Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 02:43 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Am I misogynist if I think Niki Savva is mired in her own biases to the detriment of her profession?

No.
But if you are, so am I.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 03:21 pm
Results of the latest Faifax poll published today.

(For detailed information re voting intention, 2010 to present & preferred prime minister, see the interactive bar - directly above the photograph, accessed through the link below.)

Quote:
Gillard's stocks continue to rise
October 22, 2012
Michelle Grattan/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/file/2012/10/21/3732213/nielsen_poll_web_620px/back.jpg

LABOR'S two-party vote has risen for the fourth consecutive month and Julia Gillard's approval has leapt 5 points in an Age/Nielsen poll carrying bad news for Tony Abbott and Kevin Rudd.

Ms Gillard has opened a 10-point margin over Mr Abbott as preferred prime minister - she is up 3 points to 50 per cent, while he has fallen 4 points to 40 per cent. This is her biggest lead since February 2011.

The Coalition is still ahead of Labor on the two-party vote but has fallen a point in five weeks to 52 per cent; the government is up 1 point to 48 per cent.

The two-party gap has closed dramatically since June - from 16 points to 4 points. The Coalition would now win an election on a 2 per cent swing, compared with an 8 per cent swing in June.

Labor's primary vote is steady on 34 per cent, while the Coalition's has fallen 2 points to 43 per cent; the Greens are up a point to 11 per cent in the poll of 1400 taken from Thursday to Saturday.

The results will shore up Ms Gillard's leadership in the face of increasing activity by Mr Rudd and fresh debate about her role in the 2010 coup against him.

The renewed debate has been sparked by former MP Maxine McKew, whose new book claims Ms Gillard was involved in the intrigue rather than being drafted at the last moment, as the PM has maintained.

While the Gillard forces sought to discredit McKew, Mr Rudd rejected a suggestion he had ghosted the book as verging on sexism but refused to be drawn on the leadership issue.

Disapproval of Ms Gillard is down 5 points to 48 per cent, giving her a net approval (approval minus disapproval) of minus 1. Her 47 per cent approval rating is her best since March 2011. Her improvement continues a four-month trend. In contrast, Mr Abbott's disapproval is up a point to 60 per cent, a new personal record high.

His approval is up 1 point to 37 per cent. His net approval is steady at minus 23 per cent, equalling his personal record low.

Pollster John Stirton said Ms Gillard and the government appeared to have entered a post-carbon tax phase, with their numbers back where they were before the tax was announced.

The poll is likely to cause further soul searching within the Liberals about how to pitch their appeal now the edge has gone off the carbon tax issue.

Ms Gillard's improvement has also come after her controversial parliamentary speech accusing Mr Abbott of ''misogyny'', which received some criticism but also garnered praise for its strength and went viral on the internet.

Labor's long-term attempt to portray Mr Abbott as sexist seems to be biting: 42 per cent agreed with this description, compared with 17 per cent who said that of Ms Gillard.

The Liberals received a boost at the weekend from a two-party swing of more than 6 per cent in the Australian Capital Territory election, but Labor, previously in a minority, looks certain to cling to power with the support of the Greens, who, however, have had their seats cut from four to two.

The Age poll shows both leaders have lost ground on most attributes since 2010, but the falls for Ms Gillard tended to be greater than for Mr Abbott.

Ms Gillard's biggest single fall was on ''has the confidence of her party'' - she went from 63 per cent to 47 per cent. Both lost ground on trustworthiness: the PM went from 48 per cent to 39 per cent, and Mr Abbott from 46 per cent to 41 per cent.

Ms Gillard's highest scores were for being competent (63 per cent)
and open to ideas (62 per cent). Her biggest single gain was on ''has a firm grasp of foreign policy'' - she rose 17 points to 56 per cent. Mr Abbott's highest scores were ''has the confidence of his party'' (64 per cent) and competent (58 per cent).

As preferred prime minister, Ms Gillard has a 15-point lead among women and a 6-point margin among men.

With the election due within a year, people are more inclined to favour Labor going full term; 57 per cent (up 9 points since February) want a full term, while 42 per cent (down 8 points) want an election as soon as possible. Seven out of 10 Coalition voters want a quick poll, but only 13 per cent of Labor supporters.

Most voters (56 per cent) expect the Coalition to win the election; 32 per cent predict a Labor win. More than eight in 10 Coalition supporters say that the opposition will win, but only one-third of Labor Party voters. Victoria is bad for the Coalition - it trails Labor 46-54 per cent on the two-party vote. Queensland is Labor's worst state: the Coalition is ahead 59-41 per cent.

Mr Abbott, upstaged at a Sydney Chinese function when Mr Rudd made an appearance and spoke Mandarin, said Labor was ''at war with itself''. ''What the Labor Party has got to do is resolve its leadership tensions quickly,'' he told reporters.

Gillard's stocks continue to rise:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/gillards-stocks-continue-to-rise-20121021-27zpc.html
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 04:54 pm
@msolga,
Laura Tingle's (Financial Review) analysis of the Neilson/Fairfax poll findings.
I think she may well be right.

I guess the Libs will now bang on endlessly about "turning back the boats" & "division" in the Labor Party? What else do they have left to bang on about?

Quote:
This trend suggests that, while today’s headlines will be about the Prime Minister, the much more important story is about Tony Abbott. And not in a good way.

The signs are that the electorate’s anger over the carbon tax is now ­abating and, perhaps, also the angst over minority government. A majority of voters now want the government to serve its full term.

We can now start to assess the effectiveness and costs of the ­campaign run by Abbott against the ­carbon tax.

One compelling measure of the campaign’s impact is to look at the leaders’ approval figures before the carbon price announcement and now. The Prime Minister’s approval rating has fallen from 52 per cent in 2010 and early 2011 to 47 per cent.

The good news for Gillard is the 47 per cent figure is part of a four-month improving trend.

The Opposition Leader’s approval rating, by comparison, has slumped from 50 per cent to 37 per cent in the same period and is not improving.

It is hard not to come to the conclusion that the political cost of the carbon tax for Gillard has not been anywhere near as high as the cost to Abbott of attacking it, and through it, the Prime Minister.

The Coalition has tended to regard the Opposition Leader’s poor personal standing as collateral damage necessary to help bring down the government. But today’s figures show that a turning point really has been reached on this.

The Coalition now has all the collateral damage but confronts a Prime Minister whose personal approval ratings are now back to where they were before the whole carbon tax episode began.

More importantly, leaders’ personal approval ratings tend to be a lead indicator for party votes.

Labor’s primary vote remains at the lower edge of what some of its strategists call a “politically habitable” space.

That is, the primary vote is only at a level to allow Labor to think it might be heading towards being in contention at the next poll but is not there yet.

But voters, it seems, have moved on from the carbon tax.

The Nielsen poll suggests voters are starting to seriously assess both leaders, and the hostility to the Prime Minister is fading.

Abbott pays price for scare campaign:
http://www.afr.com/p/national/abbott_pays_price_for_scare_campaign_MirOgAHHDFs2wbIzAoPtJL

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:54 pm
Quote:
Treasurer Wayne Swan has revealed cuts to baby bonus payments and the private health insurance rebate to protect his promised budget surplus.

Today's mid-year economic update shows lower commodity prices and falling tax receipts trimming the projected 2012-13 budget surplus to just $1.1 billion, down from the $1.5 billion predicted in May.

There has also been a further write down in tax revenue over the forward estimates of almost $22 billion, including $4 billion in the current financial year.

As a result, Mr Swan has revealed spending cuts and extra charges worth $16 billion over four years, including:

Limiting increases in the private health insurance rebate to inflation, saving $710 million over four years.

A jump in the visa application fee that is forecast to raise $520 million over four years.

The baby bonus payment for the second and subsequent children will be reduced to $3,000, saving $505 million over forward estimates.

Delaying funds for Labor's trades training centres program, saving $305 million. ... <cont>

Swan wields axe to protect shrinking surplus:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-22/swan-wields-axe-to-protect-shrinking-surplus/4326498
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:09 pm
@msolga,
State Liberal Leadership challenge in South Australia tomorrow. After months of undermining the present opposition leader Isobel Redmond, her opponent Martin Hamilton-Smith finally threw down the gauntlet last Friday. The latter is a very ambitious Politician now having challenged three opponents for the top job. He previously held the job of opposition leader but was thrown out after making a serious political blunder. The present leader holds a commanding 57 - 43 lead over Labor in a Newspoll conducted last month and is entitled to keep her position I feel.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:35 pm
@Dutchy,
Excuse me if I've got my wires completely crossed here, Dutchy ...
But wasn't Alexander Downer somehow (directly or indirectly) involved in this?
Something to do with the present Liberal leader wanting him to come back (to state politics this time)?
Dutchy

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:58 pm
@msolga,
Downer did get a mention (Newspaper talk I guess) but he went on TV and flatly denied he was interested in the job. However can we really believe Politicians? In my humble opinion they all tamper with the truth at times. Smile
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 09:34 pm
@msolga,
Indirectly, apparently the incumbent said she'd step aside if Downer would lead the state opposition. As Dutchy says, he wasn't interested. But it does beg the question why she asked publicly. The perception of her lack of commitment to being the leader must have fuelled the hyphen's challenge.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:41 pm
@hingehead,
Thanks, Dutchy & hinge.
All is clear now!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 03:43 pm
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/10/22/3734149/SATURN-WIDE-tandberg-420x0.jpg
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:39 pm
@msolga,
Ha! Somewhat off topic....but a victory for sense over factions in SA Labor. yay!

Right faction heavyweight, Don Farrel....who is a federal nobody at present...had the numbers to be placed above Federal Finance Minister Penny Wong on the Senate ballot.

He has, at last, resigned that position to Penny.

Lots of pressure, I assume.
hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:59 pm
@dlowan,
This is such a weird story. Want on earth possessed them to do this in the first place? I find it so worrying that they don't have the political savvy to see what the fallout would be and have the brains to avoid it.

Apparently a particular union owns the ALP's ass in SA, and Farrel runs that union?
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 10:08 pm
@hingehead,
The right is dominant.....I guess Farrel's union is dominant in the right? I don't follow the ins and outs too much. Good to see factional heavies show a wee bit of nous.

Hell, Penny ain't just a good woman and a great minister in a tough post, she's an open lesbian with a baby!

We've just had State Convention here...and Julia turned up. I wonder if the Feds showed some muscle?
hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:12 pm
@dlowan,
Changing it with a push from the Feds is beside the point. That a state branch hasn't got the brains to see how this would go down in the first place gives a fair hint of self interest over national interest and either wilful ignorance or disdain for public perception. You know Farrel was in the faceless cabal that booted Rudd, right?

And I agree Penny Wong is a legend. Although I'm sad to see that she's less likely to speak widely on issues now that she's Finance Minister.
dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:08 am
@hingehead,
Don't know much about Farrel. I think it endemic to Labor that the factions lose sight of the main game. The enemy is generally the other faction more than the conservatives for most factional heavies.

SA used to be fairly harmonious factionally in the past....it was a stunning and horrific revelation to me as a youngster to see how viciously they operated in the eastern states when I got my first taste of it.

I dunno...as the party has moved further away from giving a damn about the policy platform formulated at conventions it has given it a bit more freedom from the factions....but at the cost of any sort of really progressive agenda.

The realities of tasting power I guess.

I agree that seeing Farrel muscle his way to the top of the ticket was very sobering.

I may get to find out what happened behind the scenes to make it so soon.

Yep....people get muzzled in power. Just the way it is. She can still deliver a measured and sometimes subtle punch, though.

Getting rid of leaders is always an ugly and brutal process. Horrible to watch....like dogs dragging down a wounded animal.
dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:11 am
@dlowan,
Actually, the faction thing is even truer of the Libs here. They'd have been back in power if it weren't for their constant infighting. Just had another leadership spill which saw isabel Redmond hang in with one vote.

She has been fighting for her place for a long time. The crunch came when she told the truth for a moment and said they'd sack 25,000 public servants as soon as they came to power. Shocking mistake.
hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 12:20 am
@dlowan,
Hey thanks Deb, I hadn't seen that the Redmond spill had been voted on. Wow 1 vote.

Still that's all Abbott had on Turnbull.

Are the factions in the state libs wet & dry 0r is it just the country club they go to? Do those factions feed up to federal? Is Chris Pyne in one? Are all the members as fingernail-scraping-annoying as he is?
dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:01 am
@hingehead,
Crikey! I don't know most of that. I dont study the Libs. Only really had to worry about them after the State Bank collapse...and now. They are leading in the polls.

I think it's dry and drier....the wets went off and formed the Liberal Movement or whatever it was called under Steele Hall, which became the Democrats, which died ( as I prognosticated, she says darkly) as soon as it had to stop swanning around looking cute and make a real decision which had real impact in the real world. Mind you, Janine Haines was a bloody nice woman and a hoot at parties!

Steele Hall would likely look like a communist compared with modern Labor....mind you, so does Malcolm Fraser!

Chris? I don't know what the actual factions are called. Yep...he's a what we call in the words of Mr Spooner, a shining wit all right. He's got a bloody on the ball team, though. You contact his office about anything and they're on it like a duck on a June bug. Had to fend them off with shovels and cats!

I guess dry and drier goes up into Federal politics? Don't really know.

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:09 am
@dlowan,
Actually, historically there have been some great Libs and people in Labor have been able to collaborate with some of them really well....eg on women's issues.

Some of them are a damn sight nicer than the labor folk...though it hurts to say it.

Man, they were arseholes when they got in after the bank collapse, though. I worked in the same building as one of the new, absolutely most horrible, Lib members, and his minders came in to our office like soldiers ready to rape loot and pillage. I was minding the phones while our admin team had a meeting and they treated me like a chattel...invading space, picking stuff up and reading it, making demands (to fix their phone system, of all things!). I said I was happy to set them up in a room with a phone so they could get help with the phone system....then had to almost literally throw them out of said room until I had rremoved all client material. They seemed to think everything was now theirs to do with as they liked.

Mind you, some Labor minders are like storm troopers, too....some of these people I previously had a lot of time for. Power and the strange little world ministers live in has very disturbing effects on some people....and those around them.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 06:39 pm
Labor lifts, Abbott shifts, credibility drifts

Date
November 6, 2012
Category
Opinion
Lenore Taylor
Source
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/labor-lifts-abbott-shifts-credibility-drifts-20121105-28u5i.html

LABOR'S national secretary, George Wright, says Australian politics has entered the ''post-carbon'' phase. Labor is back in a ''contestable'' position and the disastrous electoral impact of the tax is over.

Tony Abbott wouldn't admit it - but he seems to think so, too. He mentioned the electricity bill increases suffered by his small-business-backdrop-of-the-day on Monday (a Harley-Davidson dealership) but immediately admitted it was not all the carbon tax's fault.

A ''post carbon'' world presents problems for the Coalition leader. His answer to the tax was to ''axe'' it.
Wright. new ALP federal secretary George Wright. Melbourne Age. news. photo by Angela Wylie. April 19 2011.

Australian politics has entered the "post-carbon" phase, according to Labor's national secretary, George Wright.

His latest attack is that the government won't deliver its promised budget surplus. Many economists agree. The Coalition leader's answer is that he would deliver a surplus, every year. But no slogan can sum up the complications in that pledge.

Starting from the same point as Labor, he must account for abolishing the carbon and mining taxes, but keep some of the policies they pay for, personal tax cuts (they cost at least $3 billion a year), his $3 billion a year paid parental leave plan, the $3.2 billion Direct Action plan on climate change and other promises besides. But he has opposed cuts to so-called middle-class welfare, and won't introduce new taxes or broaden the GST.

That leaves billions in spending cuts to be announced before the next election. But business groups are warning the economy is slowing and close to the point where big reductions could be dangerous and self-defeating.

Abbott says his all sums will add up because he will increase productivity - which he might - but certainly not in time to have an appreciable impact on the first Hockey budget, within months of the election.

In a pep talk to Labor's national executive last Friday, Wright argued Labor's vote had returned to almost exactly where it was in early 2011, when the government announced the carbon tax deal and Abbott's preferred prime minister ratings had slumped to ''pre-carbon'' levels.

Labor strategists concede the ''trust'' legacy of the broken carbon tax promise remains.

But the carbon tax gift has stopped giving, and Labor is unlikely to offer another.

0 Replies