helpful approach than cutting benefits. .
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:11 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
I wonder if the media is getting more out of touch because less people base their realities on it - or if less people base their realities on it because it's more out of touch.

Yes. Smile

Too much time in Canberra cut off from the real world, I think.
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/10/16/3718269/Tandberg-cart-729-620x349.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:42 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
.... the misogyny/sexism thing.

People seem to be approaching it as a black/white dichotomy - when actually it's a spectrum of behaviours and attitudes.

Personally I don't think of Tony as a misogynist (not that I'm an expert) but I'm pretty sure he has some sexist attitudes - and those have misogynist elements.

To add to the confusion & to give people even more to argue about!:

Quote:
The Macquarie Dictionary's decision to change its definition of misogyny after Prime Minister Julia Gillard's speech in Parliament last week has caused outrage and division on social media.
Some say the move to broaden the definition from a 'pathological hatred of women' to include an 'entrenched prejudice against women' is ludicrous. .....

Misogyny definition sparks war of words:
http://storify.com/abcnews/misogyny-definition-sparks-war-of-words

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:59 am
@msolga,
Hi olgs, having had this conversation with mrs hinge many times I'm happy to tell you that the less skills and the longer you've been unemployed the more attractive you are to a job services Australia provider - their rewards are significantly higher with those job seekers than the recently unemployed and well skilled.

I've only been unemployed twice in my life. In the late 80s and the old CES found me a job, and when I came to cairns. JSA were completely disinterested. I was too skilled and too recently unemployed. So yes, there is a bunch of things available to build confidence and ability to single mothers returning to the workforce.
hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 07:02 am
@msolga,
I wonder how many think this is political bandwagonism by Macquarie? Again, people who don't know how dictionaries function - these decisions aren't made in a week
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:03 pm
I feel a bit vindicated...

Great news for a struggling ALP govt too.

Carbon tax contributes to emissions drop

THE carbon tax has helped drive a sharp fall in the carbon emissions of Australia's power generation as coal-fired stations are closed, mothballed or sell less into the electricity market.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/carbon-tax-contributes-to-emissions-drop-20121017-27rl6.html#ixzz29bHK8I9A
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 02:46 pm
@hingehead,
I completely forgot about the providers.
You're right ... when an unemployed person finds themselves with a good one, they may well receive the support they require.
But if they have the bad luck to find themselves with a dodgy one, they may not.
I've heard lots of horror stories of bad experiences, quite a few first-hand ones, like being forced into completely inappropriate jobs or lose the dole ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 02:53 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Carbon tax contributes to emissions drop

Yay!
Excellent news! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
A couple of quick ones ...

This is the more amusing story.
If only 2GB had insisted on "factual accuracy training " & "conduct training" for him before!
That would have changed everything! Wink

Quote:
CONTROVERSIAL shock jock Alan Jones has been ordered to undergo ''factual accuracy'' training, and to use fact-checkers, in another damaging blow to his credibility.

External trainers will conduct training sessions for Jones and other news and current affairs staff at 2GB. But their task could be a challenging one, with many leading journalism academics having been involved in the online ''Destroy the Joint'' campaign against Jones. That campaign led to droves of advertisers abandoning the show in the wake of Jones' offensive comments about the Prime Minister in relation to her late father.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority yesterday released a damning report on Jones' show, finding he breached broadcast rules by falsely claiming Australians contributed just ''1 per cent of .001 per cent of carbon dioxide in the air''.

''The percentage of man-made carbon dioxide Australia produces is 1 per cent of .001 per cent of carbon dioxide in the air,'' Jones told his listeners on March 15 last year. ''Nature produces nearly all the carbon dioxide in the air.''
Advertisement

2GB told the media regulator Jones had done his own research for the claims, but neither he nor the station could provide any evidence. ....

Shock jock Jones told to get 'factual accuracy' training:
http://www.nationaltimes.com.au/opinion/political-news/shock-jock-jones-told-to-get-factual-accuracy-training-20121018-27srs.html

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/10/18/3724467/port-moir-oct19-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 03:17 pm
And this ..

... after all his incessant carry-on about "turning back the boats"! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
OPPOSITION leader Tony Abbott did not raise his policy of towing back asylum seeker boats to Indonesian waters when he met the country's president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, in Jakarta last night.

The policy is the key point of contention between the Coalition and the Indonesian government.

Neither Mr Abbott nor Dr Yudhoyono spoke after the approximately 30-minute meeting about what they had discussed, but Indonesian foreign minister Marty Natalegawa told reporters that "that specific modality, that specific possibility," was not raised by Mr Abbott. ...... <cont>

Abbott keeps mum on boat policy:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/abbott-keeps-mum-on-boat-policy-20121015-27n9e.html
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
On uranium sales to India for "peaceful purposes" ...
I worry that Leunig is becoming quite depressed by politics ...

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/10/17/3720134/Leunig-Nuclear-17-Oct-600x400.gif
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 03:35 pm
Breaking news:

Yay, he's going!!!! Very Happy

At least .. we'd expect it to be Kevin, yes?

Quote:
Canberra's $24 million campaign for a seat at the world's top table paid off early today, when Australia raced ahead of Luxembourg and Finland in voting at UN headquarters to win membership of the UN Security Council.

Australia wins membership of UN Security Council:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/australia-wins-membership-of-un-security-council-20121019-27uny.html
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 04:15 pm
@msolga,
Like Jones - he's dancing with the devil - trying to appeal to some imaginary group of reactionary swinging voters, and in the process pissing off everyone else. All a bit Romney-like, changes colour on the basis of the audience.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 04:19 pm
@msolga,
I didn't read the link Olgs - but it would be our UN ambassador on the security panel wouldn't it? God - the last thing the ALP needs is a by-election.

I laughed at Tony's all-bet-covering "why bother", "spending too much", "well if we can't beat Finland and Luxemborg we're a joke" media grabs at various times. Can't wait to see how he talks it down.

To borrow one of feminism's great lines 'If you're not at the table you're on the menu'
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2012 08:48 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
but it would be our UN ambassador on the security panel wouldn't it?

Yeah, dammit, I think you're right, hinge.
I've associated Kevin-07 with the bid for so long ... also indulged in the wishful speculation that sending him off to the UN could solve a quite a few of Labor's internal problems ... that I just didn't see anyone else doing the job.
Ah well ... sigh.
I wonder who he'll do his next 20 minute interview with? Neutral

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 06:46 pm
http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/SecurityCouncil.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 12:37 am
Am I misogynist if I think Niki Savva is mired in her own biases to the detriment of her profession? She disgraced herself yet again on Insiders this morning.