Why People Seek Solace In Gods.

stevecook172001

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All,
Why, indeed? Have you ever sought God?

I would be happy indeed, if some of you would take the time to answer any or all of the questions below.

1) Have you ever sought God?

Yes
Quote:
2) Why?

The death of an important other when I was achild
Quote:
3) Did you find what you sought?

No
Quote:
4) Are you still looking?

No
Quote:
5) Are you convinced that there is a God?

There is no evidence whatsoever of a God.
Quote:
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER?

Not applicable
Quote:
7) Do you sin?

Define "sin"
Quote:
8) Do you believe in an afterlife?

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of an afterlife.
Quote:
9) Have you ever had an epiphany)

No
Quote:
10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?

Yes (see (2)
Quote:
All your replies will be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you, and journey well.
Mark...

You're welcome
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:21 am
@stevecook172001,
Hi Steve,

Define "Sin" you say? Ok - For those who are given over to sin - "That which is against the will of their God". For those who are without deitic-belief - Doesn't apply. "Vice would suffice" in this latter divide though.
Thank you for participating Steve, and have a fantastic day, sir.
Mark...
auroreII

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:35 pm

1) Have you ever sought God? Yes
2) Why? I needed to know.
3) Did you find what you sought? Yes
4) Are you still looking? Yes
5) Are you convinced that there is a God? Yes
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER? According to my religion only one man has ever been able to do that. (and it's not me)
7) Do you sin? Yes
8) Do you believe in an afterlife? Yes
9) Have you ever had an epiphany)I guess so if we are talking about meaning number 3 below.
Main Entry: epiph·a·ny
Pronunciation: \i-ˈpi-fə-nē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural epiph·a·nies
Etymology: Middle English epiphanie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin epiphania, from Late Greek, plural, probably alteration of Greek epiphaneia appearance, manifestation, from epiphainein to manifest, from epi- + phainein to show — more at fancy
Date: 14th century
1 capitalized : January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church in commemoration of the baptism of Christ
2 : an appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being
3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure b : a revealing scene or moment
!0) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?maybe

0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:47 pm
@mark noble,
Rather than that which is against the will of their god- How about that which is against the the laws of their beliefs or religion? Everyone believes something, even to claim no belief constitutes a belief. A belief in nothing?
mark noble

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:46 am
@auroreII,
Hi aurorell,
Against the will of their God, is fine too. Religion defined means> "Way of life", ergo all living things are religious. Thank you for your sincerity. have a great day aurorell. And thank you for replying.
Mark...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:49 am
To claim no belief constitutes a belief is like calling homeless people: those whose assets include a not house.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:52 am
I was furious with God and searched Him in my Rage... When He spoke to me I laughed and called Him Peter Pan ! Thãt got God mad. Me too and I pomped Up the voluma of the stereo to scare Him of. Seven years bad luck followed me since... I search no longer God+I want to Join His Forces
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:24 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Hi Pepijn,
To turn your wrath upon God (my version of God) is to turn your wrath on yourself.
Nice to see you back, Pepijn.
Have a feast of a day, sir. Where's your dog gone, from your avatar?
Mark...
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:30 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

To claim no belief constitutes a belief is like calling homeless people: those whose assets include a not house.

Laughing
Excellent post
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:03 am
@Eorl,
Hi Eorl,
Don't you have a "way of living" then, Do you not follow your own logical derived routines? That's all "religion" implies. The belief systems that are misconceivedly called "religions" are somewhat better referred to as "fixed-religions". This implies a collectively generated system. Every living thing is Religious (has a pattern of routine or method it applies to orderly navigate its' way through existence), but only humans (And only some, at that) set themselves upon the shelf of "fixed-religion".
Do exscuse me if my comment is perceived to be out of place - It was wtitten in the manner we used to relate to things at philiforum.
Have a great day Eorl.
Mark...
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm
Everyone believes in something, whether they want to or not.

If you live then you have the perception of purpose. Purpose is derived entirely from belief. Whether it is the belief in God or a simple belief that the chair you are sitting in will not vanish from underneath you.

Without purpose, men and women could not survive. Rather, they would have no reason to. Seeing as you are still alive and on here, you have the perception of purpose and thus you have belief.

Seeing as we all live on belief and faith, what do you believe in?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:22 pm
@mark noble,
Welcome to A2K
1) Have you ever sought God?
Yes
2) Why?
I was 7 and completely enraptured with how perfect and wonderful Jesus was.
3) Did you find what you sought?
For a long while I did.
4) Are you still looking?
Nope.
5) Are you convinced that there is a God?
Nope
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER?
I don't have faith anymore, so yeah. I guess so.
7) Do you sin?
Well, if I don't have faith...I'm not sure what constitutes sin. I'm vastly and heroically imperfect and even though I attempt to live up to my standards of ethics - many of which derive from your garden variety Judeo-Christian ethic (Bob help us) - I fail routinely.
8) Do you believe in an afterlife?
No.
9) Have you ever had an epiphany?
No
10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?
No. I was just nuts about that Jesus guy.
mark noble

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:54 am
@Lash,
Hi Lash!

When you say "nuts about Jesus", do you mean the teachings, methods, nature of, etc, or the image that the tv or film-makers delivered onto our screens?

Thank you Lash!
Have a lovely day!
Mark...
Lash

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 02:49 pm
@mark noble,
The life we studied in one of the four gospels...what he said, how he responded to stuff, his philosophy. I thought he was the coolest human being I'd ever heard of.
mark noble

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:13 pm
@Lash,
Hi Lash!

What made you change your mind? Please.

Mark...
Lash

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:42 am
@mark noble,
I discovered that a few earlier cultures had written the same story about a guy who was endowed with the exact same gifts and biography as Jesus. It was also a stumbling block for me that the Bible ( previously thought to me to me to be some pristine document, ordained by God himself) was edited by a group of people who threw out several books and added what suited them. Also, Romans throws the whole thing off for me. If God created us - why in **** would he create people solely for the purpose of condemning them? He made gay people and in Romans, singles them out for Hell. No God I could worship would do such a thing.
mark noble

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:38 pm
@Lash,
Hi Lash!

I find myself in complete agreement with you.
Thank you for sharing this with me!

Kind regards!
Mark...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 09:34 am
Why do people seek solace in Gods? To overcome the primordial fear of mortality. It's the single most important factor that leads humans to theism, supernatural beliefs and religion.
Wilso

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 09:37 am
BTW, I'm not immune to that fear. But I'm not going to invent an afterlife, in order to overcome the anxiety created by the knowledge of the inevitable end of this one.
mpetrangelo

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 09:16 pm
@mark noble,
My answer to you is , for the 1st question. NO , God sought me.
2. He loves all and Me too.
3. I found God in return and am comforted by His prescence
4.no
5. Absolutely
6. No One can. This why Jesus Died.
7. Yes
8. Absolutely, yes
9. No
10.No.
0 Replies