32-Bit Problem

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:08 am
I recently purchased a new computer, which is an HP 64-bit. I now find myself with a problem. My Adobe Audition recording program and my HP Laserjet P3005 printer will not install on my computer because they are configured for 32-bit.

I have emailed HP to see if they can help but have had no response from them as of yet. None from Adobe either. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get these to work on my new computer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,936 • Replies: 27
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:23 am
@Arella Mae,
Go to their web sites and download the proper drivers for your new machine. That should do it. Good luck.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:50 am
@Arella Mae,
What operating system are you running?

What version of Adobe Audition are you running?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions

Quote:
Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:54 am
@rosborne979,
I can get the drivers for the printer but I need the software that is required and it is at a N/A status right now.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:55 am
@DrewDad,
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. If I recall correctly (I'm not at home so I can't check) I am running Adobe Audition 2.0.

I will check on Adobe and see if I can get updated drivers. Thanx!
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:01 am
@Arella Mae,
What printing software do you need for that? The HP Laserjet P3005 is just a printer, not a scanner or photo printer, so all you should need is the printer driver.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:03 am
@Arella Mae,
I see that Adobe Audition 3 (32-bit version) is supposed to run on 64-bit Windows. Can't find any information on Adobe Audition 2, so you may need to upgrade.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:23 am
@DrewDad,
I sure was hoping all I had to do was find new drivers. That is not a cheap program! Not sure what an upgrade would cost but will check it out. Thanx!
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
@Arella Mae,
I'm not at all certain that you need to upgrade. I'm just saying that I found information about version 3.

Most 32-bit programs will work fine under a 64-bit environment. It is when the software attempts to access hardware directly that it runs into compatibility issues (generally speaking).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@Arella Mae,
Troubleshoot recording, playback, and monitoring in Adobe Audition 2 and Audition 3
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:33 am
@DrewDad,
That is what I thought also DrewDad but there is a CD software Disk for it. I have already downloaded the new drivers but it will not run without that software being installed.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:37 am
@Butrflynet,
Um, I'm not sure how this is supposed to help me. I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. I can't even get the Adobe Audition installed on my new computer. It is in a zipped filed, as it was when I installed it on my other computer, but when I try to install it, it says there is a problem. I would have to get the exact wording but I'm at work so I will get it later.

I do appreciate everyone's help!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:40 am
@Arella Mae,
It gives a step by step road map of what to do. Take a look at steps 2 and three for an example of this.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:44 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
It is in a zipped filed, as it was when I installed it on my other computer

Is this a file you downloaded after purchasing or a copy of the program someone gave you?

If from a purchased download site, you should be able to go back to the source to download the file again.

The problem may also be with your zip extractor software. Have you successfully extracted any other zip files on your new computer?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:53 am
From the HP technical support website:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition Frequently Asked Questions

# What do I have to do with my 32-bit Windows applications so they will run?

Most 32-bit Windows applications just work. The application does not need to be changed and nothing needs to be configured in the OS.

Occasionally an application may complain that it runs only on Windows 95 or one of the other Windows OSs. The "Compatibility mode" of that program can be modified by opening the program Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and set the "Compatibility mode" to the requested OS. This will "fool" the application into thinking it is running on one of the other OSs. Note this does not always work, see below.

# What are some common Windows 32-bit application compatibility issues?

Some applications require a 32-bit driver. The software can install but the driver can not. For example, most anti-virus software uses a file system filter driver. On x64 all drivers, including file system filters, must be 64-bit. The 32-bit antivirus software can not install their file system filter driver and will not function. Note that 64-bit anti-virus software exists today and other vendors will have solutions later in 2005 or 2006.

Some applications may be coded to only run on a specific version of the OS. If the detected OS is not one of the allowable types the application will not execute. Sometimes adjusting the "Compatibility mode" described above will work around this. If "Compatibility mode" does not work the software vendor must provide an updated application that allows the application to run.

Many application installers include a 16-bit stub to identify the machine type and start a 32-bit install engine. The 16-bit portion of the installer will fail since none of the Windows 64-bit OSs can execute 16-bit code. Microsoft has identified this as a critical blocker to x64 adoption. To overcome this 64-bit Windows detects specific 16-bit installers and transparently instantiates an equivalent 32-bit version if one is available. Note that the 64-bit Windows Installer can seamlessly install 32-bit MSI-based applications on 64-bit Windows.

Here's a link to the HP 64-bit drivers. Since you don't specify the exact model you have, I can't give you a direct link. Insert your model in the search field and it will locate it for you.

HP 64-bit drivers
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:58 am
Microsoft Vista (7) instructions for compressing and uncompressing (extracting) zip files

If that doesn't work, this is a free zip program that will work with your computer:

http://www.7-zip.org/
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh thank you so much! I'll work on this when I get home tonight. I love my Adobe Audition program (someone did give it to me) and I really want to have it back but it's not a program I'm gonna go out and spend money on. My Printer is a different story. I love that printer and it's pretty new. I'm going to see what I can do! Thanx so so much!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:28 am
My friend, Dina, came over and she got my Adobe Audition program to load and work on my computer. But while it was on the 32-bit computer the recorded sound was perfectly clear it is now (on the 64-bit) garbled and has a strange metallic sound.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can remedy this?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:59 am
@Arella Mae,
Is the quality of sound played from other sources OK?
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:06 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Is the quality of sound played from other sources OK?
Yes. Anything coming out of my speakers sounds perfectly fine except what I have recorded on this program.
0 Replies