Storytelling Idol Competition

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:01 am
cavfancier wrote:
drom, if you can make an hors d'oeuvre, you can write a short story. Laughing

My problem isn't writing the stories; I write all the time... (and I sent mine to Bugger yesterday;) my problem is that I need about 100 pages to set out the characters and the scene, then another hundred to change how the characters seem! I'm not great at succinctness. See, you hit the note perfectly and left; that's the way to do it Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:03 am
I also make delicious hors d'oeuvres, and don't get me started on my amuse bouches...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:03 am
Oh right; I haven't a clue as to what that involves; we tend to use crooked voting systems and 'little favours' over here Laughing.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:14 am
cavfancier wrote:
I also make delicious hors d'oeuvres, and don't get me started on my amuse bouches...

You're going to bribe them with your haute cuisine, aren't you! Paying them off with Swiss cheese and salades niçoises; how despicable!

(I know you don't need to do that)

You have siblings on A2K too! It's unfair! Laughing

As for comedy, I know your prowess- I don't think that you've ever told a joke that hasn't made me laugh. As for me, well I tend to use the style of humour capitalizing on others' discomforts; think 'Curb your enthusiasm,' without the pizazz.

(Hmm, you're selling yourself short!!!)

Well... I can make great cakes... I can give you a free holiday?! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:25 am
Seeing as I rarely have any money for a trip, I'd be happy to accept a free vacation.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:39 am
Yay... is a flight to Paraguay today alright?

*That's one down...* Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:42 am
Sorry, no drugs to mule this week.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:21 am
Surprising though it may be, but I am not a millionaire drugs oligarch sending innocents to their deaths in trying to get heroin. Seriously, I'm not. And any further mention of it will result in a libel case.

*Psst, Cav, I thought that you were in on 'The Game;' we decided to split proceeds 50/50, did we not?*
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:40 am
Crapping out those condoms just makes my ass hurt too much. What about a cheap flight to San Francisco, speaking of ass? Actually, it's an amazing city. I like it much better than L.A.

Now, back to food. So, Saturday night, I did dinner for eight, with one vegetarian. Everyone always says "Oh, don't base the whole menu around one person" but therein lies the challenge. Satisfy everyone. It was a huge success. Here was the menu:

Amuse of eggplant caviar on a rosette of thinly sliced cucumber, garnished with a little point of sesame flatbread and a sprig of parsley

Roasted butternut squash soup seasoned with house-made garam masala, garnished with chestnuts, sage leaves and white truffle oil

The meat eaters got a honking Moroccan-spiced lamb shank on top of a North African vegetable stew, including red lentils, chickpeas, tomatoes, green beans, green and yellow zuchinni, onions, carrots, parsnips, garlic and spices. The veggie got a double helping of stew, sans shank. A simple sprig of coriander garnished the plates.

Palate-cleansing salad of watercress and Fuji apple, with an apple cider vinaigrette, sweetened with just a touch of organic wildflower honey.

Warm chocolate cakes with house-made banana ice cream, and garnished with a half of a mini banana, referred to as "five finger" bananas in the West Indies. It was a sweet evening. The veggie was fine with dairy, just no meat, and she loved dessert. :cool:
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:02 am
Mmm... That has made everyone hungry, I'd guess. It certainly did me... I've had one of the deserts that you made, but I made it unsystematically. Hmm... I can offer... (low fat) cheese on toast? Copious amounts of rosé? Ah, forget it... I'll leave the banqueting to you, Cav. I'll be the sleeping partner.

Laughing Crapping out condoms? No one asked you to be the smuggler; you're meant to be the organizer. People got pissed off when they found out that they weren't concealing heroin or cocaine in their bodily crevices, they were smuggling pistachio nuts! Ouch.

I'm fine with a flight to San Francisco, even though I have no reason to be giving out free tickets. San Francisco looks nice; I would like to go. I would rather go there than Los Ángeles; I don't really know why.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:15 am
I can hear the officials now: "Well, those pistachios have a crack in them....therefore, it's crack."
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:23 am
cavfancier wrote:
I can hear the officials now: "Well, those pistachios have a crack in them....therefore, it's crack."

Laughing That's true; they'd either say something like that, or something about SARS...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:32 am
SARS = Stupid ass reasoning sonny!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:48 am
Hey, people have asked me whether Argentina is near China before!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:42 am
Come to SF in the Spring! (SF a2k meet.) Many of us will be there in a major foodie capital with little money to check it all out. We can go to restaurants and ask to see menus...

edited to improve spelling effort
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:35 pm
Hmm, sounds nice Osso. We may actually be planning a trip to SF in the new year. Keep me informed. I've been there before (went to Stars for dinner and all) but Mrs. cav hasn't been, though she's been to L.A.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:43 pm
Hot off the wire, the verrrrrrrry latest - http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=484802#484802
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 02:40 pm
you need to tie all the links together so I can find them - I've been asleep at the wheel again
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 02:50 pm
In case nobody caught it, Eva wins round three, but I'm not sure how many times Joe Nation voted. Just kidding. Laughing
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:46 pm
i don't know who could MISS it :-)
0 Replies