Really I Mean.......Really?

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:45 am
I'm rendered speechless..... not an easy thing

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/article/army-national-guard-captain-back-iraq-finds-homeowners/story?id=10910681
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 757 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:13 am
Why didn't the association simply ask the wife?

They should rot in hell.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
Brandon and I in agreement.....what's the world coming to? Very Happy
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:32 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Why didn't the association simply ask the wife?

They should rot in hell.

This is a really sad story and I hope they get their home back.

As to the series of events. It does seem that at least 4 letters were sent. The wife did not open them. I wonder if she opened any other mail that was received. Also, they appear to have tried to check on military service.

Quote:
He said that, in March of 2008, the association even checked a Defense Department online database and requested information about Clauer's military status with the U.S. Army Enlisted Records and Evaluation Center. The center sent them a certificate, dated March 27, 2008, saying that Clauer was "not in the military service of the U.S. Army."

"They did the due dilligence," said Heritage Lake lawyer Patrick Whitaker.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:43 am
Who bought the home for $3200??? then sold it for 35K

Quote:
Texas homeowners associations foreclosing over minor issues, including one "outrageous" case in which a woman claimed an association tried to foreclose on her after she used black duct tape to cover an exposed pipe. The association, he said, had requested she use silver duct tape.

well thats understandable.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:00 am
Quote:
But the homeowners' association spokesman said that, at the time of the foreclosure in May, 2008, the association didn't know that Clauer was serving with the military.

"They're not mind readers and the fact of the matter is nobody told them," he said.

I think that there was fault on all sides. Although tragic, the wife had received notices from the association, but had not opened them. Although I cannot blame the association (they were doing the right thing by sending out notices), it would have been a kindness for one of the association officers, before beginning foreclosure proceedings, just to see why the woman was not responding to the mailings.

I also blame the military. I think that when a service person is called to active duty, they should be given information as to their rights.

Egads, the government has the money to write pamphlets on everything and anything. How about a booklet, "While you are away" defining the rights that a military person has at home while he is deployed?

In my community, we are aware of a number of very elderly people who simply cannot afford association dues. After investigating, the association, in a number of cases, has waived the dues for people who really can't afford it.

rabel22

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
I wonder who among the association got a kickback for selling a $300,000 home for $3200. This kind of shyt is why I live in the sticks as far away from people as I can get.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:41 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
This reminds me of a book I just finished, House of Sand and Fog, by Andre Dubus. An engaging and depressing book with similar (but not the same, no military involved) circumstances. Just finished it this morning, putting it down with a thud.

Tough story, this recent one.. issues on all sides, but sad to me that the homeowner's associations have so much power.
0 Replies