Safe Sites to watch TV epiosodes on

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
Can anyone recommend a list of safe websites for streaming full episodes? I know hulu (great for vintage stuff). I've heard sidereel is ok. I am trying to avoid getting a computer virus.

Thanks!

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:00 pm
@littlek,
Good question (bumping)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:05 pm
Thanks (bump)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:16 pm
@littlek,
Most of them are illegal, so they will bombard you with ads (and lots of malware) and will often not be around for long.

However if you go to the studio sites you will sometimes find them. For example: www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:17 pm
Well, poop.
0 Replies

nailcutter

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:00 pm
thanks
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:18 pm
tudou.com was recommended. It's out of China. I haven't found it very helpful as it's written in Mandarin/Cantonese. Haven't tried all that hard to find an English version....(the translated pages on google makes for some funny reading though!)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:12 am
@littlek,
Have you tried tv.com? Abc also streams their content on their site.

Right now I'm using Netflix (not free but at $8/month for unlimited streaming it's cheap) the most but will occasionally use hulu, tv.com or abc.
Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:40 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Have you tried tv.com? Abc also streams their content on their site.

Right now I'm using Netflix (not free but at $8/month for unlimited streaming it's cheap) the most but will occasionally use hulu, tv.com or abc.
I hate the Canadian content laws as enforced by the CRTC, so even though Netflix is coming to Canada this year, I assume they will still be obliged to maintain the crappy Canadian content.

Is there some way I can get the US version of Netflix? I know about proxy servers but they do not seem to work well for high bit-rate streaming.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:45 am
@Chumly,
I use a paid VPN service from HideMyAss.com ($10/month) to watch Netflix in Costa Rica. Proxies won't work for the most part but a good VPN makes it tolerable.

And with Netflix you don't need to leave it on. You just need it to browse the site and start playback. You turn it on (HMA's VPN comes with a desktop client that lets you do this at a click) and get past device activation but once it starts downloading the movie information you can turn it off and stream over your regular connection (though their paid vpn service is often fast enough to stream).
littlek

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have used abc and hulu, but not tv.com. I'll go pop in....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:55 pm
I often use www.clicker.com I have never had any problem with it, but I have noticed that they have fewer Perry Mason episodes than when I first started watching it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:51 pm
I guess I should say that right now I am most interested in watching shows which are seriously bogarted by the makers (eg: HBOs True Blood).
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:33 pm
@littlek,
But they come up pretty quickly on iTunes.
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:41 pm
@dlowan,
i get the impression from the sites mentioned she's looking for free viewing
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:46 pm
@djjd62,
Of course.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:50 pm
@dlowan,
You know, even Steve Jobs thinks the prices on itunes tv shows are insane. I can't justify paying that much for their locked in (DRM) content.

Little k, if you know someone who has a cable outlet at home that they aren't using you can get a slingbox (one time payment for the device) which lets you control and watch that connection over the internet easily.
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah? I tend to buy episode by episode so I don't notice the pain much.

Mind you, my computer set-up sucks for watching stuff, so anything paid is likely too much.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 07:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am obliged!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
How hard would it be for someone to TiVo the episodes, save them from the TiVo's hard disk to a DVD, and send the DVD to littlek? I never did it before and suspect that DRM would be a problem. But problems are there to be worked around.
0 Replies