So, seriously, what is philosophy anyway?

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:12 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I have the strange feeling we are dealing with a high maintenance crowd.

We're pretty high maintenance too in Management's view, or so the hamsters told me.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:19 am
Its all about a fishing rod and a river and waiting...waiting not for the fish of course, but to let the river flow down the stream...its quite easy ! Mr. Green
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:17 am
... it sure seems we're spending a lot of time talking about talking or talking about who's talking about talking the talk; rather than just talking and enjoying it for what it is.

And this "use -vs- them" verbiage; defending one against the other when no defense is necessary, might feel good "to keep our cubby warm and chummy" but no integration's going to happen as long as we each wave our own banner. Historically, humans are notorious for labeling and separating themselves from "those others" to make themselves feel good.

We'll all end up losing more that could possibly be gained the more we keep pursuing this "group these other people together then critique them"-horseshit. I can guarantee no one would very much like me busting in and criticizing their threads; or (like the rest of society's petty polemics) have we completely hung civility out to dry? Kinda looks like it...

Just my two hockey puck's worth
Theaetetus

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:27 am
@Khethil,
The "us vs. them" is rather disheartening and discouraging. It is causing me to lose interest rapidly. I have already addressed the main problem with this general attitude earlier in the thread. I could just put all of these members on ignore that seem to want to perpetuate this attitude, but really what good would it do. They seem to be here just to get under the skin of others, and if not me, then it will just be someone else instead.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:02 am
@Theaetetus,
The best approach is probably just to discuss what you want to discuss, and not worry about the "us vs. them" issue.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:16 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

... it sure seems we're spending a lot of time talking about talking or talking about who's talking about talking the talk; rather than just talking and enjoying it for what it is.

And this "use -vs- them" verbiage; defending one against the other when no defense is necessary, might feel good "to keep our cubby warm and chummy" but no integration's going to happen as long as we each wave our own banner. Historically, humans are notorious for labeling and separating themselves from "those others" to make themselves feel good.

We'll all end up losing more that could possibly be gained the more we keep pursuing this "group these other people together then critique them"-horseshit. I can guarantee no one would very much like me busting in and criticizing their threads; or (like the rest of society's petty polemics) have we completely hung civility out to dry? Kinda looks like it...

Just my two hockey puck's worth

Talking about talking is the second intention... It is not philosophy.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:19 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:

The "us vs. them" is rather disheartening and discouraging. It is causing me to lose interest rapidly. I have already addressed the main problem with this general attitude earlier in the thread. I could just put all of these members on ignore that seem to want to perpetuate this attitude, but really what good would it do. They seem to be here just to get under the skin of others, and if not me, then it will just be someone else instead.

I don't care where I post... A wall is a wall is a wall even in a toilet; which is not what i am saying this site is... Unless it is one of those high class toilets with a mile of shiney urenals all begging to be defiled...
Theaetetus

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:42 am
@Fido,
Nice one Fido. Now I have a whole new perspective of the aesthetics of the forum.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I don't care where I post... A wall is a wall is a wall even in a toilet; which is not what i am saying this site is... Unless it is one of those high class toilets with a mile of shiney urenals all begging to be defiled...

Good way to look at it
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:58 am
When I post in a philosophical manner, I tend to consider it a form of publishing. These posts might be more casual and certainly briefer than I would wish, but they are nevertheless made as a serious undertaking. In a majority of them, I wish to suggest a different manner of looking at a problem, or to encourage further discussion by asking questions that seem to me relevant to the subject.

Now, as in any published work, there will be those who will earnestly attempt to consider my remarks, those who will dismiss them out of hand, those to whom they mean little or nothing, and those to whom they are an interference with another project entirely beyond engaging in an authentic dialogue. It is for the first group of readers that I write, and it is their comments that engage my attention.

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:46 am
@jgweed,
It is my hope that worthless people paying little for the privilage will give to my words little weight, and no thought... If any one took me seriously I would be in trouble...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:12 pm
@ughaibu,
I understand words in the English language at last as well as you do, and from the evidence of what you post, probably better. There has been a philosophy forum at this site since its inception in late 2002--that you can't find it is no fault of mine. The refugees (Duh) are those from the now defunct web site which was absorbed here. If you can't understand things this simple, what are you doing online?
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:53 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I understand words in the English language at last as well as you do, and from the evidence of what you post, probably better. There has been a philosophy forum at this site since its inception in late 2002--that you can't find it is no fault of mine. The refugees (Duh) are those from the now defunct web site which was absorbed here. If you can't understand things this simple, what are you doing online?

We are no longer refugees... We have been assimilated... We are one with the borg...
kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:08 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

confusionist say:

philosophy is a mountain that one a can conquer, but two cannot climb

And that means, what?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I believe that it means LOVE OF WISDOM

What is true is that the etymology of the word, "philosophy" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "love of wisdom". But why would that mean that the word, "philosophy" means, "the love of wisdom"? The etymology of the word, "lunatic" comes from the Latin meaning "influenced by the Moon". But you don't think that when we call Kim Jung Il a lunatic, that we are saying that he (or his behavior) is influenced by the Moon. Do you?
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
@kennethamy,
All dictionary definitions are a place to start...It is our job to define life with our being, and everything of life at the same time...
kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:37 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

All dictionary definitions are a place to start...It is our job to define life with our being, and everything of life at the same time...

Start what?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:50 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
We are no longer refugees... We have been assimilated... We are one with the borg...

I'm believin' that . . . so, are you now wearing vinyl lingerie for men?
Huxley

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
Well, I wear mine for women, but I'm picky like that.
Ionus

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:26 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
What is true is that the etymology of the word, "philosophy" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "love of wisdom". But why would that mean that the word, "philosophy" means, "the love of wisdom"? The etymology of the word, "lunatic" comes from the Latin meaning "influenced by the Moon". But you don't think that when we call Kim Jung Il a lunatic, that we are saying that he (or his behavior) is influenced by the Moon. Do you?
The definition of one word and its usage has what to do with a different definition of a different word in a different usage ?