That "healthcare reform" that disappointed you is actually pretty good.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:12 am
More data points on health reform

Health Affairs wrote:
The new U.S. health care reform law was the best option for providing health insurance to the largest number of people while keeping federal government costs as low as possible, according to an analysis by the RAND Corp., a nonprofit policy think tank.

Researchers used a specially designed computer model to simulate more than 2,000 different policy scenarios and found that the only alternatives to the new health reform law were all politically difficult because they would have included much higher penalties for noncompliance, lower government subsides, and less generous Medicaid expansion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:14 am
@DrewDad,
Well, I sure hope that is a good analysis.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:28 pm
@DrewDad,
Keeping government costs as low as possible, even if true, is not quite the same as keeping costs as low as possible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:42 pm
I feel it was a significant - and welcome - first step. They need to cut the waste and overspending for military as well as corporate welfare to help meet our health needs.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
Health insurance reform can't come soon enough for those of us who are uninsured because of denial of insurance due to pre-existing conditions.

I had my 3-month follow up exam with the dermotologist this afternoon. It is healing nicely, but there are still two small spots of skin cancer on my chin where she removed the large one. She didn't have any more samples of the Aldara cream to give me and had to write a prescription. I about fainted at Walgreens after asking to tell me how much it would cost before filling the prescription. For just the generic version of it, it would have cost $600 dollars!! I guess I'll just have to deal with the skin cancer on my chin until the doctor can get some more free samples to give me.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
Butterfly, call the original maker of the drug (not the generic maker) and tell them you can't afford the drug. They might ask for proof of income, but there is a chance they will give you a coupon for a heavily discounted rate depending on what you made in the last 12 months.

If the insurance companies are still calling the shots I don't have much hope of reform. I want single payer Medicare for all and I'm willing to pay $3,600 more in taxes, the same the average person pays in France for superior healthcare. Right now healthcare would cost me and my husband $16,000 and we have no pre-conditions, so we have none.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:29 pm
The congress could have passed single payer but the people who are really important to our politicians dident want it. Who? The insurance companies of course.
0 Replies