Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 02:17 am
Poor Annabel Crabb, being stuck on Insiders today with both (!) Henderson & Ackerman!
A bit like dealing with the Extremely Ugly Twins, poor thing.
But, to her credit, she held her ground, despite quite a bit of patronizing nonsense from the strange old fogeys.

Insiders:
http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/
msolga

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 02:21 am
No comment.
But you know what I'm thinking & I know you're thinking! Wink

Quote:
THE political comeback of Howard government minister Mal Brough gained momentum today when he won the right to contest a Queensland seat at the next federal election.

Mal Brough's plan for federal comeback passes a key hurdle, with LNP preselection for Fisher:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/mal-broughs-plan-for-federal-comeback-passes-a-key-hurdle-with-lnp-preselection-for-fisher/story-fn59niix-1226437931331?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheAustralianNewsNDM+%28The+Australian+|+News+|%29

hingehead

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:37 am
@msolga,
It was a dud insiders wasn't it? I 'loved' the toad and the knob's inability to hide their partisanship. Rather than answer the question about whether the greens bashing was the right strategy for the ALP they both went for the intellectually lazy - 'it doesn't matter what they do'.

I did think that analysis about the pointlessness of trying take votes from the greens was interesting particularly the factoid that 80% of greens voters direct their preferences to the ALP anyway. So Barry's question was worth asking - if the ALP distances from the greens (good luck with that) could they claw back any primary votes from the Libs? I'd suggest only if Abbott stays leader.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:50 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
the toad and the knob

Ha.
That's so appropriate.
They're not pretty are they?
(nor are their views) Wink

Quote:
... if the ALP distances from the greens (good luck with that) could they claw back any primary votes from the Libs? I'd suggest only if Abbott stays leader.

Let me think about that for a bit.
Off the top of my head I'd have agree with your assessment.
I didn't watch too much of the rest of the program, but will check out the section you mentioned.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:38 am
Posting this because it made me laugh.
No so funny though, that so many are feeling this way.

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/07/30/3510979/tandberg-polls-30Jul-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:42 am
http://images.theage.com.au/2012/07/30/3510978/PETTY-abbott-30Jul-600x400.jpg

Published in today's AGE:
Quote:
Australia under Abbott

He's an opposition leader par excellence, but his blind spots suggest problems as PM

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/australia-under-abbott-20120729-235y6.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:46 am
Quote:
The latest Nielsen poll has found that the number of people dissatisfied with the carbon tax has fallen significantly since the legislation was introduced on July 1.

The Government has been working to sell the tax to voters while the Opposition has continued its claims the policy will increase cost of living pressures.

The latest Nielsen survey of 1,400 people is the first to be taken since the introduction of the tax.

It found 38 per cent of voters felt they were worse off under the tax, a drop of 13 points since the last poll was taken a month ago.

Fifty-two per cent said it had made no difference - an increase of 15 points.

However only 5 per cent of respondents believed they were better off under the policy.

Poll shows carbon tax fear easing:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-30/nielsen-poll-on-carbon-tax/4162894
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
@msolga,
Mal bloody Brough.

There's a pudding I never thought would rise again.
msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:34 pm
@dlowan,
You'd know at lot more than I do about his impact on aboriginal communities during the time he was a federal minister, Deb.

But I find his latest (post-LNP endorsement) pronouncements rather amazing:

Quote:
The former Howard government minister Mal Brough says he has done nothing wrong regarding his role in the Peter Slipper case and claims he is the victim of a media conspiracy.

Speaking this morning after being preselected yesterday as the Liberal National Party candidate for Mr Slipper's seat of Fisher, Mr Brough claimed he was just helping somebody in need when he assisted Mr Slipper's chief accuser, James Ashby.

He's just a good guy who was helping out a vulnerable young man! Wink :

Quote:
Court documents tendered by the government and Mr Slipper contend that Mr Brough colluded with Mr Ashby and another Slipper aide, Karen Doane, to damage Mr Slipper and advance Mr Brough's political prospects.

Mr Brough allegedly received from Mr Ashby stolen copies of Mr Slipper's diary extracts. As part of the process, he offered to help find Ms Doane a job, even passing her résumé on to Clive Palmer.

Seems he has a faulty memory, too! :

Quote:
Mr Brough, who originally denied any contact with Mr Ashby when the Slipper case erupted in April, said this morning: "I have always told the truth and the complete truth."

He eventually admitted to three meetings with Mr Ashby and the court documents detail extensive contact as the case of alleged sexual harassment and Cabcharge rorting was formulated.

Slipper saga: Brough blames 'media conspiracy':
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/political-news/slipper-saga-brough-blames-media-conspiracy-20120729-236hf.html

The findings of the Slipper court case are going to make fascinating reading!

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:44 pm
@msolga,
Speaking of Ashby & Slipper ... :

Quote:
THE Ashby-Slipper case has taken a dramatic turn with allegations that James Ashby had sex with a 15-year-old boy and that Peter Slipper recently reported the affair to the Queensland police.

The alleged affair occurred in Townsville where Mr Ashby moved in 2003, according to the ABC’s 7.30, last night.

Ashby faces teen sex claims:
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/ashby-faces-teen-sex-claims-20120730-23agr.html

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:53 pm
@msolga,
This whole saga is concerning. Slipper suddenly gets hit with harassment at the same time the Libs are pissed at him being speaker. Then Ashby gets hit with allegations from 2003 as the slipper case gets to court. The timing is bizarre.

I sense an invisible hand manipulating things - or am I just watching 'The Boss' too closely.
msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:34 pm
@hingehead,
It looks like tit for tat to me, hinge.
Misguided & thoroughly unpleasant & on the nose from the start.
As I see it, at the time Ashby's "sexual harassment" claims (sensationally presented in the media ... remember the titillating emails on the front pages of our newspapers?) & calls for his resignation from parliament would (had they been successful) have conveniently reduced Labor's very slim majority in the house of reps. (Along with the very determined opposition campaign against Craig Thomson to resign, too.)

I don't find it remotely surprising that Slipper & Labor have retaliated to what certainly looked like a campaign to undermine Labor (not just by Ashby & Brough, but others, too).

As to the claims about Ashby's sexual history & Slipper's report to Qld police, interestingly aired on the ABC's 7:30 Report ... they don't surprise me, either.
Ashby has been presented by the Libs as some sort of innocent victim of Slipper's. (Though they've certainly gone quiet about it recently!) Clearly there is a lot more to the whole sorry saga than what was reported at the time.
Yes, the whole situation was/is ugly.
I see it as an indication of how ruthless & ugly the parliament was at the time.
But I don't blame Slipper in the least for wanting to clear his name once all the ugliness had occurred. He has certainly been damaged by it.
When the findings of the court case are revealed I think we'll have a much clearer picture of what occurred, how & why.
I look forward to reading them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:56 pm
@msolga,
Checking out what are cartoonists are thinking today:

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/07/29/3507922/jk-gall-sharpe-20120729214839521988-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:45 am
Just read this & it made me feel sick.
Please someone, tell me it's a very bad dream.

These proposals will be presented to the (US) Senate Committee on Armed Services on Wednesday (US time).

Since when has China been Australia's enemy?
China is our no 1 trading partner.
WTF!? Shocked

Quote:
US bid for multibillion-dollar nuclear aircraft carrier strike group in Perth
August 1, 2012 - 4:25PM
Nick O'Malley
US Correspondent/the AGE/SMH

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/08/01/3518154/nimitz729-620x349.jpg
US military report recommends basing carrier strike group in Perth.

*US base in Perth would cost billions
*Strike group includes aircraft carrier, 9 squadrons, 2 submarines
Link: Read the full report

A report for the US military contains a recommendation to expand America's defence presence in Australia by massively expanding a base in Perth for a US aircraft carrier and supporting fleet.

Comparable cost estimates in the past have ranged from $1 billion to create a nuclear-capable homeport for a carrier at Mayport in Florida to $6.5 billion for similar capability in Guam

The plan is included as part of one of four options set out in a report by the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), commissioned by the Department of Defence.

The report's authors will give testimony before Congress's Armed Services Committee on Wednesday in the US.

The CSIS was directed to consider how the US military could undertake the "pivot" to the Asia-Pacific region announced by President Barack Obama last year in response to China's increasing influence.

The third option in the report - formally titled US Force Posture Strategy in the Asia Pacific Region: An Independent Assessment - details moving a US carrier strike group to the HMAS Stirling base in Perth.

The strike group would include a nuclear powered aircraft carrier, a carrier air wing of up to nine squadrons, one or two guided missile cruisers, two or three guided missile destroyers, one or two nuclear powered submarines and a supply ship.

"Australia's geography, political stability, and existing defence capabilities and infrastructure offer strategic depth and other significant military advantages to the United States in light of the growing range of Chinese weapons systems, US efforts to achieve a more distributed force posture, and the increasing strategic importance of south-east Asia and the Indian Ocean," says the report.

"Enhanced US Navy access to Her Majesty's Australian Ship Stirling (submarines and surface vessels) is a possible next phase of enhanced access arrangements with Australia," it says.

"HMAS Stirling offers advantages including direct blue-water access to the Indian Ocean and to the extensive offshore West Australian Exercise Area and Underwater Tracking Range, submarine facilities including a heavyweight torpedo maintenance centre and the only submarine escape training facility in the southern hemisphere, and space for expanded surface ship facilities, including potentially a dock capable of supporting aircraft carriers."

The report suggests the US could also consider building airport facilities to support "bombers and other aircraft".

It suggests other initiatives could include "increased US support for Australia's ailing Collins class submarine replacement project" and "full Australian participation in US theatre missile defence".

The other options consider how the US military could direct its "force posture" to the region with different levels of military power.

Option one lays out a plan for using existing forces where they are now stationed. Option two describes how the military could operate given the increases already planned for. Option three, which includes the build-up in Australia, presumes an increased force, and option four lays out plans for a decreased force.

The Defence Secretary, Leon Panetta, has already stated he plans to increase the US naval presence in the region from 50 to 60 per cent of the total force.

The report says such a fleet in Perth would be a "force multiplier" and estimated it would provide the equivalent military benefit of having three similar groups based outside the region.

"HMAS Stirling is not nuclear carrier-capable," the report says. "This forward-basing option would require significant construction costs. Comparable cost estimates in the past have ranged from $1 billion to create a nuclear-capable homeport for a carrier at Mayport in Florida to $6.5 billion for similar capability in Guam."

Option three also proposes basing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance drones and aircraft in either Australia or Guam.

According to the report the carrier base would "present some operational constraints" because of Perth's southern location, "further from trouble spots in the Western Pacific than Guam, and further from the Middle East than Diego Garcia".

But it says the distant location could also be a benefit by putting it beyond the increasing range of China's defences.

It said the option was "subject to important variables" including how well the new US Marine presence in Darwin was welcomed by the local community and whether bipartisan support for the increasing military ties between Australia and the US could be maintained.

The study notes that Australia's strategic history "is one of a close alignment with a 'great and powerful friend'".

It says public support for the US alliance is at an eight-year high, with "87 per cent of Australians regarding it as important for Australia's security and 74 per cent considering the United States as Australia's most important security partner over the next 10 years.

"While not mainstream, anti-Americanism is prevalent among some elite circles, particularly in academia, parts of the media, and the fringes of the trade union movement and politics," it says.

"Australia is unique among America's allies in having fought alongside the United States in every major conflict since the start of the 20th century," the report notes.

A spokesman for the CSIS said the think tank was unable to comment on the report until after some of the report's authors testified before the Senate Committee on Armed Services tomorrow, Wednesday US time.

The paper criticised the US Department of Defence for failing adequately to articulate the new Asia Pacific strategy, nor detailing how it would manage the change in the face of budget constraints.

In a statement the Armed Services Committee's chairman, Senator Carl Levin, said he agreed with comments made by the US Secretary of Defence, Leon Panetta, that "efforts to strengthen alliances and partnerships in the Asia-Pacific to advance a common security vision for the future is essential to the US strategy to rebalance toward the region".

In a cover letter to the report written by the CSIS president John Hamre to Mr Panetta, Mr Hamre writes: "We found a strong consensus on this overall objective within the Department, in the policy community generally, and especially with allies and partner countries."

The proposal met a lukewarm reaction in Western Australia with the Premier, Colin Barnett, saying it would never happen.

"I don't think there's any possibility of that happening," he said. "I don't think you could squeeze a nuclear aircraft carrier into Cockburn Sound."

- with Courtney Trenwith

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/us-bid-for-multibilliondollar-nuclear-aircraft-carrier-strike-group-in-perth-20120801-23emq.html#poll

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:01 am
@msolga,
What are we to these US think tank "strategists"?
Chopped liver?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:33 am
@msolga,

Smith rejects proposal for US carrier base:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-02/smith-rejects-us-base-proposal/4171086

Also an interesting & informative article in today's Crikey!, if you're interested.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 05:00 pm
Backlash in QLD against the LNP seems to be gathering momentum. Particularly in the bits that aren't Brisbane.

From facebook

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/539190_241731892614250_729353929_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378305_226918340763950_1879822760_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/524459_292350294205551_1746497528_n.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 06:58 pm
Up to 30 courthouses across Queensland marked for closure as Campbell Newman takes axe to courts
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/08/02/1226435/082379-queensland-attorney-general-jarrod-bleijie.jpg
SILENT WITNESS: Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie has refused to discuss the court cuts. Picture: Peter Wallis Source: The Courier-Mail
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 07:05 pm
I know this is Gillard's labor, but I have said a few times and still think, that the electorate will take what's happening under the new right govts on the eastern seaboard as an indicator of what will happen under Abbott - there won't be a separation of state vs federal issues. With massively weakened ALP oppositions at the state level in NSW and QLD, the only hope for counter-balance is an ALP Federal govt, and as Megalogenis says, Australians are smart enough to see that - and NSW and QLD are two states where the ALP have plenty to gain, seat-wise, federally.

Source

Queensland - The Slogan State
By Andrew Bartlett

Campbell Newman's claim that Queensland is headed for bankruptcy is the latest example of his refusal to take the responsibilities of government seriously, writes former senator Andrew Bartlett

In his victory speech on election night last March, incoming Queensland Premier Campbell Newman said "I pledge to you that we will conduct ourselves with humility, grace and dignity. We will work for all Queenslanders regardless of their vote tonight". His actions since then mark this statement as his first broken promise.

Newman’s pledge is reminiscent of John Howard’s comments upon unexpectedly winning control of the Senate in the 2004 federal election, when he stated that "the government will use its majority in the new Senate very carefully, very wisely and not provocatively" and would not "allow this unexpected but welcome majority in the Senate to go to our heads". Workchoices would follow not long afterwards.

The distorted Queensland election result saw the LNP gain just under 50 per cent of the primary vote, but win 78 out of 89 seats in a Parliament with no Upper House. It would be hard not to let an unprecedented landslide of this magnitude go to the head of the most cautious premier. With Campbell Newman’s energiser bunny style, it is a given that he will charge ahead with little assessment of the real consequences, as opposed to the alternative reality painted by political rhetoric.

As Possum Comitatus recently wrote, key figures in the LNP government still behave as if they were in opposition, a place where it had become "acceptable practice to just make things up as required". The exaggerated sloganeering of the opposition years has continued on unabated now they are in government.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in some of the wild claims about the alleged weakness of the Queensland economy and in particular the state’s budget situation. It has become standard practice for incoming governments to immediately point to an unexpected budget blackhole as a way of getting out of spending promises they no longer want to keep and to justify cuts they want to make but didn’t flag before the election.

Campbell Newman has taken this to new heights (or depths) with his inflated claims about the levels of government debt and the size of the public sector. Of course, this hasn’t stopped him from appointing a bunch of Liberal mates to publicly funded positions, including paying Peter Costello $3300 a day to conduct an "audit" of the state budget.

Newman has used this audit to justify wild claims about inheriting a $100 billion debt. This figure is actually a projected figure based on assumptions about theoretical future expenditure over another seven years. Queensland’s actual debt is less than half this amount. This isn’t to say that there is no need for any spending cuts, but the scale of the cuts needed is being grossly exaggerated.

Campbell Newman’s claim this week that "Queensland is on the way to being bankrupt" and becoming "the Spain of Australian states" might seem laughable to any rational observer, but unfortunately such claims are being used to justify huge cuts to public service jobs and to funding for many non-government organisations that also deliver services to the public.

Not only are the claims being used to justify large cuts, they are also being used to justify those cuts being made at great speed. It is easy to ridicule reviews and inquiries as just wasting time, but cutting large numbers of jobs without properly looking at the likely impacts is simply irresponsible. Even worse than the sudden upfront losses of public services is the impact that flows from the atmosphere of crisis and uncertainty which now permeates the public service and many NGOs that receive government funding. People who are unsure about whether they will still have a job in a few months invariably start looking around for other jobs which may be more secure. The exodus of this group of people will compound the negative impacts.

The extent of the sector-wide public service cuts is such that the Brisbane Times is maintaining an ongoing public service watch to keep track of the job losses. While these cuts unfold, $80 million dollars is being pumped into racing, including a new greyhound racing track, a new turf club on the Gold Coast and even goat racing at Barcaldine.

One area where Campbell Newman has initiated an inquiry is in the area of child safety. This is welcome, however given the long-term underfunding of this critical area, it is hard to see how the inquiry could do anything other than recommend an increase in staffing and resourcing in this area.

How the state government reacts to such a recommendation when the inquiry reports in April next year will provide a big indication of whether Campbell Newman and his team have moved beyond sloganeering and started taking a more responsible approach which gives genuine consideration to the human impact of its decisions, rather than just the financial impact.
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 07:40 pm
Source

United Voice gives Government deadline to withdraw directive to strip job security from public sector

by: Koren Helbig, Robyn Ironside From: The Courier-Mail August 01, 2012 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/08/01/1226440/431616-protest.jpg
PROTEST: United Voice secretary Gary Bullock. Picture: Glenn Barnes Source: The Courier-Mail

PUBLIC sector workers who cost more than private sector labour can now be sacked with a mere stroke of a pen.

A new directive issued by the Public Service Commission to enable mass cuts to Transport and Main Roads, has effectively stripped job security for all but police and health workers.

Union United Voice has given the government until Friday to withdraw the directive or it will launch a public campaign of opposition.

A similar campaign to protect school cleaners in 1995 and 1996 brought down the conservative Borbidge government, United Voice secretary Gary Bullock warned.

The United Voice union says contractual clauses that say members' jobs can't be contracted out for three years are now null.

"Prior to the election (Queensland Premier Campbell) Newman made promises to Queenslanders that he would honour existing enterprise agreements, and he has not done that,'' Mr Bullock said.

Standing before a banner depicting Mr Newman superimposed with the words 'he lied', Mr Bullock said it raised questions about the point of the enterprise bargaining process.

Mr Bullock said the union expected nearly 5000 cleaners and up to 3000 allied health professionals - including hospital radiographers and pharmacists - would be on the chopping block.

The Public Service Commissioner confirmed employment security and contracting out clauses had been removed from "industrial instruments" late yesterday.

Commissioner Dr Brett Heyward said: "Removing these clauses, allows for the efficient restructure of Government departments which will in turn lead to greater efficiencies and savings for the public sector."

"For example, the recent restructure announced by the Minister for Transport and Main Roads."

Unions declared the directive would be challenged in the Supreme Court.

Alex Scott from Together Queensland said the move had given Government free rein to retrench workers and hire private sector labour.

"It means the Government can pretty much decide on a day-to-day basis what their policy is about employment security," he said.

"Given it was introduced with absolutely no consultation we're looking at our options in relation to Supreme Court action around it."

The bombshell came at the end of another shattering day for public servants, who learned almost 2000 jobs would go from Transport and Main Roads before Christmas, including 600 in RoadTek and 70 at Translink.

Another 360 jobs are set to disappear from QBuild with more cuts in coming days.

Transport and Main Roads director-general Michael Caltabiano announced the restructure to staff in an email that did not mention the number of jobs being axed.

Many workers found out from reports of Minister Scott Emerson's announcement in Parliament of 1970 job cuts to save $287 million over four years.

As part of the restructure, 16 of 37 senior executives will go but Translink CEO Neil Scales will be spared, becoming a new deputy director-general.

The TMR and QBuild cuts take the number of "official" job losses in the public sector to more than 6700.

Mr Scott said another 15,000 cuts were expected in the lead up to the September 11 budget.

- with AAP
0 Replies