Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

Bootlace

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 08:11 pm
I wonder how many public servants who got the chop or are about to get the chop, voted for this little twerp in Brisbane ?
People in other states should take heed, because the Rabbott will be even worse.
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 09:16 pm
@Bootlace,
I've yet to meet anyone who'll admit to voting LNP - but a shitload must have.

Then again I work in a university, a hotbed of radical lefties programming future generations to be communist tree huggers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:35 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
I have said a few times and still think, that the electorate will take what's happening under the new right govts on the eastern seaboard as an indicator of what will happen under Abbott

That's my thinking, too.
BUT it will take both state & federal Labor to push that message home, to fully convince the voters.
So far they're not exactly doing a great job of pushing such an obvious message.

hingehead

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:17 am
@msolga,
Quote:
BUT it will take both state & federal Labor to push that message home, to fully convince the voters.
So far they're not exactly doing a great job of pushing such an obvious message.

Maybe it doesn't have to be Labor that gets that message across in this interwebbed world...

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375613_366783360061879_1982264245_n.jpg
hingehead

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:17 am
@hingehead,
PS Is Ms Gillard drinking Tooheys Old or Coopers stout? I'm guessing the latter. Or Guinness for the migrant vote?
0 Replies

Bootlace

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 02:20 pm
Quote:

NET Syndicated news.com News

Law makes it illegal for pollies to lie

August 02, 2012 5:44PM

TO THOSE who think all politicians are liars, take heart - a new law bans them from telling porkies.

The Queensland Government has reinstated laws that make lying to Parliament a criminal offence.

Amendments to the Criminal Code passed through the state's Parliament today, undoing Labor's changes to the law in 2006.

It is now a criminal offence to lie to the state's Parliament or one of its committees, and will apply to members of the public as well as MPs.

Under the changes, it is also an offence to cause a disturbance while Parliament is sitting, and to refuse to attend or give evidence to a parliamentary committee.

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie said the changes would enhance Parliament's reputation.

© 2012 News Queensland. All times AEST (GMT +10:00)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/law-makes-it-illegal-for-pollies-to-lie/story-fndo20i0-...

Now if only this could be applied to pre-election promises .
Wonder who will be the first casualty ?

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 04:34 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Maybe it doesn't have to be Labor that gets that message across in this interwebbed world...

Excellent ad!
Who produced it?

One thing I'd add to the list, going by Victoria's experience with the Libs, is losing most of Labor's environment initiatives .... this (Liberal) government has been devastating in that regard. The Nationals have have had a free hand! Shocked
Sad to say, but Labor in Victoria hasn't been very vocal about it (or else has not managed to get its message across) .... it's the Greens who are making the most noise about what is happening. I honestly don't think most people could actually name the new Labor leader.

Oh & I forgot to mention education!
Funding for state schools & TAFE colleges has been decimated under the Libs. I'm not exaggerating, it's terrible!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 04:42 pm
From Victoria.

Just read this in the AGE.:

Quote:
THE group representing parents in Victorian state schools has joined teachers in calling for controversial religious instruction classes to be scrapped during school hours.

Parents Victoria yesterday passed a motion at its annual general meeting calling for the religion classes to be moved outside the normal school day.

The Education Department forces primary schools to run the classes during school time if an accredited instructor is available.

About 96 per cent of special religious instruction in Victoria is provided by Christian organisation Access Ministries, whose volunteers run the classes in 850 of the state's 1300 government primary schools. ....

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/08/03/3526578/tadberg-news-0408-300x0.jpg

Parents shun school religion:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/parents-shun-school-religion-20120803-23l7v.html

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:50 am
@Bootlace,
Just read this.
Why, why, why? Confused
What a backward step!
What's next?

Quote:
BREASTSCREEN Queensland - the iconic statewide cancer service credited with saving thousands of lives - will be dismantled by the Newman Government.

The plan to break up the service, as well as bowel and cervical cancer programs, has shocked the Queensland Cancer Council, which now fears lives will be put at risk.

The state's 17 hospital and health boards will be given responsibility to co-ordinate and plan mammograms and other cancer tests.

Shock as LNP government winds up iconic statewide cancer service BreastScreen:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/shock-as-lnp-government-winds-up-iconic-statewide-cancer-service-breastscreen/story-e6freoof-1226442891276
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:59 pm
Oz newspapers full of Olympic cartoons this morning.
A toss-up whether to post them to the Meaning of Oz thread, or here.
I'll post the "political" ones here.
Petty:

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/08/06/3531269/MOR-petty-20120806091011405302-620x0.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 08:01 pm
@msolga,
Wilcox:

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/08/04/3527891/port-Wilcox-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 08:23 pm
@msolga,
Hi Olgs, in the interest of balance, the QLD LNP is getting rid of centralised control of breast cancer screening and devolving it to regional health agencies.

I guess to the LNP it's like the 'giving more power to the principals' idea for school governance. And they feel they can save money by removing a level of bureaucracy.

Personally I think not holding all areas of the state to the same level of service is a retrograde step. In a rich country geographical inequalities in health service access and provision are what we should be working against, not institutionalising them.
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 08:51 pm
@hingehead,
Surely concern about "central control" is irrelevant when it comes providing the best possible health service to the most people?
I seriously doubt there will be anything like the expertise available in every single regional agency.
And imagine the implications of all the duplication of resources, too. And probably on a reduced health budget, as well. (Been there done that in Victorian state schools. Not a great idea, trust me. And don't start me on "more power to the principals"! Rolling Eyes It actually has meant more control to the govt/education dept/the regions in Victoria. It is a much easier way of telling principals what they must do. )
I think this is LNP political dogma overriding common sense.
And I think it will back-fire on them.
But I worry more about the vulnerable people who rely on that service being as up-to-date & as good as it can be.
Sorry if I sound rather grumpy, hinge, but we've had years of this in Victoria, during & post-Kennett. At rock bottom, you can't produce an improved service (no matter what that service is) while at the same time slashing & burning funding to the public sector.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 09:12 pm
@hingehead,
Don't get me wrong.
If the LNP's plan was to provide an equivalent, quality service (to the centralized one) in regional areas (especially in a state as big as Qld) with the necessary increase to funding, I'd probably be supportive.
But, somehow I don't think the plan is to increase spending on the health sector at all, but to reduce it.
That's what happened with Victoria's experiment with economic rationalism, starting with Kennett. Our public hospitals are still up **** creek, like our state schools, public transport, etc, etc, etc ...
You just can't provide quality public services, which the majority of people rely on, while cutting costs at the same time. Bottom line.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:16 am
Interesting Q&A tonight from Brisbane.
Very lively!
msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:40 am
@msolga,
Marieke Hardy ‏on tonight's Q@A:
Quote:
Tony Jones asks if Queensland's LNP is a prelude for an Abbott government. Brandis adorably sidesteps. Pass the cyanide capsules.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:29 pm
First Dog, from today's Crikey! :

Quote:
Campbell’s Queensland today, Abbott’s Australia tomorrow! Woohoo!

Crikey / Firstdog / Wednesday, 8 August 2012 / 0
http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NewmanIsAPill.jpg
hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:44 pm
@msolga,
Q&A was OK. Katter again the drunk uncle. He makes sense about half the time. Sprayed both sides of politics quite 'liberally' but actually said more positive things about labor on infrastructure.

I don't know Brandis even bothers. Annoys me almost as Chris Pain and Sophie Mirabella.

Still wondering why the legislative changes to same sex unions were such a priority, and how they help the economy.

Horses with money. Russ Hinze lives!

Inside word is Campbell has a lot of favours to pay off with appointments and handouts. One senior federal public servant with links to the LNP has had to hold off on a transfer/promotion to state public service - not quite as important to Campbell as she thought. Maybe he knows about her inability to manage her own program budget.

Not naming names but am pretty fecking annoyed about what her mismanagement has done to the relationship between service providers and regionally based public servants. Hoping an ass kicking is on the way, the minister is asking about funding for some programs so maybe the stink is rising.
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:07 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
He makes sense about half the time.

Yes, I thought so, too.
Glad it's not only me that thought so. I was wondering if I was losing my mind! Laughing Razz
Quote:
I don't know Brandis even bothers. Annoys me almost as Chris Pain and Sophie Mirabella.

Horrible, isn't he? <shudder, shudder>
Quote:
Still wondering why the legislative changes to same sex unions were such a priority, and how they help the economy.

Yes. First cab off the rank! Very odd. Confused
Quote:
One senior federal public servant with links to the LNP .....

Ah, the inside dirt!
Wouldn't we love to know the details!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 08:35 pm
http://www.leahy.com.au/leahy/images/comics/leahy-12-05-18R.jpg
0 Replies